Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dalton's new contract: 6 years 115 million

On nfl home page now.

This is beyond crazy. People thought Flacco's contract was an outrage, this tops it by a mile

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:On nfl home page now.

This is beyond crazy. People thought Flacco's contract was an outrage, this tops it by a mile

Oh man, the Bengals are going to regret this day for years to come.

yikes

Wow...lol....

and thats why the Bengals are perennially in the state of mediocrity or worse. 

This is par for the course. As years go on, contracts get inflated more and more. The passing game is more and more important.

The QB position is imperative to success. You can't just go pluck a good QB off a tree. Andy Dalton may not be elite but he has been reliable and very good at least during the regular season.

I'd like to see what kind of contract one of the elite guys would get right now.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:This is par for the course. As years go on, contracts get inflated more and more. The passing game is more and more important.

The QB position is imperative to success. You can't just go pluck a good QB off a tree. Andy Dalton may not be elite but he has been reliable and very good at least during the regular season.

I'd like to see what kind of contract one of the elite guys would get right now.

There are two kinds of QBs, elite QBs, and game managers. Never pay a game manager like an elite. Ever.

The Bengals made a big mistake today, and it's not uncommon. It's the mistake of thinking they have to hold on to a guy who isn't elite in spite of the cost.

The cowboys made the mistake with Romo, the texans made the mistake with Schaub, the Jaguars made the mistake with Garrard.

At least in Schaub's case they didn't pay true elite money, but really teams show they don't even understand the makeup of their own team's success when they make moves like this.

As much as I agree with everyone here, I think trends in the NFL are saying that YOU DO indeed pay a game manager 100+ million. It seems every team is willing to pay a decent QB elite money.

Is it so hard to keep drafting QB's and signing vets as stop gaps until you strike gold? If I was the GM in Cincinnati, I wouldn't have payed dalton anywhere near that and even drafted a QB this year.

Quote:There are two kinds of QBs, elite QBs, and game managers. Never pay a game manager like an elite. Ever.

False.  Just stop.  Don't assert something like it's a fact or like you're some authority on the issue.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote: 

At least in Schaub's case they didn't pay true elite money, but really teams show they don't even understand the makeup of their own team's success when they make moves like this.

Ah, if the billion-dollar Bengals just had enough smarts or money to hire a genius like you. 

All those people employed there and they don't even understand the makeup of their own team's success?  What are they thinking??

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2014, 01:30 PM by Kotite.)

In three years he hasn't missed a game. Improved TDs and yardage each year. 20 TDs as a rookie, then 27 and 33 last year to go with 4200 yards. Uh.. I would cream myself if the Jags got that type of production out of a QB.
Only a chump boos the home team!

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2014, 01:38 PM by knarnn.)

Its obvious some of you don't have an inkling on how to run an NFL franchise.

Dalton was overpaid (from the initial numbers) and I probably would've slapped him with the franchise tag after the season but I wouldn't have just walked away from him entirely hoping for the next best thing in the draft or some NFL FA retread as some of you have suggested.

Without seeing the contract its even possible it could be a team friendly, year to year, structure similar to Kaepernick's which would be even more favorable.

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/structure...alton-deal
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

NFL contracts are not real money. People overreact when they see numbers like 115 MILLION!!!! But most of the contract is not fully guaranteed. It's  basically a series of one-year contracts.

Quote:In three years he hasn't missed a game. Improved TDs and yardage each year. 20 TDs as a rookie, then 27 and 33 last year to go with 4200 yards. Uh.. I would cream myself if the Jags got that type of production out of a QB.

Plus he finally threw A TD in the playoffs!

Only 5 more to go without more picks in the process to bring himself up to even.

Quote:NFL contracts are not real money. People overreact when they see numbers like 115 MILLION!!!! But most of the contract is not fully guaranteed. It's  basically a series of one-year contracts.

True enough.

If it's back-loaded with unguaranteed salary then I could understand it.

Quote:In three years he hasn't missed a game. Improved TDs and yardage each year. 20 TDs as a rookie, then 27 and 33 last year to go with 4200 yards. Uh.. I would cream myself if the Jags got that type of production out of a QB.

His numbers are comparable to Andrew Luck.

I'd like it too, but I don't know that it garners 100+ mil $$

I see the contract as around 20% too high.   I think he's an above average QB, but this sounds like it might be top five QB money.  

If you're gonna overpay for a position, make it a QB. He has shown improvement and is not a knucklehead off the field. Building a team is easier when you have a known commodity running your offense. Not saying they didn't overpay a little, but that its not as outlandish as some may perceive it to be when you consider you are getting a guy who is really showing signs of 'getting it' and he is gonna be locked up in his prime.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:As much as I agree with everyone here, I think trends in the NFL are saying that YOU DO indeed pay a game manager 100+ million.
Yep, if Bortles can match Dalton's production over the next 3-4 years, you better believe that fans won't care what it takes to keep him.

It's just the way it is, started with Flacco, followed up with Kaepernick, they had to pay Dalton IMO.

Quote:  I think he's an above average QB, but this sounds like it might be top five QB money.  
Probably is top 5 but you don't always get what you pay for. Cam Newton is gonna be a very rich man.

Without AJ Greene, Dalton #'s are Garrardesque.