Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Start Bortles

So I started this thread sorta as a goof. I figured someone was gonna make it eventually and I might as well get out ahead of the curb. 

I don't mind if the kid sits. We are not going to be in contention this year, so let him learn from the bench...right?

....but hold on. Let me play devil's advocate here...

If everyone assumes the Jags are setting up for a playoff run in '15...wouldn't we want Blake to take his lumps now, instead of waiting until the rest of the team is presumably ready. If the roster is right next season, but now we're having to endure the growing pains of a young QB- wouldn't we be setting the team back an extra year?

Why not set things in motion now?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I love what bortles showed us this game. However, Did you all not see the ducks he threw a few times? He still needs time to work that out and I'd wager once he does, He'll be the starter for the Jags for the next decade. This guy is a franchise QB, Lets not @#$% him up by throwing him to the wolves. Give him atleast 9 games on the bench.

Bortles did well when was in there.   Still has a ways to go.   But made some good throws.  Hats off to Blake.

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2014, 04:50 AM by JaguarJosh05.)

Quote:Bortles did well when was in there.   Still has a ways to go.   But made some good throws.  Hats off to Blake.

Henne wouldn't have even attempted half the throws Blake made in his first game. How far does he have to go? If Bortles is consistently moving the team down and making it look natural doing it the fans will riot if he isn't starting.

No pain, no gain.

Quote:So I started this thread sorta as a goof. I figured someone was gonna make it eventually and I might as well get out ahead of the curb. 

I don't mind if the kid sits. We are not going to be in contention this year, so let him learn from the bench...right?

....but hold on. Let me play devil's advocate here...

If everyone assumes the Jags are setting up for a playoff run in '15...wouldn't we want Blake to take his lumps now, instead of waiting until the rest of the team is presumably ready. If the roster is right next season, but now we're having to endure the growing pains of a young QB- wouldn't we be setting the team back an extra year?

Why not set things in motion now?

Midseason.   I think let the rest of the offense get going, offensive linemen in sync, receivers running correct routes, etc, and put him in after the rest of the offense is ready.  I don't want him "learning" with defensive linemen having a clean shot at him and receivers running wrong routes.   Unless you want him to learn to play like Blaine Gabbert. 

Quote:I love what bortles showed us this game. However, Did you all not see the ducks he threw a few times? He still needs time to work that out and I'd wager once he does, He'll be the starter for the Jags for the next decade. This guy is a franchise QB, Lets not @#$% him up by throwing him to the wolves. Give him atleast 9 games on the bench.

Can you describe some of these ducks? Were you drinking when you saw these alleged ducks?

Bortles passed were zippy and on point all night. He failed to connect on four passes and of those four passes, three of them were dropped, soooo..?

Week 1 I want the QB leading this offense that gives us the best chance of winning. The next few weeks we should be able to better identify who that is. If next week is a repeat of this week, Bortles absolutely deserves time with the ones. We open with a tough stretch of games. The Henne we saw Friday would lose the first four games.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Midseason. I think let the rest of the offense get going, offensive linemen in sync, receivers running correct routes, etc, and put him in after the rest of the offense is ready. I don't want him "learning" with defensive linemen having a clean shot at him and receivers running wrong routes. Unless you want him to learn to play like Blaine Gabbert.

Oh that's right. Gabbert sucks because he played too early. It couldn't be that he sucks because he just can't play. In fact that must be why most QBs flame out, right? Because they are played before they are ready.

That's a cop out that I don't buy.

Quote:Oh that's right. Gabbert sucks because he played too early. It couldn't be that he sucks because he just can't play. In fact that must be why most QBs flame out, right? Because they are played before they are ready.

That's a cop out that I don't buy.

You are misinterpreting my post. I don't think Gabbert sucks because he played too early.   But I do think that if you put Bortles in there with bad blocking, no run game, and WRs running wrong routes, he might wind up playing like Gabbert. 

Bortles played well against the #2's. I will give him that. I would like to see him with the #1's next week.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:Bortles played well against the #2's. I will give him that. I would like to see him with the #1's next week.

Sure. He also played with #2s and 3s himself. He did as well as anyone could have hoped. Now let's see him repeat and do it consistently.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2014, 09:03 AM by Chuckd.)

