Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Alualu taking the next step?

For awhile everyone has pretty much written him off and his time as a Jag seemed to be limited. Then you hear how chippy and fired up he is in camp. You see his development in small doses and he appears to be taking steps forward. Is he benefiting from learning behind Clemons and Big Red?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-09-2014, 08:05 PM by The Mad Dog.)

IMO, Alualu is benefiting from increased talent around him as well as a well coached defense. 

I see it less about Alualu taking any "next steps". 

He's a suitable backup, nothing more. He's been given enough time to show something more and hasnt

The difference is Alualu seems to be playing with attitude and fire/desire he hasn't necessarily shown previously on a consistent basis.

This may be his turning the corner.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

This is a joke right?

Coincidentally he is playing with more fire in his contract year and when he got benched. Once it gets to the regular season he will disappear... just like every year.

Quote:This is a joke right?

Coincidentally he is playing with more fire in his contract year and when he got benched. Once it gets to the regular season he will disappear... just like every year.

I don't know.  Gus has created a niche for him and he seems to be shining to it.  Time will tell.

Another DL beast.  The difference is, in previous years Tyson could eat up 2 blockers and still nobody else could get home.  He's got playmates now.

I give Alualu kudos thus far...but its only been one preseason game in a rotational/second string role.  I need more sample size against starting level competition before I would say he has taken a step forward.

Quote:I give Alualu kudos thus far...but its only been one preseason game in a rotational/second string role.  I need more sample size against starting level competition before I would say he has taken a step forward.

That sums it up. He looked good against the Bucs, and against the Jags OL in the scrimmage last week. Two bad OLs, so who knows? Maybe he has truly improved this year. Maybe not.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Alualu has always looked to me like a guy that had a specific role and they coaches all tried to broaden his responsibility.

He had too much hype to live up to.

Now in the narrower role and just trying to make the team, I think we will see the best of what he has to offer.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

I'm not sure if it's because he has new friends in town or what but I do like it and hope he plays at a higher level all season and then some.

Hes now in the role that fits him best. Depth 3tech and run stuffer. Hes gonna be fresh which will make him more productive in limited snaps. Hes not starter material but is about as good as youre going to get for his current role.

I think he's playing the same as always.  He's always played like a 2nd or 3rd round pick.  He wasn't worth where he was drafted.  But that's not his fault, and I don't understand why people hate him so much.  He's a very good player to have in an 8-man rotation, not a starter, but a very good rotational player. 

I'm not sure he'll make the team, though.   There are a lot of players competing for those D-line positions, and the coaches might identify someone they think will develop into a better player.  

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2014, 08:21 AM by Joe.)

Remember how unnoticed the 5 tech is supposed to be? All the " hold the point " talk?

Amazing how fast that changed once Red Bryant took over.