Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Democrat Rep. to Those Who Lost Their Healthcare Plans: ‘Stop Whining, You Liars’

Democrat Rep. to Those Who Lost Their Healthcare Plans: ‘Stop Whining, You Liars’

“If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan. Period.” Politifact designated that promise, uttered over and over again by Barack Obama as he attempted to sell the American people on his now failed signature legislation Obamacare, as the “Lie of the Year.”

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/07/31/democrat-...you-liars/

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

A few issues to raise with this:

1: The site is called Tea Party News Network. Now we can argue back and forth on a media bias in the major news networks but you'll excuse me if I put more stock in the political opinion of my 3 year old nephew.

2: Deliberate misquote. Eshoo never said "stop whining, you liars" as the article header suggests. At least they have the dignity to include the full quote in the article:

Quote: 

Rep. Eshoo said, “Your plan is whining. Your plan is suing the president and using taxpayer dollars. I hope no more Saturday Night Live whining is brought up in legislation because it’s not attractive, it’s not truthful, and it really does not fit with the dignity of the American people.”
What she's effectively saying is that the Republican plan to complain and sue the president is pathetic and if they plan on opposing legislation then do it in a manner that isn't downright embarrassing. People on this forum even agree the whole suing the president thing is nothing more than a useless dog and pony show. She isn't even addressing those who lost their health care plans so the entire headline is false.

3: Misinformation: 

Quote:$840 million of taxpayer dollars that was used to build a website that has never worked.

Now, I'm not going to pretend any government is anywhere near efficient but I think not even the US government spent $840 million on a website.

Quote:A few issues to raise with this:

1: The site is called Tea Party News Network. Now we can argue back and forth on a media bias in the major news networks but you'll excuse me if I put more stock in the political opinion of my 3 year old nephew.

2: Deliberate misquote. Eshoo never said "stop whining, you liars" as the article header suggests. At least they have the dignity to include the full quote in the article:

What she's effectively saying is that the Republican plan to complain and sue the president is pathetic and if they plan on opposing legislation then do it in a manner that isn't downright embarrassing. People on this forum even agree the whole suing the president thing is nothing more than a useless dog and pony show. She isn't even addressing those who lost their health care plans so the entire headline is false.

3: Misinformation: 

Now, I'm not going to pretend any government is anywhere near efficient but I think not even the US government spent $840 million on a website.

I'm not sure the exact number but it was over 600 million I remember that.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:I'm not sure the exact number but it was over 600 million I remember that.
A quick Google search and I stand corrected.  :blink:

Quote:A quick Google search and I stand corrected.  :blink:

Yeah...not pretty is it?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2014, 06:23 PM by boudreaumw.)

Oregon by itself through away something like 200 million. Had a contract with oracle to design the site but for some reason there was nothing in the contract saying they had to deliver a working site. So obviously it doesnt

And here I thought the European Union was an inefficient bureaucratic monster. 

Quote:And here I thought the European Union was an inefficient bureaucratic monster. 

yeah no one waste money like the US government

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Most IT people you talk to say that building a working website without the backside leaks of the current site could have been constructed privately for something like $60 million.

Quote:Most IT people you talk to say that building a working website without the backside leaks of the current site could have been constructed privately for something like $60 million.

Clearly those people didn't contribute enough to the Dope and Chains Campaign to warrant a contract.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The government procurement process needs an enema as it invites gross overspending. This number is absurd. So high that it reminded me of an excerpt from the book "Blind Man's Bluff" (which is a fabulous read about the history of submarines - great for any Navy or Red October-type buff) where they lumped in a bunch of money into seemingly legit government projects to "launder" tax dollars for black ops initiatives. Not saying that is what happened here, just that the number is so high, it could easily be funding things it is not publicly designed to.

But seriously, check that book out. So good even for those who do not like non-fiction. Scary how close we came to WWIII without even knowing it. Was referred to me by a retired vet who spent 30 years on subs. Said it most closely described what it was really like. I find it's harder for people to take you seriously if you can't name the last book you read.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:The government procurement process needs an enema as it invites gross overspending. This number is absurd. So high that it reminded me of an excerpt from the book "Blind Man's Bluff" (which is a fabulous read about the history of submarines - great for any Navy or Red October-type buff) where they lumped in a bunch of money into seemingly legit government projects to "launder" tax dollars for black ops initiatives. Not saying that is what happened here, just that the number is so high, it could easily be funding things it is not publicly designed to.

But seriously, check that book out. So good even for those who do not like non-fiction. Scary how close we came to WWIII without even knowing it. Was referred to me by a retired vet who spent 30 years on subs. Said it most closely described what it was really like. I find it's harder for people to take you seriously if you can't name the last book you read.

Thank you for the suggestion, sounds like a great read. I just finished Zeke Emanuel's book Reinventing American Healthcare, an autopsy on the creation and implementation of the ACA along with his insights as to the next 20 years in the industry. I don't agree with him on several points, but it's a good look at the left/administration's positions on healthcare.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

It's really well done. She interviewed people going back to the first US subs and recounted their first hand experiences. A lot of the stuff is declassified now, but tells stories of things which were highly covert at the time. The first chapter isn't wowing, but it picks up steam quickly after that. It is a living history of subs, how they evolved and how they were used. Won't spoil anything, but there are some eye opening segments told by the men who lived it. Plus it sheds light on how the different branches of government hide things from each other and inevitably step on each other's toes.

Quote:I'm not sure the exact number but it was over 600 million I remember that.

Yeah, the number comes directly from the GAO. And if that's the figure being reported, rest assured it's probably over a billion and counting.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Most IT people you talk to say that building a working website without the backside leaks of the current site could have been constructed privately for something like $60 million.

Yup. But that's private sector where budgets matter and there's less bureaucratic garbage and red tape to deal with.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2014, 03:58 PM by Kotite.)

A good friend of mine's older brother worked for the GAO. He told me that if they reported every instance of waste or overspending they saw, they would be working round the clock every day. They are really there to document as best they can, but they get pressure not to report a lot of things. It is not the true internal audit its supposed to be.

Quote:A good friend of mine's older brother worked for the GAO. He told me that if they reported every instance of waste or overspending they saw, they would be working round the clock every day. They are really there to document as best they can, but they get pressure not to report a lot of things. It is not the true internal audit its supposed to be.

They're also forced to make projections that they know will never come to fruition because of variables to the proposed legislation that will never be decided or enforced.