Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Polian on Jags Roster Improvements

Jags were last place in Punt Return yardage last year.  That sucks.  But it doesn't mean a second year player can't make strides, however.  Or that a steady vet like Doss couldn't help out.  Will be interesting to see that part pan out.  

Kick-off returns were a different story...

The Jags were 9th in Kick-off Returns in '13.   (Todman's average of 27.4 ranked him 7th in the league) 

The team did quite well in kick-off coverage, # of touchbacks, punt coverage, and punt yardage as well.  I'm sure it's fun to bash all of these things, but they make a difference.  It just paled in comparison to the glaring  failures of the offensive and defensive units last year. 

ST rarely wins you games - but there's an aggregate contribution that is sometimes very meaningful.  I, for one, think its nice that Caldwell was able to improve that unit as much as he did in one season.  If they improve again, then Polian is almost certainly correct. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:ST rarely wins you games - but there's an aggregate contribution that is sometimes very meaningful.  I, for one, think its nice that Caldwell was able to improve that unit as much as he did in one season.  If they improve again, then Polian is almost certainly correct. 
Overall, it was a good unit, I just thought it was funny that he mentioned Ace returning as playing a part in that being a strength of the team.

Quote:Overall, it was a good unit, I just thought it was funny that he mentioned Ace returning as playing a part in that being a strength of the team.
It's certainly a bit odd.  One has to imagine he sees a lot of potential in Ace's PR skills despite the fact that they didn't equate to return yards in his rookie season. 

I think Ace could certainly be a mid-tier (or better) return guy if he can respond to some coaching and get a bit more north and south right away.  Perhaps he feels a bit more strongly along those lines. 

Quote:It's certainly a bit odd.  One has to imagine he sees a lot of potential in Ace's PR skills despite the fact that they didn't equate to return yards in his rookie season. 

I think Ace could certainly be a mid-tier (or better) return guy if he can respond to some coaching and get a bit more north and south right away.  Perhaps he feels a bit more strongly along those lines. 
yeah I thought so too, another factor is he was asked to do much more on offense than intended when we drafted him

I do still hold out hope that he could be a good returner for us, but far from a sure thing IMO