Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Workhorse, Bell Cow or Bull ?

Interesting article on Gerhart's role in the team..,

http://m.jaguars.com/s/30840/260?itemPos...1001210114

It suggests 20 carries a game are unlikely and that he might be sharing more with Todman (who appears to be the number two choice)

Just interested if you think our coaching staff might be backing away from the talk of a "Bell Cow" or "Workhorse" ?

Or do you believe this was the plan all along and that they really did envisage a "different type of workhorse" ?

Or... Are all these labels just a load of bull ?

Thoughts ?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yeah, all these labels are a load of bull. imo

I still think Gearhorse will be the bell cow especially if we don't have a healthy passing attack.

In my opinion, as long as the running game has the ability to sustain drives with some big plays here and there and the backs aren't a liability in the passing game...it doesn't matter who is labeled what and how the carries are split.

Regardless of what is said, even if there is a some rotation with another back, Gerhart will see 15-20 carries per game.  I am not convinced that this OL can protect a QB, believing that we will still see lots of running the ball.

Looking at the date of the article it seems that Gus's comments about Todman are coming to fruition. The staff has been praising Todman's progress throughout the offseason and he's probably earned the right to get a few more carries a game than what they were projection earlier in the process.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I'd be more interested in how many snaps he gets per game.  Not just touches.  He's going to be the #1 guy for two reasons I think: 1.  He is the best runner of the guys we have.  2.  He's the best blocking RB we have.  Those two things mean he can be an every down back because he can run and block.  That's why MJD was a 3 down back in his prime because he could do both and do them well.

I think it will depend a lot on how good we are - or how many second half leads we have.

I still suspect Gerhart to put up some serious yardage and TDs despite bradley touting they want to limit him better than they did jones-drew.

I'd like to see a split in carries vs one guy carrying the load ala Mojo and his 300+ carries grinding it out. Keep the guys fresh and ready. Gerhart doesn't have a lot of mileage on him either so throwing him right into 25 carries a game might not be a good idea regardless right away. He might need time getting used to being 'the' guy vs a few carries here and there. I'm intrigued and excited to see how Toby does with being the RB1. He has nice athleticism for a man his size.

It'll depend on how well he performs and how big the drop off is when he's off the field.

I'm walking out on a limb here and betting that the number of carries Gerhart has every game will depend on how many times he's handed the ball. Call me crazy, but that's where my money is going.

Quote:I'm walking out on a limb here and betting that the number of carries Gerhart has every game will depend on how many times he's handed the ball. Call me crazy, but that's where my money is going.
That's just silly talk.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:That's just silly talk.

I live on the edge like that. It's who I am.

I think we'll get a glance after Friday but a better idea after a few weeks of Preseason has occured as to how great the Offense will be or how much worse (injuries).