Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is this a make or break year for Lewis?

He has been a far cry from the player he was in 2010 when he caught 10 touchdown passes.

We all know he can block. We also know he has droppes wide open passes and has been known to drop passes his entire career as a Jaguar.

We cant cut him this year because there is nobody else that can block like him. But I with our rookie WRs and new RBs he needs to step up and want the ball in the redzone.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This should be good...
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:He has been a far cry from the player he was in 2010 when he caught 10 touchdown passes.

We all know he can block. We also know he has droppes wide open passes and has been known to drop passes his entire career as a Jaguar.

We cant cut him this year because there is nobody else that can block like him. But I with our rookie WRs and new RBs he needs to step up and want the ball in the redzone.

Assuming he performs at his usual level, it probably comes down to what holes the team thinks it has come next off-season and what priority they put on upgrading.

If the defense and OL don't improve, Lewis isn't the biggest problem on the team. If they do, he is in trouble.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

In a different thread they had mentioned SI's top 10 players in positions, notice the below link doesnt show M. Lewis not even mentioned as noteables

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/29/top-tig...gronkowski

That isnt a shocker to us Jag fans but when you are paid the 2nd highest in the NFL at that position (i think or maybe 3rd), then sooner or later a GM has to think about cutting ties with the guy.

I think the front office and coaching staff hold a higher opinion of Lewis than most people that post on this board.

Is he overpaid? Probably. But with a team not in cap trouble, why should that matter to a fan?

Make or break? I don't know, but he's already 30 years old. With his contract coming up soon, I doubt that he's in this team's future plans other than as a leader and bridge to whoever will be our future TE.

He'll be a jag this year. He'll be in the league next year. After that, it'll be a year by year basis until he retires.

Quote:Make or break? I don't know, but he's already 30 years old. With his contract coming up soon, I doubt that he's in this team's future plans other than as a leader and bridge to whoever will be our future TE.
I had wrote in another thread yesterday about being at some camp practices and walking away impressed with M. Lewis.  Being a new fan to the team I really do not know much about him other than what I have recently seen of him.  I was told he drops some balls.  As an outsider looking in....I would say with better pass protection and a solid QB his numbers should get better.  M. Bennett had a lot of drops in Dallas before going to the Giants and Bears.  Dallas' line was bad those years and he was used as a blocker, not to mention he was backing up Witten.  But I think with more opportunities in the passing game, he became a more reliable option.  I see Witten drop balls as well, but he is targeted much more than Lewis. Not kicking the Jags, but if there were offensive weapons, his drops wouldn't seem as bad?  Dallas, as bad as the defense has been...has a very explosive offense...and that kind of masks the drops by Dez and Witten...even T.O. had that problem.  Lewis seems to have all the tools.  But you guys have watched him a hell of a lot longer than I have.  

He's definitely overpaid.

His drops are blown out of proportion.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:He's definitely overpaid.

His drops are blown out of proportion
I see that contract came after his pro bowl season; 5 yr. 34 million.  His salary this season is 6.7 million?  Is it high?  He will be the 9th highest paid TE this year.  Behind Jimmy Grahman, Gronk, Witten, David, Rudolph, Gates, Cook and Finley.  Are his lack of stats a product of the system he has been in?

Quote:He's definitely overpaid.

His drops are blown out of proportion.
I think he would make any NFL team's depth chart but a majority of them would not have him as the featured starting TE.  He claims nobody can cover him, maybe he'll have a great year... we've been waiting....

He'll play this year.  I could also see him be traded for a low round pick later this year, especially if we don't feel like we're going to re-sign him (or if he doesn't want a restructured deal).

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:I see that contract came after his pro bowl season; 5 yr. 34 million. His salary this season is 6.7 million? Is it high? He will be the 9th highest paid TE this year. Behind Jimmy Grahman, Gronk, Witten, David, Rudolph, Gates, Cook and Finley. Are his lack of stats a product of the system he has been in?
I think it's high for him. He just dosent produce like he should. nice job with the research though.. I wish more poster did research before posting.

This'll be unpopular but very true:

This is Lewis' last year as a Jag and rightfully so. He never earned that terrible contract. He may be a great blocker but a blocking TE doesn't deserve that money and they are an endangered species in this pass happy league.

I'm sure Caldwell knows that next year, TE will be a need and I expect it to be addressed in Free agency. The draft might produce something we can work with too.

Quote:This'll be unpopular but very true:

This is Lewis' last year as a Jag and rightfully so. He never earned that terrible contract. He may be a great blocker but a blocking TE doesn't deserve that money and they are an endangered species in this pass happy league.

I'm sure Caldwell knows that next year, TE will be a need and I expect it to be addressed in Free agency. The draft might produce something we can work with too.
I pretty much agree with this, although not sure what the cap hit would be if he were released in the offseason.

Even if he does have a decent season, I doubt it would be enough to keep him around.

Quote:I think it's high for him. He just dosent produce like he should. nice job with the research though.. I wish more poster did research before postin

Gotcha and thanks.  Hopefully he can put up good numbers this year and come back at a reduced salary.  I know those 10TDs were a few years ago...his QB that year was Garrard and still had 10, wow.  And who followed him?  That guy Gabbert?  I would have to think if this guy had a decent QB throwing to him he would put up much better #'s.  

Quote:I pretty much agree with this, although not sure what the cap hit would be if he were released in the offseason.

Even if he does have a decent season, I doubt it would be enough to keep him around.

Its my understanding this is his last year under contract with the Jags

Quote:Gotcha and thanks.  Hopefully he can put up good numbers this year and come back at a reduced salary.  I know those 10TDs were a few years ago...his QB that year was Garrard and still had 10, wow.  And who followed him?  That guy Gabbert?  I would have to think if this guy had a decent QB throwing to him he would put up much better #'s.  

Gabbert didn't drop those balls for him. Also he admitted lack of focus/dedication under Mularkey. Sure, He was a crap coach but never should you quit on your team like that.

Quote:Its my understanding this is his last year under contract with the Jags
Unless I'm reading it wrong, he has 1 more year after this, FA in 2016

Yes one more year. If he has a great blocking year he will be back. I expect a 45 catch 525 yards and 6 TD year as far as offensive stats. We are a running team if our OL can improve if not well back to 4-12 record.