Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Developing Faster than anticipated?

Quote:yeah no kidding, it would be like saying Colvin is the best DB on the team

No, not really, The AFCS has QB in it like Andrew Luck....

Our defensive backfield after Colvin is......well......poop. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:No, not really, The AFCS has QB in it like Andrew Luck....

it's really not both Cyp and Gratz played pretty well and both appear to be improving. Colvin is nothing until he plays and is actually healthy but I do think he could be very good.

[Image: tumblr_lsm5i7tOSM1qemncho1_500.gif]

Good article on Blake

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl.../13439025/

See what happens in pre-season. Henne also looks better than last year and SHOULD be.

No pain, no gain.

Quote:See what happens in pre-season. Henne also looks better than last year and SHOULD be.
I think he will be. Not a different player better but I could still see 7 to 9 wins.

He's a 78 on madden... he's ready. Put him in the coach, game.

No one is safe.

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2014, 12:06 AM by Kodiak.)

TMD, I love you my man, but saying that our D-Backs are poop... I would heartily disagree with that opinion. Let me explain:

A) Both were rookies last year, and for most of the season had a rookie free safety in with them. Both made a jump from lesser competition (Big East and AAC) to starting on an NFL team. Most teams don't even consider having two rookies in the backfield, we put three and all three made clear improvement from the first game to the last. Note also that they played behind the worst pass rush in the league, in a defense that counts on the pass rush to succeed. No one in their right mind expects rookies to come in and shut down opposing offenses week in and week out.

B )Considering the fact that Cyprien was our second leading tackler and Gratz is extremely physical as well, it's clear that they have the right mentality as it comes to stopping the run. Cyprien is incredibly athletic, and Gratz makes up for his lack of measurable with a knack for making plays on the ball (which after all is the most important part of being a corner). They have potential in their skillsets, for Cyp I (and many other commentators much more knowledgeable than me) believe he has the potential to be elite. This offseason is critical to their development and by all accounts they seem to be making the most of it.

C) Unless you know something our staff and the rest of the league doesn't, you may be wrong in assuming that you know more about the quality of these players than the professionals. I would also say you're throwing your argument into question by saying that Colvin, torn ACL and all, is the best player in our backfield despite never having played a snap.

D) And this is really just an aside for you and every one else here... I'm not saying throw on the deep-tinted teal shades, but it really is ok to be optimistic about our team. Why? Because our team is realistically getting better. It's not just a mantra anymore. We have young talent such as Cyp, Gratz, Joeckel, Lee, Colvin, etc. We also are currently grooming our franchise QB (who is by all accounts making great strides). That's not to say that our team is gonna be amazing. We have questions, specifically along our offensive line and wide receiver depth. I personally would be ecstatic if we made 7-9. But that doesn't mean that we have to be negative about our team. It's possibly the result of so many years of depravity, but regardless it needs to stop, for all of us.

One can never stop finding faults in a given situation. If you look you're gonna find them. It might be harder, and more potentially damaging on your emotions, to put some emotional stock in this team, but you know what? I would rather be disappointed for 10 games and overjoyed with six, than detachedly pessimistic about them all. 

#GusJuice 

"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

Quote:TMD, I love you my man, but saying that our D-Backs are poop... I would heartily disagree with that opinion. Let me explain:

A) Both were rookies last year, and for most of the season had a rookie free safety in with them. Both made a jump from lesser competition (Big East and AAC) to starting on an NFL team. Most teams don't even consider having two rookies in the backfield, we put three and all three made clear improvement from the first game to the last. Note also that they played behind the worst pass rush in the league, in a defense that counts on the pass rush to succeed. No one in their right mind expects rookies to come in and shut down opposing offenses week in and week out.

B )Considering the fact that Cyprien was our second leading tackler and Gratz is extremely physical as well, it's clear that they have the right mentality as it comes to stopping the run. Cyprien is incredibly athletic, and Gratz makes up for his lack of measurable with a knack for making plays on the ball (which after all is the most important part of being a corner). They have potential in their skillsets, for Cyp I (and many other commentators much more knowledgeable than me) believe he has the potential to be elite. This offseason is critical to their development and by all accounts they seem to be making the most of it.

C) Unless you know something our staff and the rest of the league doesn't, you may be wrong in assuming that you know more about the quality of these players than the professionals. I would also say you're throwing your argument into question by saying that Colvin, torn ACL and all, is the best player in our backfield despite never having played a snap.

