Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Polian on Jags Roster Improvements

Quote:Lol one of the best special teams in the league. May even lead the league in punting yards again, yawn!

All three phases are important. 

Huh

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

You can't please some people. They used yo complain because no one ever talks about the jags. Now the jags get some exposure and its a yawn fest...
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:We got guys in the middle rounds who could have been first or seconds. Colvin is another that springs to mind.

I like to think of it like this.

Ryan Shazier 2nd round - Smaller LB with premiere athletics and coverage ability = Telvin Smith 5th round - SMaller LB with premiere athletics and coverage ability

Dee Ford 1st round - undersized Pass rusher with crazy first step who needs refinement = Chris Smith  5th round - Undersized pass rusher with crazy first step who needs refinement.

Caldwell knows what he is doing.

Quote:I think the d-line has potential and will be much improved. Still, I think they are in the middle of the pack when comparing them to the rest of the d-lines in the league. And I completely disagree about our runningbacks. I have yet to see a team this preseason where I felt comfortable saying we are better than these guys at this position. I like the promise at linebacker, but I don't think we'll significantly improve until we can upgrade the MLB position as I think Poz is just average.
Poz is average?

He led the NFL in solo tackles with 122, 2nd in combined tackles with 162, 11 PDef 2 Int 1 TDs & 1 FF last year.

I'm not gonna go all homer and say he's the best or top 5 even... But he is not average.

Bill Polian needs to be told that every time he goes in front of a camera, he needs to look in a mirror first.   In that interview with JP Shadrick, he had a big old booger hanging out of his nose. 

Quote:All three phases are important. 

All three phases are not equally important.

Quote:All three phases are not equally important.

Except that one year the Chargers had I think top 5 offense and defense but missed the playoffs because the difference in their wins/losses was special teams. You have to have 3 good units or you don't make it to the post season.

I'm thrilled at the progress that't been make throughout the franchise. As for the roster upgrades, all is positive w/the D-Line leading the pack. LB, DB, QB, RB, WR, OL are all upgraded to the point of possibly surprising the league as Polian has stated.

I Certainly hope so...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:I like to think of it like this.

Ryan Shazier 2nd round - Smaller LB with premiere athletics and coverage ability = Telvin Smith 5th round - SMaller LB with premiere athletics and coverage ability

Dee Ford 1st round - undersized Pass rusher with crazy first step who needs refinement = Chris Smith  5th round - Undersized pass rusher with crazy first step who needs refinement.

Caldwell knows what he is doing.

Excellent = Comparison...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:Bill Polian needs to be told that every time he goes in front of a camera, he needs to look in a mirror first.   In that interview with JP Shadrick, he had a big old booger hanging out of his nose. 

I think those might have been warts...(seriously).....   But I think they need to establish a "Polian Rule".   Some people should never be filmed in High Def.

Quote:Polian seems to be impressed with the job Caldwell is doing.

Especially the hiring of this guy.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Especially the hiring of this guy.

Not gonna lie, that particular hiring bothers me. Not so much that Caldwell hired someone he was familiar with, but rather that there were some disturbing rumblings about the Polians towards the end of their Indianapolis run.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Not gonna lie, that particular hiring bothers me. Not so much that Caldwell hired someone he was familiar with, but rather that there were some disturbing rumblings about the Polians towards the end of their Indianapolis run.
I felt the exact same way. It's disconcerting. But.... if these two drafts are any indication, it may have actually been a good hire.  

Hard to say for sure of course, but I'm adopting an "If it ain't broke...." philosophy concerning the scouting dept for now. 

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.jaguars.com/team/scouts/chris-polian.html'>Especially the hiring of this guy.</a>

Yeah, I knew he was on staff but it is still good to hear from a guy that has built some good teams in the past. I know he's a liitle bit of a goofball and all but it's better that, than hearing him say "whoa, the Jags front office is really screwing things up, BIG time". ;-)
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:I felt the exact same way. It's disconcerting. But.... if these two drafts are any indication, it may have actually been a good hire.  

Hard to say for sure of course, but I'm adopting an "If it ain't broke...." philosophy concerning the scouting dept for now. 

Bingo. As long as things keep working out, then it's not even an issue and those rumblings were just last night's tacos.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Bingo. As long as things keep working out, then it's not even an issue and those rumblings were just last night's tacos.
Mmmmmmm.  Tacos.

Quote:I was taking your post somewhat seriously until you called Paul average.

Probably drinks the Alfie Kool-aid.

Quote:Except that one year the Chargers had I think top 5 offense and defense but missed the playoffs because the difference in their wins/losses was special teams. You have to have 3 good units or you don't make it to the post season.

Wrong but close. First the goal is to go deep in the playoffs which a special teams can help in close battles. Secondly a top special teams unit guarantee little especially compared to a top offensive or defensive unit.

They are not equally important. Also, our special teams unit may be above average but I suspect middle of the pack.

Quote:Lol one of the best special teams in the league. May even lead the league in punting yards again, yawn!
yeah he said when Ace returns...as if he was lighting the world on fire with his punt returns last year

That's Jaguars football right there