Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Start Bortles Predictions

When do you expect Bortles will start?

Barring injury, Henne will play til the bye week (unfortunately). Henne will continue starting if we are in the playoff hunt (impossible). We'll let Bortles play the rest of the season, and get a taste for the AFCS.

My less likely scenario is Bortles plays week 1 if both Henne continues stinking it up and Bortles continues demonstrating poise.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:When do you expect Bortles will start?

Barring injury, Henne will play til the bye week (unfortunately). Henne will continue starting if we are in the playoff hunt (impossible). We'll let Bortles play the rest of the season, and get a taste for the AFCS.

My less likely scenario is Bortles plays week 1 if both Henne continues stinking it up and Bortles continues demonstrating poise.

I don't see why the team would keep Henne in when Bortles is ready even if the team is headed for the playoffs.

We already know that if the team is doing that well it would be in spite for Henne, so why not go ahead and start Bortles when he's ready?

It is entirely on when Fisch thinks Bortles is ready.

You are the worst fan ever! He played 2 quarters! Have a little faith Gus, Dave, and Shad have been leading this franchise in the right direction, so just let them do their thing. Henne can be a reliable game manager.

My guess is that Bortles starts week 1. He'll play well enough to merit first team snaps in the 2nd quarter of the 3rd game. And he'll play well enough to make the switch going in to the regular season.

My guess will probably change after each preseason game, but right now he looks like he'll be ready sooner rather than later. I say he's starting week 5 at home against the Steelers.

Bortles is head and shoulders ahead of Henne in the talent department.  The only reason Henne will be starting come week 1 is because he knows the playbook.

Once Bortles learns the playbook he will be under center.  1st round draft pick, picked 3rd overall on a team that has won like 10 games in the last 3 years.....

This is slowly becoming Blake Bortles team.  He is poised and beyond his years in maturity.  Well spoken, understands the big picture, has a high football IQ.  He is everything you want in a franchise QB.

He will throw picks and make mistakes but they will be outshined by his playmaking ability, and cannon for an arm.

Whenever Bortles knows the whole playbook and has his mechanics down the way the coaches would like

After bye week. (as it should be)

I am new to jax....I watched the preseason game...bortles has the tools...if he has a good grasp of the playbook....let him play. You know what you get from henne....drafted bortles....let him play. The guy has a nice arm and good size

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014, 12:45 PM by MinistryMan2007.)

Quote:My guess is that Bortles starts week 1. He'll play well enough to merit first team snaps in the 2nd quarter of the 3rd game. And he'll play well enough to make the switch going in to the regular season.
That would completely go against the culture that Dave, Gus, and Shad have developed since day 1. Truthfully, a notion like that sounds like what the previous regime pulled...twice.

Let the kid sit and develop. We don't have Super Bowl level talent on the roster, anyway. Why blow the kid's confidence by playing him behind a young, newly reassembled OL?

Patience, people...

Edit: bye week gets my vote, if we're out of the playoff hunt

Quote:After bye week. (as it should be)
Agreed. When we come back from London and have the bye week is the best time to make any changes. By that time we will know if we are out of contention for the playoffs or can make a push. If Henne is leading that charge then keep him in. If the a decent record is in spite of him switch them out and if we are out of contention all together then play Bortles. We will have a good idea of where the team is talent wise with the rest of the league and that should allow us to start looking forward to next year. 

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014, 01:08 PM by RicoTx.)

Quote:That would completely go against the culture that Dave, Gus, and Shad have developed since day 1. Truthfully, a notion like that sounds like what the previous regime pulled...twice.
Say what? Against 'the culture'? Bradley, from day 1, has been preaching to compete.

And how does making Bortles first string and Henne second, sound anything like previous 'regimes'? Nobody is saying to cut Henne.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I think it's more about when the O line is ready than any particular week. They certainly didn't do Chad any favors Friday night with the high snaps and getting pushed around by the Bucs D line.  That said, he has to start sometime this year if 2015 is the year they're targeting for a big push, right?  Otherwise you're starting from scratch with the offense in training camp a year from now.

No poll?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...is-winning  The Jaguars and Browns insist that their rookie quarterbacks haven't moved up the depth charts. Yet.

NFL.com above

----------

I agree a Poll is needed for this thread.  It is stated that Toby Gerhart will return and play in this Thursday's game against Chicago.  In that game Chad Henne will play the entire 1st half and Bortles the 2nd.  If Henne continues to look bad against the opponets 2nd team while Bortles improves upon last weeks performance it would seem that Bortles will get time with the starters in week 3 and if by week 4 he nails it out of the park while Chad continues to play like Chad a small chance Bortles could start in week 1.

I'm going to go with week 3 against the Colts at home.  I think Henne will have embarassed the franchise enough to take a chance on Bortles earlier than expected.

If by reliable game manager you mean a guy who throws more picks than touchdowns, then sure. Henne is a reliable game manager.

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014, 02:18 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote: 

A poll is not needed and week 3 is too soon. 

The plan is to have Henne get" stomach sickness" from some lobster up in Washington, leaving him inactive for week three. Bortles gets his first start, blows out Indy and  becomes the starting QB.

Quote:Whenever Bortles knows the whole playbook and has his mechanics down the way the coaches would like
This ^

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

My gut since we drafted him has been week 1, and if Bortles continues to improve, I still think that's likely. I'd like for Henne to play well enough to hold him off, but I don't see it happening. Week 3 at the latest.