Quote:Keep in mind that a lot of those 2's on the Bucs were starters last year.
In college?

I'm not convinced from one game against scrubs and one blitz against him, that he's ready. Did he look good? Yes. Did Gabbert look good in his 80 yard drive for a TD against the SB winning Giants in pre-season? Yes.

I'll let the coaches make the call although I know there is a lot of HOF coaching experience on this board.

That said, there's no way he sits all year.
<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

[Image: Bum4YJRIEAA5Cf-.png]

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2014, 10:57 AM by badger.)

Quote:Midseason. I think let the rest of the offense get going, offensive linemen in sync, receivers running correct routes, etc, and put him in after the rest of the offense is ready. I don't want him "learning" with defensive linemen having a clean shot at him and receivers running wrong routes. Unless you want him to learn to play like Blaine Gabbert.
You are making an assumption that the team will be better around week 8 than early in the season. Who knows what kind of injuries we could have then? especially the receivers and O line.

Although, I could see why we would want to limit his exposure to poor pass protection. Not because it would ruin him. I agree with High Score that it's a myth. Gabbert played behind the best line in the game this past weekend and still sucked.... Because he sucks. Always has.

Bortles got hit several times the other night. Is he ruined now?

Quote:You are misinterpreting my post. I don't think Gabbert sucks because he played too early.   But I do think that if you put Bortles in there with bad blocking, no run game, and WRs running wrong routes, he might wind up playing like Gabbert.
that's what I took from your post too. Let the team settle a bit and then put him in.

Few thoughts.

Gabbert had a good preseason game last year...it was the one where he hurt his thumb on his last series.  Part of his problem is that he showed just enough to the coaches to stay in there as Mr Hyde while everyone waited for Dr Jekyll to come back.

I am concerned about starting BB until the OL can keep someone out and not snap the ball over his head.  He does have good mobility, and seems to throw well on the roll out, so maybe if the OL can step up just enough....and BB can help the OL out just enough..it might work.  I just don't want him to get killed due to an OL that no one can play behind.

The best QB is going to play at the right time.  Gus always talks competition, and that's what is going to win out.  I think he starts by mid season due to the OL stepping up and the receivers running consistent routes but the QB play is holding us back at that time.  Just a guess.

<FONT size=4>Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?</FONT>

Bortles looked good, but like coach said...there was no pass rush.  Let's see how he does with some pressure.

I really thought I would see a new and Improved Henne with a year under his belt , What we witnessed was Henne is who he is and should be cut .Go with Stanzi and Bortles just remove Henne he is garbage

I think thing I saw during that game that impressed me the most was the way he took the sack near the goal line.  It showed that he understood that he lost and tucked the football in an made it as least damaging as possible.  He didn't try to force a play and wasn't scared.  Gabbert would have fumbled the football in the endzone and got injured and been out for 3-4 weeks.  That play showed me his level of maturity and understanding of the game.  Not saying his passes didn't look amazing.  I also liked his sideline and post game interviews, very humble. Looking at all the other rookie quarterbacks play in their preseason games also reassured me that Caldwell may have made the right choice for a franchise QB, time will ultimately tell.  Not saying that those guys wont be good, but they seem to need a lot more work.  I am very excited for Thursdays game.

Quote:I think thing I saw during that game that impressed me the most was the way he took the sack near the goal line.  It showed that he understood that he lost and tucked the football in an made it as least damaging as possible.  He didn't try to force a play and wasn't scared.  Gabbert would have fumbled the football in the endzone and got injured and been out for 3-4 weeks.  That play showed me his level of maturity and understanding of the game.  Not saying his passes didn't look amazing.  I also liked his sideline and post game interviews, very humble. Looking at all the other rookie quarterbacks play in their preseason games also reassured me that Caldwell may have made the right choice for a franchise QB, time will ultimately tell.  Not saying that those guys wont be good, but they seem to need a lot more work.  I am very excited for Thursdays game.

Remember after the draft, Caldwell said, he had wanted Bortles for over a year and kept it a secret?   He didn't tell anyone. 

Well done, Dave Caldwell.