Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Start Bortles Predictions

Yup.

The O-line, at this point, is terrible and inexperienced together.

The new WR group is young and unproven (sans Shorts,, who may/may not stay healthy). Sanders is suspended.

The Run Game (a rookie QBs best friend) is really unproven. See O-line above.

Let Bortles keep working on his new mechanics,,, give him more time in the film room/playbook studying,,, let him watch on the sidelines during real game speeds, looking at defenses, watching plays being checked out/into, listening to real time coaching decisions.

Give him a few games (even a good portion of the season) to do this. Plugging in him right away is not gonna do much for this offense, IMO.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Look, I want to see our shiny new QB as much as anyone else, but I also want to have long term success. There's no downside to being patient.

Like seriously guys, we've wanted a legitimate, every-fan-agrees-that-your-QB-rocks, stellar QB since Brunell. That's almost as long as I've been alive. And here we have a guy with the potential to be exactly what we've been looking for. A part of me is craving, just like you, to see him every Sunday from here until forever, but forever is longer than this season. We're so close, guys. Trust in the process. Dave and Gus have done pretty much everything right thus far. I trust them to do this right as well.  

"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

I'm going with week 14. No idea who we play that week, but I figure that's about the point we will be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, and at that point Blake should be comfortable with the playbook and his footwork should be vastly improved. I think he'll be ready, and the coaching staff will want to get him some game experience under his belt heading into next season.
10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

Quote:WInning the division isn't the goal. (or shouldn't be)

Winning the Superbowl IS. And....the better QB that Bortles becomes, gives the Jaguars a better chance to win the superbowl in the future. The better that Bortles gets with the fundamentals, the better QB he will ultimately become. He'll get better with the fundamentals only by repetitions, i,e, over time. 

Hence, don't rush it.
What? Ask any coach in the league what is one of his team goals for the season and he'll tell you to win his division. Don't know why you would even let something come out your mouth like that. Everybody who wants to throw this season in the toilet with Henne and prepare next year for a dynasty run is crazy.

You try to win every year because things can totally go wrong waiting for two seasons down the road just like the Derrick Harvey one player away year. It's a disservice to the fans that pay and the vets on the team who don't have a lot of time left in the league to not put the best players out there every year and try to win it all.

Quote:If not week 3, than week 5 after the trip west. 

I think he starts week 1 now 

Bortles can do more with 15 plays than Henne can do with the entire playbook.

Sit Him For What? 

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2014, 10:11 PM by Dre3001.)

Bortles looks good but I think that the Jags will make the right decision when it comes to him starting. 

Quote from the book "Take Your Eye off the Ball"

Quote:The next time you want to know why your team’s GM isn’t indulging your impulse for a quick-fix deal, remember the time-tested wise adage: if a general manager thinks like a fan, talks like a fan, and acts like a fan, he’s going to be sitting with one in the stands soon enough.

Quote:WInning the division isn't the goal. (or shouldn't be)

Winning the Superbowl IS. And....the better QB that Bortles becomes, gives the Jaguars a better chance to win the superbowl in the future. The better that Bortles gets with the fundamentals, the better QB he will ultimately become. He'll get better with the fundamentals only by repetitions, i,e, over time. 

Hence, don't rush it. 

He gets better through reps in a game not by warming a bench. Tell me if you've ever got better at playing a game simply by watching it being played. 

Quote:He gets better through reps in a game not by warming a bench. Tell me if you've ever got better at playing a game simply by watching it being played.

As much as I want Bortles to start the season, I'm going to have some faith in this regime to make the right call. Doesn't mean they are perfect, but I think we all can admit they have put us on the right track making more good calls than bad.

He looks like he could start week1. However, the o line is suspect.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

He hasn't even thrown a touchdown yet. Cut him.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:He hasn't even thrown a touchdown yet. Cut him.

You do make a good point though, I'm all for trading him now. 

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2014, 11:21 PM by ukjag34.)

week 8 miami at everbank

home field gets the crowd behind him, 8 weeks gives some time for the o line to bed in and also allows you to put a superior product to the marketing exercise in london (we brits love an underdog but a better product will get more bums on seats)

it also gives you the bye week to address any problems he has from his first 3 starts and hopefully give him a nice run in to the season

Because I will be in Jacksonville for the Browns game, I hope bortles is starting by then
No commercial messages in sigs

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2014, 11:42 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:You do make a good point though, I'm all for trading him now.

Better to do it now than to loose him to free agency four years from now. Do you think we could get a 2nd for him?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Look, I want to see our shiny new QB as much as anyone else, but I also want to have long term success. There's no downside to being patient.

Like seriously guys, we've wanted a legitimate, every-fan-agrees-that-your-QB-rocks, stellar QB since Brunell. That's almost as long as I've been alive. And here we have a guy with the potential to be exactly what we've been looking for. A part of me is craving, just like you, to see him every Sunday from here until forever, but forever is longer than this season. We're so close, guys. Trust in the process. Dave and Gus have done pretty much everything right thus far. I trust them to do this right as well.  

No downside?  How about losing football games?

I think our pass protection has been miles better than what it was last year. I'm used to every QB being on his back every snap. Our run blocking is still pretty bad but at least we have something positive on the O-line. I don't like when we hand the ball off in singleback and no fullback. I noticed when we ran out of the Power I Gerhart had a hole and every other run was just decimated.

No pain, no gain.

If Henne continues to play as effcient as he did last night Gus will stick with the plan.  When Henne stinks it up 2 games in a row...that will be it.  Could be September.  Could be December.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 08:14 AM by RicoTx.)

Quote:He gets better through reps in a game not by warming a bench. Tell me if you've ever got better at playing a game simply by watching it being played.
The other thing I'm curious about...how do they win the Super Bowl if they don't make the playoffs first?  I mean I don't get his logic anyway.  Making a playoff run, even if you get knocked out in the first round, isn't a valuable learning experience?

I thought Gruden had a great point last night, when is Bortles supposed to get all of this time to 'work on his mechanics' once the season starts and they have to start game planning?

With the new CBA in place it seriously limits practice time.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:You try to win every year because things can totally go wrong waiting for two seasons down the road just like the Derrick Harvey one player away year. It's a disservice to the fans that pay
and the vets on the team who don't have a lot of time left in the league to not put the best players out there every year and try to win it all.

I've been a season ticket holder for 10 years and I'm fine with them sitting Bortles if they feel it's the right decision.  No money wasted in my eyes.

Huh