Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Developing Faster than anticipated?

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="FBT" data-cid="250968" data-time="1407855841">
<div>
They made a point yesterday, and really stepped it up in practice as well.  Bortles faced a very vanilla defense with a 4 man front.  There wasn't much for him to process out there.  He did look great for his first outing, and if there's going to be a good way to start, that's how you want it to look.  But, we'll probably see a lot more complexity this week in Chicago.  Because of this, it sounds like they really went heavy on 11 x 11 drills including a ton of blitzing in practice yesterday to take his training to the next level. 

This week and next should be good tests of where he is at in his development.  I suspect he'll take a step back, but nothing major.  He does still have a lot he himself admits he needs to work on.

Yes, I know he faced a very vanilla defense, but that doesn't/shouldn't exclude the fact that he put the ball in very-very tight windows... Chad also faced a very vanilla defense and he didn't try to throw the ball into tight windows like Bortles... vanilla defense or not...you still have to process your reads...

Yeah, this week and next week we will get a better view of where he's at... the third pre-season game is where the starters play into the third quarter... if Blake shows improvement in these next two weeks I think it will be hard to keep him on the bench...

</div>
</blockquote>

He did what he was asked to do, and he did it the way you'd expect a high first round draft pick to do it.  He did throw into some extremely tight windows and showed a lot of confidence in himself and his receivers.  He made his reads and played extremely well. 

Still, the real test will come when he's dealing with blitzing and defensive schemes he's not all that familiar with from his playing days at UCF.  I'm not saying he should sit for the entire season.  I think he's developing exactly the way they'd HOPED he would, and that he will get a shot at starting this year.  I just don't see it happening on opening day. 

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I tend to think that there will be a stumble here in the preseason.  There's still quite a bit he needs to work on.  We'll see if that's exposed over the next couple of weeks or not. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The coaches are preaching consistency, and quite frankly Bortles doesn't have it yet even if he's outplaying Henne.

What will close the gap, IMO, is if/when Bortles plays as consistently well in practice as he has on the field (and keeps playing well on the field.)

That's when he'll get the #1 snaps, and the new chapter begins.

It was good to hear today's practice was a good one for the offense all around.  Henne, Bortles, WRs, OL, Gerhart back in pads... every facet got good marks.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:The key is paying attention to how many snaps he gets in practice with the #1s.  To date, he's had zero.

If or when that changes, then as Vic infamously said... "watch this."

Practicing with the #1s will tell the tale of whether or not the tide is turning, and if they are changing their stance on "redshirting" Bortles.

I'm guessing he gets more snaps with the 1s if he plays well again on Thursday.  We'll see.  

There's still plenty of time to get snaps with the 1s.

This is not Blaine Gabbert.  This guy has an aura about him.  I can't think of a time that I've really gone out on a limb on this board, usually take a middle ground with the team and a 'wait and see attitude' with players.  Not this time.

I think this is going to be a lot better team than people are expecting and the key is the QB.  I think Bortles is the QB.  We'll see as preseason unfolds.

And everyone can save their time if they disagree with me.  This is just my opinion and I don't expect the majority of you to agree with it.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:I'm guessing he gets more snaps with the 1s if he plays well again on Thursday.  We'll see.  

There's still plenty of time to get snaps with the 1s.

This is not Blaine Gabbert.  This guy has an aura about him.  I can't think of a time that I've really gone out on a limb on this board, usually take a middle ground with the team and a 'wait and see attitude' with players.  Not this time.

I think this is going to be a lot better team than people are expecting and the key is the QB.  I think Bortles is the QB.  We'll see as preseason unfolds.

And everyone can save their time if they disagree with me.  This is just my opinion and I don't expect the majority of you to agree with it.
He's going to get his chance to work with the first team before the season starts.  It makes no sense not to.  I think the 3rd game will be the one where we see him get some reps, and then we'll know where he's at. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I heard Henne get Qtrs 1 and 2 and Bortles gets Qtrs 3 and 4 at Chicago... That sounds pretty standard.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Some people want the team to be perfect around him before he plays. O line looking like the Cowboys circa early 90's and all pro bowl wr's. After only then do they trot him out there. Bortles will be signing an extension on a 2nd contract before we see him start.

All this comes down to the coach we have. If Pettine was down here and Gus was in Cleveland we would be having a real qb competition not this scared to take the wrapper off your new toy crap, and they would be stuck getting Johnny's mechanics prestine on the bench the whole year. The Blaine Gabbert bust has shell shocked a lot of people around this franchise man. Im ready for the team to when after watching over five years of losing and tnrowing another year away on Henne is aggravating as hell.

Don't try to alter my optimism because I won't let it be taken away from me, but wouldn't it be cool if we had an All-Pro, MVP level QB in teal? How fun would that ride be? Save me the "Are we really talking All-Pro after one pre-season game" rhetoric because to be a Jaguar fan means to be a dreamer and honestly, I'd expect top 5 talent at any position to be pro bowl/All-Pro players. Rich Gannon won an MVP and Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl. I think he has real skills. Anyway, start him when the time is right. That's my stance

In addition to my last post, it's pretty cool that Rich Gannon made his first probowl 12 years after he was drafted on his 4th team. Then won MVP in '02. Love football, man. Got me Wikipedia roaming through football history

Quote:He did what he was asked to do, and he did it the way you'd expect a high first round draft pick to do it.  He did throw into some extremely tight windows and showed a lot of confidence in himself and his receivers.  He made his reads and played extremely well. 

