Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Start Bortles

Bortles was head and shoulders above Henne and looked very confortable  under center. His accuracy was great and he didn't wilt under pressure. I agree with the poster that said to start him third preseason and then make a decision. From tonights play he looks ready to me.

"If this team gets lessons from losing they should all be Einsteins by now."---Jaguarmvp

"Football is not played on paper, its played inside Televisions"---Random Poster BCC

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Blake looked like a guy that did his homework. The ball was coming out on time and the receivers were there in stride. Sometimes it was even caught! When Henne was out there our wide receivers should just be called wide distractions because they are just that.

No pain, no gain.

Hard work from OTAs to camp paying off. Maybe not Games 1-3, but at least sooner than we thought

I don't see how they're going to hold off starting Bortles if this keeps up. 

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Bortles played well last night, but it was only one preseason game. If it keeps up then he'll be starting soon, but lets not get carried away yet folks.

Quote:Bortles played well last night, but it was only one preseason game. If it keeps up then he'll be starting soon, but lets not get carried away yet folks.

pssssh how long has it been since we had a QB? Carry away Jaguar fans! 

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

The first time he throws an ugly pick, some fans will be calling him a bust.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I don't care if it was against the 2's.  There was only one starting caliber NFL QB in that stadium last night.  His name is Blake Bortles.  Start the kid and don't look back.  Henne looked like hot garbage when he was able to throw the ball and that's nothing we haven't all seen before.  

Quote:The first time he throws an ugly pick, some fans will be calling him a bust.
. I can't wait.. I'm expecting him to have a rough game at some

Point. All rookies do but the big thing will be how he responds.

I'm completely against starting him this season regardless of what happens. That some fans are already calling for Bortles to start going into the actual season isn't surprising but it is shortsighted in my opinion. We've been the laughingstock of the NFL for like 7 years now... and if it takes one more year of us starting Henne and allowing for Bortles to continue to develop and get comfortable and not throw him straight into the fire I'm all for us being the laughingstock once again.

We can not continue making the same mistakes. We threw Blaine in and everyone knows where that got us.

Be patient, trust the coaches and Caldwell who made the decision to draft the guy that they know best to let him sit.

The first time I hear the chants are Everbank of bench Henne, bring Bortles, I'm going to be ashamed of the stupidity and short-sightedness of my fellow fans.

Quote:I don't care if it was against the 2's. There was only one starting caliber NFL QB in that stadium last night. His name is Blake Bortles. Start the kid and don't look back. Henne looked like hot garbage when he was able to throw the ball and that's nothing we haven't all seen before.

Keep in mind that a lot of those 2's on the Bucs were starters last year.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:I'm completely against starting him this season regardless of what happens. That some fans are already calling for Bortles to start going into the actual season isn't surprising but it is shortsighted in my opinion. We've been the laughingstock of the NFL for like 7 years now... and if it takes one more year of us starting Henne and allowing for Bortles to continue to develop and get comfortable and not throw him straight into the fire I'm all for us being the laughingstock once again.

We can not continue making the same mistakes. We threw Blaine in and everyone knows where that got us.

Be patient, trust the coaches and Caldwell who made the decision to draft the guy that they know best to let him sit.

The first time I hear the chants are Everbank of bench Henne, bring Bortles, I'm going to be ashamed of the stupidity and short-sightedness of my fellow fans.

Gabbert didn't fail because he was thrown into the fire too soon. It didn't help, but it didn't break him either.

I think it would be a huge mistake to leave Bortles on the bench all year long. I think Bortles has to start at least 3-4 games this year.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

If Henne maintains his old habits, he'll be on fire for the next game. If only we could keep THAT Henne around for a while because when he's on, he's on. It won't last though. I see Bortles taking over about the time Ace Sanders comes back.

Quote:I don't see how they're going to hold off starting Bortles if this keeps up. 

Yeah, I was in the "let him sit on the bench and learn" camp, but after last night....  dang.   We might have us a real quarterback. 

I say let Henne play while the offensive line "gels" and our WRs are all back and playing well. Then, insert Blake.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Gabbert didn't fail because he was thrown into the fire too soon. It didn't help, but it didn't break him either.

I think it would be a huge mistake to leave Bortles on the bench all year long. I think Bortles has to start at least 3-4 games this year.

I believe everyone is being reactionary. I'm a season ticket holder, trust me I want us to win more than anyone, but I do not want to see Bortles thrown into the situation we are currently in especially regarding recievers. Maybe Bortles could go out there and we go 9-7 or something but it is not yet his time to shine. Let him learn, let our WR situation pan out, and let us get another set of draft picks.

I'm afraid of him starting behind that O-Line. It was pretty poor last night, and there isn't much of a running game for him to lean on. Because the running O was pretty bad too.

That's why I said Bortles should start when the offensive line is playing solid and our WRs are back and healthy. So probably not until midway through the season.

But to sit him for the whole year is crazy IMO. It would be so valuable for him to look at his own games against real NFL competition in the offseason and work out his flaws.

Quote:Here's the plan...

-Next week no change at QB. Henne starts and Bortles backs up.

-If it's yet again clear that Bortles is outplaying Henne, then give Bortles a look against first stringers by starting him in the Preseason game teams are always intent on winning, and that's the third Preseason game.

-After this game, make the decision... Henne or Bortles... and stick with the decision at least through September.

You need to fall in line with the other mods. This is heresy.

Bortles is sitting for at least half the season and that's it. End of story. Don't confuse us.

Quote:I'm completely against starting him this season regardless of what happens. That some fans are already calling for Bortles to start going into the actual season isn't surprising but it is shortsighted in my opinion. We've been the laughingstock of the NFL for like 7 years now... and if it takes one more year of us starting Henne and allowing for Bortles to continue to develop and get comfortable and not throw him straight into the fire I'm all for us being the laughingstock once again.

If he can handle the game then he can handle the game, I don't agree with the notion of sitting him no matter what.  Gabby failed because he isn't good, he could have sat 2 years and he would still suck.  The season will likely be a wash, so if Bortles shows he has an understanding of the offense, let him play it out to get experience under his belt.