Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Telvin Smith

He was aggressive and made some standout plays.  But, I also saw him miss a couple tackles later in the game when he was not in control, not unexpected for a rookie.  Overall, though, I thought he showed fantastic potential.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He was aggressive and made some standout plays.  But, I also saw him miss a couple tackles later in the game when he was not in control, not unexpected for a rookie.  Overall, though, I thought he showed fantastic potential.

This is how I also see it. 

You are always going to get "inconsistent" from rookies....what you want to see are those "wow" plays mixed in, and Telvin showed a few of those. 

Quote:This is how I also see it. 

You are always going to get "inconsistent" from rookies....what you want to see are those "wow" plays mixed in, and Telvin showed a few of those. 

More "wow" plays than I expected from him, that's for sure.  It was a nice unexpected surprise and I hope he can build from it.

Quote:More "wow" plays than I expected from him, that's for sure.  It was a nice unexpected surprise and I hope he can build from it.

My only real concern about him is his size and how he'll hold up over the rigors of an NFL season. If he passes that test, we might have a star with this player. 

If he can put on 10-15 pounds (and maintain his speed) he could develop into a pro bowl level player.
Huh

Quote:If he can put on 10-15 pounds (and maintain his speed) he could develop into a pro bowl level player.

He needs to grow into that gradually rather than any sudden weight gain of 10-15 which could be detrimental to his quickness/ attributes. 

He's already gained some weight. My best guess he's 223-225 lbs right now.

Just looking at him and comparing him to how he was last year at FSU when he was 218.

Gus already said he's gained some weight so that's a plus.

I say 5 lbs is good this year, and 5-7 more next offseason while keeping your speed, and you've got yourself a 6'3" 230lbs beast at weakside linebacker.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:He's already gained some weight. My best guess he's 223-225 lbs right now.

Just looking at him and comparing him to how he was last year at FSU when he was 218.

Gus already said he's gained some weight so that's a plus.

I say 5 lbs is good this year, and 5-7 more next offseason while keeping your speed, and you've got yourself a 6'3" 230lbs beast at weakside linebacker.
he was 219 at the start of training camp according to Gus, so i dont see him at 225 right now considering these guys lose weight if anything

Quote: 

Yeah, thats the way to do it. Gradual and steady. 

Quote:he was 219 at the start of training camp according to Gus, so i dont see him at 225 right now considering these guys lose weight if anything

Gus said he's gained weight since being here.

I'm gonna believe Gus on this one.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Gus said he's gained weight since being here.

I'm gonna believe Gus on this one.
ok, and Gus said he was 219 at the start of camp. what's the issue?

"Yeah, he did. I said, 'What are you, 218?' He said 219. I think he's very conscious of it. Leave him alone on that alright. I think he's going to come up with a complex on that."

When I talked to Smith, he said one challenge during camp will be not losing weight.

<p style="font-size:13px;font-family:helvetica, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);">"I'm up right now, pushing 220," Smith said. "I'm trying to get into the 220s. I've got to get through camp and hold it on."

<p style="font-size:13px;font-family:helvetica, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);"> 

<p style="font-size:13px;font-family:helvetica, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);"> 

<p style="font-size:13px;font-family:helvetica, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);">http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/400...line-about

Quote:What an outing in the rookie's first action live. He was absolutely all over the place both on special teams and on defense and had a key impact on the pick 6. His pressure forced the interception and then showed excellent hustle and made the crucial block downfield for Guy's return.

How long before Smith forces his way into the starting lineup?

Telvin is already within the starting package... The LB Nickle Package... He was impressive even w/the WHIFFFFFFF of a mis tackle, BUT, other than that, he played Like A Boss...

Great job young man...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:Telvin is already within the starting package... The LB Nickle Package... He was impressive even w/the WHIFFFFFFF of a mis tackle, BUT, other than that, he played Like A Boss...

Great job young man...

NH3...
poz had just as bad of a whiff against the QB. Tev gets a pass

You're right then. All I remember a few days ago is Gus saying he's gained weight, but it looks like it wasn't much.

Quote:You're right then. All I remember a few days ago is Gus saying he's gained weight, but it looks like it wasn't much.
no biggie my dude. he may have gained 2 or 3 extra, but for a guy like him, it's going to be tough now trying to put on additional pounds in training camp. these guys lose like 3 pounds during one practice(although it's mostly water weight)

Dude is fast.  Like him alot.

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...ac55f7a797

Really like this interview, the guy is smart, knows the game, and I think will be one of the steals of the draft.  Really love how Dave has worked the draft the last couple of years.

I have a feeling that he's going to be a big time leader for our defense in the future. He has that kind of personality. 

Quote:poz had just as bad of a whiff against the QB. Tev gets a pass
I was shocked when Poz missed that tackle lol, he's always so good at bringing a guy down on first contact.