Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dalton's new contract: 6 years 115 million

Quote:Now replace Big Ben's name with those other QBs I listed. Does the bolded part not apply to them?

Quote:And you don't think it's the same for the Bengals? Take Dalton out and they'll be picking in the top 10 next year.

No, take Dalton out and they're still a team that doesn't make the superbowl during his time there, same for the other guys in your list.

The Bengals have one of the NFL's best defenses and one of the best WRs and they still can barely make the playoffs and get beaten soundly when they're actually there.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:No, take Dalton out and they're still a team that doesn't make the superbowl during his time there, same for the other guys in your list.
Just keep on spinning it. I didn't know that not making the superbowl was the same as picking in the top 5. Nothing in between, right?

Quote:Just keep on spinning it. I didn't know that not making the superbowl was the same as picking in the top 5. Nothing in between, right?

You're crazy if you think they're picking top 5.

There's a big difference between being bad and just being a little worse.

They had a down year when they drafted Dalton. (4-12) However it's not like they were consistently terrible before then. They were 10-6 in 2009 and have only had 3 losing seasons in Marvin Lewis' time there. (he started at the same time that Del Zero started in Jacksonville)

Quote:You're crazy if you think they're picking top 5.
How is that so far fetched? They picked in the top 5 coming off a season where they had Carson Palmer.

You gonna tell me that whoever the backup is in CIN >>>>> better than Palmer?

Quote:How is that so far fetched? They picked in the top 5 coming off a season where they had Carson Palmer.

You gonna tell me that whoever the backup is in CIN >>>>> better than Palmer?

I already addressed it. 4-12 doesn't happen in most seasons, especially not for their current roster. Put Henne on their present team and they still win 6 or 7 games. They have one of the NFL's best pass rushes and one of its best WRs.

Here are the true numbers. And of course there was some exaggeration.

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/dalton-ge...arly-march
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Here are the true numbers. And of course there was some exaggeration.

Not as bad as reported, but personally I'd have waited and franchised him to see if he actually improves to a level worth of $100million first.

Quote:I already addressed it. 4-12 doesn't happen in most seasons, especially not for their current roster. Put Henne on their present team and they still win 6 or 7 games. They have one of the NFL's best pass rushes and one of its best WRs.
You already addressed what? You don't think there's a huge dropoff in talent from Dalton to Jason Campbell? Without Dalton, they're easlily picking in the top 10 yet if not the top 5. Even with the talent they have on defense, you can't win without a QB.

Browns for instance had a top 10 defense and one of the better WRs in the game last year, yet they picked in the top 5 in the draft. While they're not as talented as Cincy, they're not far off. You put Dalton on the Browns, they're instantly a playoff contender.

Quote:Not as bad as reported, but personally I'd have waited and franchised him to see if he actually improves to a level worth of $100million first.
Why? You basically know what you're getting with Dalton, not elite but above average QB. Those are hard to come by. Lock him up and do your best to surround him with talent is a smart move IMO.

I'd be upset if I was a Bengals fan

The player holding the Bengals back got a mega contract

Quote:Here are the true numbers. And of course there was some exaggeration.

Some exaggeration. You think?

These posts are hilarious. Everyone overreacts ($115 million!) and then goes off the tracks regarding the thirteen levels of quarterbacks. Apparently it's been determined that Dalton fits into category 7.45.

I thought you guys were football fans who follow the game pretty closely. You should know by now that the first figures of new NFL contracts are never what they seem to be. This one seems to follow the new business model for NFL QB contracts - at least for younger guys who've yet to be determined as can't miss QBs. It appears that after year two, and $25 million paid out, the deal is a year to year proposition. Much like Kapernick's recent contract.

What else were the Bengals to do? Let him become a free agent and/or franchise him - then cut him and start over and hope for the best?

We of all people should know what it's like when you don't have a guy. The Bengals think (hope) they do. If after two more years it's determined they don't like what they see they'll have some decisions to make.

This seems reasonable for both sides. 

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:There are two kinds of QBs, elite QBs, and game managers. Never pay a game manager like an elite. Ever.

The Bengals made a big mistake today, and it's not uncommon. It's the mistake of thinking they have to hold on to a guy who isn't elite in spite of the cost.

The cowboys made the mistake with Romo, the texans made the mistake with Schaub, the Jaguars made the mistake with Garrard.

At least in Schaub's case they didn't pay true elite money, but really teams show they don't even understand the makeup of their own team's success when they make moves like this.
P. Manning and T. Brady are the only elite QB's in the NFL.   I love Romo, but agree with you on that...as bad as his O lines were and the past few years with the bad D, hard to fork over all that money to a guy when the team has not had much success.  I think Jerry was afraid someone would pay that much and somebody would have....  Can't blame him because after Aikman, they couldn't find and develop a QB till they were fortunate to hit on Romo, who we all know was undrafted.  They still do not have Tony's replacement.  However, as far as the contract goes, I believe there is an out in 2 years.  Not sure exactly how, but I have read often there is one.

All these classifications for QB types and I still haven't seen one which adequately describes what we have had to put up these past few years.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:All these classifications for QB types and I still haven't seen one which adequately describes what we have had to put up these past few years.
I think "elite" applies

Quote:P. Manning and T. Brady are the only elite QB's in the NFL.   I love Romo, but agree with you on that...as bad as his O lines were and the past few years with the bad D, hard to fork over all that money to a guy when the team has not had much success.  I think Jerry was afraid someone would pay that much and somebody would have....  Can't blame him because after Aikman, they couldn't find and develop a QB till they were fortunate to hit on Romo, who we all know was undrafted.  They still do not have Tony's replacement.  However, as far as the contract goes, I believe there is an out in 2 years.  Not sure exactly how, but I have read often there is one.

I think Brees and Rodgers would have something to say about not being elite.

I think the Dalton deal is a bit much but past performance is not an indicator of the future.  They now get to build around the QB and have a clear vision.  That is a worthwhile business strategy, regardless if the class is a 4 or 5, just a guy or elite QB.

(This post was last modified: 08-07-2014, 03:23 PM by pirkster.)

Quote:The player holding the Bengals back got a mega contract

LOL...

From what I gather from it, worst case scenario... it can essentially be a two year deal if things go south and they have a change of heart.

And...

Get used to the numbers.  This is probably going to be typical of what the under-elite QBs are going to be paid.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Jason Campbell looking strong out there against those third stringers. Easily could replace Dalton with no fall off.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:All these classifications for QB types and I still haven't seen one which adequately describes what we have had to put up these past few years.

That would be "Etile". The exact opposite of elite, as in as far to the other end of the spectrum of elite that's possible.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.