Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Start Bortles

I trust Gus' judgement when it comes to when to start Blake. He sees him in practice/meeting rooms everyday and I trust their decision making. I do think Blake is going to make it a more difficult decision earlier than they planned, though.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2014, 04:32 PM by P. Haze.)

Quote:Bortles looked good, but like coach said...there was no pass rush. Let's see how he does with some pressure.
There was no pass rush?

Quote:There was no pass rush?
There was little to no blitzing.  They were using a 4 man rush on nearly every play.  He was only pressured 3 times i think. 

Quote:There was little to no blitzing.  They were using a 4 man rush on nearly every play.  He was only pressured 3 times i think. 
He completed a nice dart in the face of a defender yesterday. I feel like he'll be fine under pressure. But we'll definitely have to see more of how he is with a man in his face.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:He completed a nice dart in the face of a defender yesterday. I feel like he'll be fine under pressure. But we'll definitely have to see more of how he is with a man in his face.
Agreed on both counts.  Want to see more - but think he'll be fine. 

i agree let's start him.. can't take enough  of this henne trash.. let bortles start week 3 preseason game..

im all in for it..

There's no way Henne beats Bortles...it's unanimous!
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

I swear I can't read another, we must not crush his spirit or worry about him crawling into the fetal position when he sees the water boys running onto the field, Plain Garbage is GONE!, Gabs should go down as the worst pick in NFL history, and blaming situation or putting him I'm too soon had absolutely a big fat 0 to do with his failure, he was not an NFL quarterback period end of story, nothing would have changed that or the eventual outcome, Blake played as exactly he should have played as a first round draft pick, he should become our starter I do believe, however maybe not till we figure the o-line out, I'd like to keep our shiny new toy looking new for a good while
A good loser is a good loser

I think the most important thing  I took from this weekend was what Hurns said. Blake was throwing guys open, anticipating where he wanted the receiver to be before the receiver even started to break. That's something we haven't seen in a while. That was always the big knock on Garrard.

Still early, but the guy seems like he has "it". Unlike check down/short of the sticks Henne, he looks to throw the ball downfield. He seems comfortable making changes to the play at the LOS, and he clearly has the improvisation intangibles (running a different play because he forgot the routes of the one that was called). All of this seems to suggest that the game is never too big for him.  

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014, 02:15 PM by DewtheMathis.)

Jaguars 2014 schedule home games in green

Week 1.) Sep 7th at Philadelphia Eagles  -  1st in rushing in 2013, 9th in Passing, but D 32nd against the pass last year. 

No matter which Chicago QB played all of them found the endzone last week, if Henne cant thrown on them might be a problem.

Week 2.) Sep 14th at Washington Redskins - 20th against the pass last year, 17th against the run they played well against the Patriots of course without Brady and we saw Mallett's performance.

If Henne loses this game after a disapointing performance against the Eagles I think Bortles could start against the Colts at home!

Week 3.) Sep 21st Colts

Week 4.) Sep 28th at SanDiego Chargers

Week 5.) Oct 5th Steelers

Week 6.) Oct 12th at Tenn. Titans

Week 7.) Oct 19th Browns

Week 8.) Oct 26 Miami

Week 9.) Nov 2 at Bengals

Week 10.) Cowboys

Bye Week 11

Week 12.) at Colts

Week 13.) Giants

Week 14.) Texans

Week 15.) at Ravens

Week 16.) Titans

Week 17.) at Texans

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014, 03:00 PM by Etdavis2006.)

To me, I think of it in terms like this; if he sits for a few weeks past week one he may be a better qb when he takes over versus starting from day one. Not to compare him but I think of Aaron Rodgers. I'm not talking about Farve or any of that but just the development of Rodgers. Rodgers sat for three years then when started as the number one qb, he was playing like a top 7 qb. They only went 5-11 his first year but his individual numbers were top 7 level and he's pushed for top 3 ever since. Not to say he could not have reached that same level if he played from day one but my point is when he became the starter that's the level he began at.  

Maybe the thinking should be lets let him develop and then he starts his career as a top 9-12 qb if we wait sometime rather than start him now as a top 26 qb. In contrast I think of a Tannehill. He has had strong games but really hasn't elevated his game. Maybe if they would have refined him for an additional 8 weeks he may have started as a better qb. 

I'd rather wait and have a guy come in as a top 15 then grow into a top 5 rather than start him as a top 24 and hope he develops into a top 5. 

I think this is the better way for Blake individual development. Refine his technique and then his talent will flourish even more rather than having him depend on pure talent from the onset. 

This is a true luxury that most teams who draft number 3 overall just don't get. We really have a chance to develop a guy exactly how they want him to. They get to drill all the knowledge and technique into him from day one. I say appreciate this and be happy we don't have to play him before they feel he is ready to. 

Bortles good.

Quote:Bortles good.
Bortles real good.