Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Start Bortles Predictions

Quote:If by reliable game manager you mean a guy who throws more picks than touchdowns, then sure. Henne is a reliable game manager.
Yes! Reliable game manager! Keep looking at TD/INT ratio though. It's not Henne vs. Bortles It's let's make sure Blake is Ready, and why rush? Our team is becoming better, and you need to understand that it is a process. Blake played well, but what if they name him the starter and he struggles in the next three games? Everyone is saying that Blake needs to develop, and Henne nows the score! Henne isn't here to take Blake's job, he is there to keep the seat warm while Blake develops. Henne is a valuable commodity in the fact that he has bought into our idea of building something. Blake isn't going anywhere, and neither should Chad.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We have been told that Bortles' mechanics have essentially been rebuilt from the ground up.  Any changes that have been made need to be repeated enough that they become automated so that there is no risk of Bortles reverting back to old habits when under fire, which would stunt his growth.  It's highly unlikely that Blake could permanently automate those changes in a pre-season.

I too am impatient and want to see him play sooner than later, but not at the expense of his development.

Week 3, second quarter, first drive……cause it’s just as likely as any other guess on here.

Right now, my guess, subject to change at any minute, is that Bortles will start after the bye week. 

Quote:We have been told that Bortles' mechanics have essentially been rebuilt from the ground up.  Any changes that have been made need to be repeated enough that they become automated so that there is no risk of Bortles reverting back to old habits when under fire, which would stunt his growth.  It's highly unlikely that Blake could permanently automate those changes in a pre-season.

I too am impatient and want to see him play sooner than later, but not at the expense of his development.

Bingo. 

Do we want to throw him in there too early and maybe win a meaningless game or 2 that we might not have in a non playoff season or do we want to throw him in there when the coaches feel the mechanics are finally second nature to him so that the finished product is at a level that could be amongst the leagues top 5-10 QB?....

Some of you guys talk about QB's like they're cyborgs. Lawd.

If not week 3, than week 5 after the trip west. 

Quote:Say what? Against 'the culture'? Bradley, from day 1, has been preaching to compete.

And how does making Bortles first string and Henne second, sound anything like previous 'regimes'? Nobody is saying to cut Henne.

Competition is one thing, unless it's not. Bradley (and Caldwell) has been preaching stability, through competition. My reference to the previous regime was never about cutting Henne. The only thing Gene Smith was honest about during his tenure was about getting "base hits", not "home runs." He preached building thru the draft, trading down, acquiring picks, etc. Then, he would reach (sometimes by trading up) for players like Gabbert, Alualu, and Derek Cox. Caldwell has spent his first year and a half rebuilding that trust with the fan base. By telling us that Bortles would sit, he took the pressure off of Bortles to progress to quickly. 

On the other hand, Del Rio was committed to Leftwich, until he wasn't. He was committed top Garrard, until he wasn't. Caldwell has seemed to make rebuilding the fan base's trust as a hallmark of his tenure. To start Bortles now (if he and Henne are relatively close in performance) would seem to undermine what he's worked to build. Sit the kid... Let him progress. Henne is serviceable for the short term. Let Bortles perfect his footwork. If we're 2-6 or 3-5 at the half way point, or if we're 4-7 at the bye, put Bortles in. 

Quote:Bingo. 

Do we want to throw him in there too early and maybe win a meaningless game or 2 that we might not have in a non playoff season or do we want to throw him in there when the coaches feel the mechanics are finally second nature to him so that the finished product is at a level that could be amongst the leagues top 5-10 QB?....

/\/\ This.

Shad (who has ALOT more skin in the game than anyone else) ...trusts Dave and Gus.....why should I (or we) be any different.

Throwing gabbert out there (who seemed to have the tools) too early completely ruined him even to this  to this day.

if he's walking down the street and a horn honks...he hits the deck.

I'm happy with whatever the Jaguars decide.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:/\/\ This.

Shad (who has ALOT more skin in the game than anyone else) ...trusts Dave and Gus.....why should I (or we) be any different.

Throwing gabbert out there (who seemed to have the tools) too early completely ruined him even to this  to this day.

if he's walking down the street and a horn honks...he hits the deck.

I'm happy with whatever the Jaguars decide.

Why do people insist on making references to Gabbert?

If you can't see this guy is nothing like Gabbert, I really don't know what you are watching.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I don't disagree with anything you said, but what you described wasn't a game manager but a quality locker room guy. Alex Smith is a reliable game manager. Chad Henne is a below average QB who is an excellent teammate and leader.

My own selfish reasons want Bortles to start immediately. I already know what Henne is capable of. But I'll trust in Gus and be patient enough to wait until after the bye when I think he'll be named starter.

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014, 07:27 PM by David4499.)

If it were up to you guys Bortles would already be in the Hall of Fame.... I want to see how he handles hitting the ground 100 times in 4 months.. NFL defenses made a rag doll out of Gabbert.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

I think we will know more Friday morning, but my watching the way he played the other night, i would not be surprised to see him there week 1.  That being said, I think after the bye is most likely.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014, 07:44 PM by rellell.)

61.8% chance he starts after the bye

38.2% chance he starts week 1

Don't know but I'm rooting for Henne to fall on his face every game chance he gets to expedite this process. No better chance to win the division than now. I have no doubt our defense is legit, we just need a qb to be productive. Henne can't even do that.

Quote:Why do people insist on making references to Gabbert?

If you can't see this guy is nothing like Gabbert, I really don't know what you are watching.
no he's not the same guy at all....but that doesn't mean you throw his butt out there before he's ready just to please

people that want to see him.

I saw him play Friday night, he was poised, handled the position and threw the ball on the numbers.

Against the bucs backups....a team that  had as bad a record as the Jags did .

I trust the owner, manager and coaches to know when he's ready.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:Don't know but I'm rooting for Henne to fall on his face every game chance he gets to expedite this process. No better chance to win the division than now. I have no doubt our defense is legit, we just need a qb to be productive. Henne can't even do that.

WInning the division isn't the goal. (or shouldn't be)

Winning the Superbowl IS. And....the better QB that Bortles becomes, gives the Jaguars a better chance to win the superbowl in the future. The better that Bortles gets with the fundamentals, the better QB he will ultimately become. He'll get better with the fundamentals only by repetitions, i,e, over time. 

Hence, don't rush it. 

Playing the long-game is asking too much of the fans apparently.

I'd gladly give up 2-3 wins now for a superbowl later. In terms of letting Bortles sit and have his floor of potential rise higher

I think starting him after the bye-week is reasonable.  I can wait.  There's still a lot of missing pieces around this roster.  Plugging in a rookie QB isn't gonna' get us to the playoffs this year.