D) And this is really just an aside for you and every one else here... I'm not saying throw on the deep-tinted teal shades, but it really is ok to be optimistic about our team. Why? Because our team is realistically getting better. It's not just a mantra anymore. We have young talent such as Cyp, Gratz, Joeckel, Lee, Colvin, etc. We also are currently grooming our franchise QB (who is by all accounts making great strides). That's not to say that our team is gonna be amazing. We have questions, specifically along our offensive line and wide receiver depth. I personally would be ecstatic if we made 7-9. But that doesn't mean that we have to be negative about our team. It's possibly the result of so many years of depravity, but regardless it needs to stop, for all of us.

One can never stop finding faults in a given situation. If you look you're gonna find them. It might be harder, and more potentially damaging on your emotions, to put some emotional stock in this team, but you know what? I would rather be disappointed for 10 games and overjoyed with six, than detachedly pessimistic about them all.

#GusJuice
I'm pretty sure you aren't the only poster who has tried to pass this logic by him. You can lead a horse to water but you can make him drink.

Poop? I thought you said Gratz was average?

Back to Bortles.  I'm getting the feeling he will be starting by week 9.  All this talk about how he's progressing faster than anticipated, plus, if we're really aiming to make our big move upward as a team in 2015, it would be wise to get our 2015 starter some solid experience.  

Quote:[Image: tumblr_lsm5i7tOSM1qemncho1_500.gif]

[Image: look-at-me.jpg]

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Alan Ball was one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL last year :/

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:[Image: tumblr_lsm5i7tOSM1qemncho1_500.gif]

He's just covering his bases so he's got something to complain about.

Back to the actual topic which has been hijacked, if Bortles is ahead of the curve, great. Let's wait until we see him dealing with a real pass rush and people hitting him.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I like the sound of that "developing faster than anticipated".

This is going to be a fun new era of the Jags to watch, especially after the past few seasons we have had to endure.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Bortles will start when he is ready and when the offensive line is ready. 

He'll be starting 4-5 weeks into the season.  

I don't want to see Bortles this year. I don't care if he's progressing faster than expected or if we are 0-8 and out if playoff contention. At this point, it's not even about the QB being ready, it's about the offensive line, rookie receivers, and offense being ready. I've had to sit through mediocre season after mediocre season and I'm ready to have a passer. And I'm not talking about a competent passer, I'll skip that phase, I want to have a truly gifted passer flourish because he was given the time and surrounding talent to. I've limped through

the Gabbert Era, the Garrard Era, and the Leftwich Era, bringing me one or two good seasons over my entire allegiance to the Jags (a little too young to witness the Brunell Era). If Blake is the guy and we aren't going anywhere anytime soon, let him learn footwork, defenses, and the play book until he can do it all in his sleep. I'll be patient and hopefully my patience will be rewarded with good fortunes in due time. For now, let our other talent develop and then assimilate Bortles in the offense. I'm thinking of hoisting a Supernowl in my lifetime. Pending I don't die tomorrow or in the next ten years, I can see that happening with the proper patience. If, and only if, we decide to get him some starter experience, hopefully it's after London where he has two weeks to prepare with the first team.

There are guys played right away that were successful.

There are guys that sat that were successful.

There is no perfect way to handle a quarterback.

But I do hate when people throw Gabbert's name out there. As if him starting his rookie year is why he sucked. He sucked because he sucked. He isn't an NFL quarterback. He could have sat three years and been starting this year and I am pretty sure he would have sucked.

;

;

Quote:There are guys played right away that were successful.

There are guys that sat that were successful.

There is no perfect way to handle a quarterback.

But I do hate when people throw Gabbert's name out there. As if him starting his rookie year is why he sucked. He sucked because he sucked. He isn't an NFL quarterback. He could have sat three years and been starting this year and I am pretty sure he would have sucked.

I also don't like when people amount Gabbert's failures to him starting early. But I have to mention, Russell Wilson, Andy Dalton, RG3, and Cam Newton all had good teams or talented teams. Luck is the only one in recent memory to over perform. But ultimately. If you're a player, you're a player. I'd rather build the roster first. Hell, if Dave Caldwell and Gus Bradley believe in this plan, I do too.