Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dalton's new contract: 6 years 115 million

Quote:Without AJ Greene, Dalton #'s are Garrardesque.

Quoted for truth.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Awful

Quote:There are two kinds of QBs, elite QBs, and game managers. Never pay a game manager like an elite. Ever.

The Bengals made a big mistake today, and it's not uncommon. It's the mistake of thinking they have to hold on to a guy who isn't elite in spite of the cost.

The cowboys made the mistake with Romo, the texans made the mistake with Schaub, the Jaguars made the mistake with Garrard.

At least in Schaub's case they didn't pay true elite money, but really teams show they don't even understand the makeup of their own team's success when they make moves like this.

I totally disagree. There aren't two kinds of QBs. Game manager is just an ESPN term that ignorant fans are overusing.

Romo is not the reason the cowboys lose. 33 touchdowns isn't a "game manager."

There are all kinds of different quarterbacks. Dalton's numbers and behavior warranted the contract. If they didn't pay him, someone else would have and then they'd could wind up in the position of the jaguars the last few years.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Wayyyy too much

Quote:I totally disagree. There aren't two kinds of QBs. Game manager is just an ESPN term that ignorant fans are overusing.

Romo is not the reason the cowboys lose. 33 touchdowns isn't a "game manager."

There are all kinds of different quarterbacks. Dalton's numbers and behavior warranted the contract. If they didn't pay him, someone else would have and then they'd could wind up in the position of the jaguars the last few years.

Nope, there really are two kinds of QBs.

Elite QBs are the kind of QB that makes the team around them better. They're the Brady/Manning/Brees/Wilson/Roethlisberger QBs, and they make their team a lot better.

Then you have the game managers. They are as good as their team, and never better than what surrounds them.

Some guys are really bad game mangers, like Henne, and you'd need a team that could win without him ever doing anything but handing it off for him to be successful, but it's still what he is, just a guy that you hope to manage the game around.

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2014, 02:50 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:Nope, there really are two kinds of QBs.

Elite QBs are the kind of QB that makes the team around them better. They're the Brady/Manning/Brees/Wilson/Roethlisberger QBs, and they make their team a lot better.

Then you have the game managers. They are as good as their team, and never better than what surrounds them.

Some guys are really bad game mangers, like Henne, and you'd need a team that could win without him ever doing anything but handing it off for him to be successful, but it's still what he is, just a guy that you hope to manage the game around.
So Newton is a game manager? What about Eli and Rivers? Cutler, Romo?

I think there should be a 3rd category. Its not just black and white.

Elite - can singlehandedly win the game for you no matter what the odds

Franchise QB - can win most of his matchups, benefits with talent surrounding him

Game manager - is just a guy, is asked not to loose a game for his team and to keep turnovers low.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

LOL. This is getting funny.  Do we really have agree on how many made-up categories for QBs are valid and which one Dalton fits into? 

Clue: (there isn't only one correct answer because none of this stuff is clearly defined in a QB ranking rulebook anywhere)

Quote:Wayyyy too much
Apparently Cincy disagrees. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:LOL. This is getting funny. Do we really have agree on how many made-up categories for QBs are valid and which one Dalton fits into?

Clue: (there isn't only one correct answer because none of this stuff is clearly defined in a QB ranking rulebook anywhere)

I do think its not just black and white. Elite and everyone else. There's some gray in there somewhere.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:I do think its not just black and white. Elite and everyone else. There's some gray in there somewhere.
Agreed. 

Quote:So Newton is a game manager? What about Eli and Rivers? Cutler, Romo?

I think there should be a 3rd category. Its not just black and white.

Elite - can singlehandedly win the game for you no matter what the odds

Franchise QB - can win most of his matchups, benefits with talent surrounding him

Game manager - is just a guy, is asked not to loose a game for his team and to keep turnovers low.

Franchise is just a good game manager on a good roster.

Eli is one I think of as a good game manager. It was the NYG defense that allowed him to win superbowls. He's good as game managers go, but he's not an elite.

Same with rivers cutler and romo, all guys that need the team to allow them to succeed.

Why is this so hard to comprehend?

Quote: 

Why is this so hard to comprehend?
It's incredibly simple to comprehend.  People just don't agree your personal system of categorizing QBs. (the one you've laughably  deemed the only right way to do so)

Might have something to do with the masterful QB analysis you've provided here in the past. 

Quote:It's incredibly simple to comprehend.  People just don't agree your personal system of categorizing QBs. (the one you've laughably  deemed the only right way to do so)

Might have something to do with the masterful QB analysis you've provided here in the past. 

Well everyone is free to believe what they want, but the logic I've put forth is rather ironclad.

You know an elite QB because he's the guy carrying his team on his shoulders. If it's any other way then you know he's a game manager.

Quote:Well everyone is free to believe what they want, but the logic I've put forth is rather ironclad.

You know an elite QB because he's the guy carrying his team on his shoulders. If it's any other way then you know he's a game manager.

Yes. Your system makes perfect sense.  Many folks just prefer some gray in between their black and white.  

I think this just comes down to "more than one way to skin a cat." 

Quote:Well everyone is free to believe what they want, but the logic I've put forth is rather ironclad.

Not even a the least bit ironclad

Quote:Yes. Your system makes perfect sense.  Many folks just prefer some gray in between their black and white.  

I think this just comes down to "more than one way to skin a cat." 

Right. I do think they're wrong, but I can respect that some people might be of the belief that there's a difference between Henne and Cutler worth considering.

Quote: but the logic I've put forth is rather ironclad.

right because Roethisberger and Wilson didn't have very good defenses when they won a SB, gotcha

Quote:right because Roethisberger and Wilson didn't have very good defenses when they won a SB, gotcha

Before Roethlisberger came into the game for the steelers they lost their first game and were losing their second one. He came in and they won against everyone.

In the superbowl against Arizona Roethlisberger was the guy that threw the game winning TD.

You can believe he's not an elite, but it's clear when he's not in the game for them it's a different team.

Same for Russell Wilson, before he came along they were a good .500 type of team that suffocated on defense but still didn't always win. Since Wilson came they're a team that can be counted on to win.

Quote:Before Roethlisberger came into the game for the steelers they lost their first game and were losing their second one. He came in and they won against everyone.

In the superbowl against Arizona Roethlisberger was the guy that threw the game winning TD.

You can believe he's not an elite, but it's clear when he's not in the game for them it's a different team.

Same for Russell Wilson, before he came along they were a good .500 type of team that suffocated on defense but still didn't always win. Since Wilson came they're a team that can be counted on to win.

Now replace Big Ben's name with those other QBs I listed. Does the bolded part not apply to them?

Quote:Before Roethlisberger came into the game for the steelers they lost their first game and were losing their second one. He came in and they won against everyone.

And you don't think it's the same for the Bengals? Take Dalton out and they'll be picking in the top 10 next year.