Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sherrod Martin

All along I thought the starting FS position was a tight fight between Guy Winston and Josh Evans, but the first depth chart is listing Sherrod Martin ahead of Evans as Guy's backup. Who is Martin, and is he really ahead of the ball hawking Josh Evans?

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Since when is Josh Evans "ballhawking"?

Doesn't Evans have a foot injury?  Not sure how bad it is

Josh Evans was the farthest thing possible from a ballhawk in his rookie season.  He was a complete liability in coverage minus two or three plays at the end of the year.  He looked completely lost until week 12 or so. And even then he didn't make any real impact.  He managed a few ridiculous penalties, a few good hits, a bunch of blown coverages and some rather idiotic celebrations after routine tackles. That was my impression. 

I anticipated him making at least a small step forward this season, but he's apparently got too much ground to cover to compete with Guy. 

(his foot injury is likely keeping him down the depth chart as well)

Martin was a high pick in Carolina and started for a time. Could be a decent backup.

;

;

In a thread a few months ago I said that I expected Martin to be the starting FS if he is healthy. He had a pretty nasty knee injury, but if he can get back to his level of play from Carolina, he is probably the best option unless Winston Guy has improved significantly. That being said, I don't think the long term solution at FS is on the roster yet.

Guys I think JAGS02 was using the term "ball hawking" sarcastically.

Quote:All along I thought the starting FS position was a tight fight between Guy Winston and Josh Evans, but the first depth chart is listing Sherrod Martin ahead of Evans as Guy's backup. Who is Martin, and is he really ahead of the
ball hawking Josh Evans?
[Image: 50-cent-laugh.gif]

Josh Evans has been on the sideline for the whole offseason program, why wouldn't he be last on the depth chart at this point?

I thought Winston Guy was pretty decent last year. He has been working on his mistakes and looks ready to compete this year. I really liked the spark he brings on defense with his hits as well.  :yes:

Guy should be starting all season unless an injury happens.

I like Guy. He and Cyp may be the scariest looking safety duo of all time.

Quote:I like Guy. He and Cyp may be the scariest looking safety duo of all time.

Guy could surprise a few doubters this year.  Getting a full camp in with the ones could make a difference. He came in off of the waiver wire last September after all.  (and he's only 24 y.o.)

I'll be watching for him over the next 3 weeks to step up. Seems like it's his job to lose - and I doubt that happens. 

Martin missed part of practice with a hammy today.  

Fairly interesting interview with (likely starter) W. Guy at the homepage for those who missed it:

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...4ed45c764c