Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is this a make or break year for Lewis?

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2014, 11:47 AM by CowJag.)

Quote:Gabbert didn't drop those balls for him. Also he admitted lack of focus/dedication under Mularkey. Sure, He was a crap coach but never should you quit on your team like that.
True, agree with you 100% on the quitting part.  His drops were that bad huh?  Hopefully he has a bounce back year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Make or break seasons don't usually come in year 9 of a career. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I think the front office and coaching staff hold a higher opinion of Lewis than most people that post on this board.

Is he overpaid? Probably. But with a team not in cap trouble, why should that matter to a fan?
This.. I think Hes here till his contract is over. After that who knows.

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2014, 11:29 AM by BasshunterX.)

Quote:Unless I'm reading it wrong, he has 1 more year after this, FA in 2016

Well then, I suppose it really all comes down to how much dead money we'll get on the cap if we cut em' after this year. I really am not a fan of this guy but it would be dumb to cut him and still have his presence on the cap.

Really goes to show you how absolutely moronic Gene Smith was with this deal.

Quote:Well then, I suppose it really all comes down to how much dead money we'll get on the cap if we cut em' after this year. I really am not a fan of this guy but it would be dumb to cut him and still have his presence on the cap.

At least they aren't in cap hell because of it.  I have seen enough off that the past 18 or so years, gets old.  

Quote:Well then, I suppose it really all comes down to how much dead money we'll get on the cap if we cut em' after this year. I really am not a fan of this guy but it would be dumb to cut him and still have his presence on the cap.

Forget the money, we are so under the cap it wont be relevant for at least 3-4 years.

It would be more dumb to cut him while he is the best TE on the roster.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:Forget the money, we are so under the cap it wont be relevant for at least 3-4 years.

It would be more dumb to cut him while he is the best TE on the roster.

That was the point I made earlier. How much he is getting doesn't really matter.

I expect the Jaguars to target a "move" tight end in FA or the draft next year, they need an athletic quick twitch mismatch at that position, there's currently not one on the roster. Devin Funchess of Michigan is guy I'd love to see in teal.

Quote:I had wrote in another thread yesterday about being at some camp practices and walking away impressed with M. Lewis.  Being a new fan to the team I really do not know much about him other than what I have recently seen of him.  I was told he drops some balls.  As an outsider looking in....I would say with better pass protection and a solid QB his numbers should get better.  M. Bennett had a lot of drops in Dallas before going to the Giants and Bears.  Dallas' line was bad those years and he was used as a blocker, not to mention he was backing up Witten.  But I think with more opportunities in the passing game, he became a more reliable option.  I see Witten drop balls as well, but he is targeted much more than Lewis. Not kicking the Jags, but if there were offensive weapons, his drops wouldn't seem as bad?  Dallas, as bad as the defense has been...has a very explosive offense...and that kind of masks the drops by Dez and Witten...even T.O. had that problem.  Lewis seems to have all the tools.  But you guys have watched him a hell of a lot longer than I have.  

The differences between M. Bennett & M Lewis are profound, Martellus is a much more fluid, controlled/coordinated athlete, he gets in and out of his breaks better than Marcedes, Bennett is simply a better player. A better comparison for M. Lewis would be Scott Chandler/Brandon Myers; Lewis is the better blocker, but his inline-plodding similar to both of those guys.

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2014, 12:43 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:In a different thread they had mentioned SI's top 10 players in positions, notice the below link doesnt show M. Lewis not even mentioned as noteables

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/29/top-tig...gronkowski

That isnt a shocker to us Jag fans but when you are paid the 2nd highest in the NFL at that position (i think or maybe 3rd), then sooner or later a GM has to think about cutting ties with the guy.

butt hees a gud blokcor!!! (drool)

He'll be gone by next year, and good riddance. Gave us one good year out of 8. 

Quote:butt hees a gud blokcor!!! (drool)

If you keep posting this, eventually somebody might laugh.

Quote:The differences between M. Bennett & M Lewis are profound, Martellus is a much more fluid, controlled/coordinated athlete, he gets in and out of his breaks better than Marcedes, Bennett is simply a better player. A better comparison for M. Lewis would be Scott Chandler/Brandon Myers; Lewis is the better blocker, but his inline-plodding similar to both of those guys.

I never thought I would ever hear M Bennett and fluid mentioned in the same sentence lol, but I get where you are coming from. That was a knock on Bennett coming out of college.  He is not very fluid at all.  However, I wasn't comparing their skill set, just talking about drops.  I also mentioned Witten had an issue with drops and neither one ever be confused with him.  

Quote:In a different thread they had mentioned SI's top 10 players in positions, notice the below link doesnt show M. Lewis not even mentioned as noteables

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/29/top-tig...gronkowski

That isnt a shocker to us Jag fans but when you are paid the 2nd highest in the NFL at that position (i think or maybe 3rd), then sooner or later a GM has to think about cutting ties with the guy.
He is the 9th highest paid at his position...this year.

Quote:butt hees a gud blokcor!!! (drool)
Eerily similar to how I see most of your posts...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:That was the point I made earlier. How much he is getting doesn't really matter.

And you are right to do so, lots of people make the point, however it needs to be reiterated because many people ignore it.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:I never thought I would ever hear M Bennett and fluid mentioned in the same sentence lol, but I get where you are coming from. That was a knock on Bennett coming out of college.  He is not very fluid at all.  However, I wasn't comparing their skill set, just talking about drops.  I also mentioned Witten had an issue with drops and neither one ever be confused with him.  

M. Bennett is certainly not Vernon Davis-fluid, but he's more fluid than Lewis haha. I understand where you're coming form in terms of drops, that's usually a lack of concentration, Marcedes has been drop-prone throughout his Jaguar career, his hands simply aren't very good. At the end of the day he's a middling TE (imo) being paid like a top 10 guy, again, I expect the Jags to target move TE next year.

Quote:If you keep posting this, eventually somebody might laugh.
Probably not.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2014, 01:41 PM by CowJag.)

Quote:The differences between M. Bennett & M Lewis are profound, Martellus is a much more fluid, controlled/coordinated athlete, he gets in and out of his breaks better than Marcedes, Bennett is simply a better player. A better comparison for M. Lewis would be Scott Chandler/Brandon Myers; Lewis is the better blocker, but his inline-plodding similar to both of those guys.
And if you want to compare the 2 with drops over their careers: EDITED:  Lewis was targeted more despite playing 2 more years.  More times targeted = more possible drops?  Better QB's as well?  

M. Bennett:  Targets- 318  Receptions-205    QB's Romo, Manning and Cutler

M. Lewis:      Targets- 506  Receptions-297    QB's  Garrard, Gabbert, and 6 games of Leftwich his rookie season.

I understand it is Lewis' hands, but the difference in QB's, let alone offenses is night and day.  Interesting to analyze though.

All of you know the guy a lot better, I am just going with #'s here.  There are def. more intangibles.  

Quote:And if you want to compare the 2 with drops over their careers:

M. Bennett: Targets- 318 Receptions-205 QB's Romo, Manning and Cutler

M. Lewis: Targets- 506 Receptions-297 QB's Garrard, Gabbert, and 6 games of Leftwich his rookie season.

I understand it is Lewis' hands, but the difference in QB's, let alone offenses is night and day. Interesting to analyze though.

All of you know the guy a lot better, I am just going with #'s here. There are def. more intangibles.
That's not a correlation of drops.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]