Still, the real test will come when he's dealing with blitzing and defensive schemes he's not all that familiar with from his playing days at UCF.  I'm not saying he should sit for the entire season.  I think he's developing exactly the way they'd HOPED he would, and that he will get a shot at starting this year.  I just don't see it happening on opening day. 

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I tend to think that there will be a stumble here in the preseason.  There's still quite a bit he needs to work on.  We'll see if that's exposed over the next couple of weeks or not. 

Sure he did what you would expect or hope any first round draft pick would do.... but the thing is, from what I've been reading and watching on Jags .com is he's AHEAD of where they thought he would be... coming in to training camp, after OTA's and the time off... both Bradley and Fisch have said he was ahead of where they thought he would/should be... that in itself speaks volumes about him...

Sure he's going to stumble and make mistakes when facing something he's never seen before... so does 2nd or 3rd year starting QB's... that's nothing new as all DC's try to throw something new at Manning or even Brady all the time...

I've never said he should start day one... there's still a lot to work with him... most rookie QB's or even rookie players at any position falls back into bad habits when they are under pressure or seeing something new for the first time... it's how they react after that that matters the most... so far Bortles doesn't seem like this stage is to big for him as he shrugs it off and moves on to the next play... all the dropped passes didn't seem to bother him as he kept on putting the ball on the money after the drops... he seems to be unlike the last couple of QB's the Jags have had...

[url=http://home.comcast.net/~midimusic2006/mp3/sec/Tennessee__Rocky_Top.mp3][/url]</P><P>
;
 </P> <DIV class=b2></DIV>
;

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014, 08:38 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Don't try to alter my optimism because I won't let it be taken away from me, but wouldn't it be cool if we had an All-Pro, MVP level QB in teal? How fun would that ride be? Save me the "Are we really talking All-Pro after one pre-season game" rhetoric because to be a Jaguar fan means to be a dreamer and honestly, I'd expect top 5 talent at any position to be pro bowl/All-Pro players. Rich Gannon won an MVP and Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl. I think he has real skills. Anyway, start him when the time is right. That's my stance

I don't think those are unrealistic expectations for Bortles in time....

So, lets not rush his development so we can get the most out of Bortles' potential, right? :thumbsup: 

Quote:I don't think those are unrealistic expectations for Bortles in time....

So, lets not rush his development so we can get the most out of Bortles' potential, right? :thumbsup:

There is no proof that sitting a qb maximizes their potential.

Am I the only one who thinks it is a bad sign for Henne that he might play a whole half in the 2nd preseason game? The rookie is breathing down his neck at this point in time.

Quote:There is no proof that sitting a qb maximizes their potential.

Of course not. If there was proof of such a thing, everyone would do it. There's no set way to develop a QB, man.

Quote:Am I the only one who thinks it is a bad sign for Henne that he might play a whole half in the 2nd preseason game? The rookie is breathing down his neck at this point in time.

Another average game from Henne and another good game from Bortles will heat up these talks significantly.
Shock the world

Quote:Of course not. If there was proof of such a thing, everyone would do it. There's no set way to develop a QB, man.

That's my point.

Quote:That's my point.

Some QBs come in the league with experience in the pro, mechanically sound footwork, and just learn fast. I'm sure there's a bunch of reasons why some would be better off sitting and some can come right in and BALL. But if the GM, who I trust, zeroes in on a quarterback EIGHT months in before the draft, says he thought he had a chance to be the 2015 1st overall pick, pick him in the top 3, wouldn't trade back despite calls, and says he's our man, I'm thinking he's confident enough in him to play out the gate, but wants to refine some things. I'll wait and be patient to give the young fella some seasoning. We aren't winning anything anytime soon. I think after the bye is when we'll see Blake B.

Quote:Am I the only one who thinks it is a bad sign for Henne that he might play a whole half in the 2nd preseason game? The rookie is breathing down his neck at this point in time.
It's common for starters to play a whole half in the second preseason game. Not sure how that is a bad sign.

Maybe Gus will talk to the Bears coach Marc Trestman before the game and ask him to blitz Bortles in the second half so Blake could increase his "body of work"

Fans can flip flop and blow with the wind and change their minds after one game, but coaches and GMs are paid to have a plan and be steady with it.   They'll change the plan when they are sure it's time to change the plan, and they for darn sure don't want to change the plan and then change back when things go the other way.   Gus will make Blake the starter when he is sure he won't ever have to go back to Henne. 

It'll happen.   We just have to be patient.   One game isn't going to do it. 

I was extremely impressed with Bortles accuracy/decision making in his debut last Friday, if he continues to build upon that performance whilst Henne continues to stink it up I think we will see Bortles a lot sooner than anticipated, remember Bradley was in Seattle when the incumbent starter (IMatt Flynn) was over taken by the rookie (Russel Wilson)