Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Developing Faster than anticipated?

The Seahawks were 7-9 the year before Wilson

The Redskins were 5-11 the year before RGIII

The Bengals were 4-12 the year before Dalton

The Panthers were 2-14 the year before Newton

Not good teams

;

;

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The Seahawks were 7-9 the year before Wilson

The Redskins were 5-11 the year before RGIII

The Bengals were 4-12 the year before Dalton

The Panthers were 2-14 the year before Newton

Not good teams

I knew someone would bring up records. I said good or talent supplemented teams, dude that needed a QB. I don't care what the record was, RG3 had an offseason that saw them pick up wideouts before he played a game. Bengals, Seahawks, and Panthers had good defenses or talented receivers. They weren't void of talent like our team was/is.

I dont think the Jags fit into the same area as the Seahawks, Redskins, Panthers and such as they still had more talent at the time of drafting. But we are building and you can see it.

Reminds me of the QB fear from some people before the draft. Don't draft a QB. We need to stack the offensive line first!!!

;

;

Pete's Jaguar camp review posted this morning.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete...ng-bortles

Quote:Back to Bortles.  I'm getting the feeling he will be starting by week 9.  All this talk about how he's progressing faster than anticipated, plus, if we're really aiming to make our big move upward as a team in 2015, it would be wise to get our 2015 starter some solid experience.  

Week 9 is acceptable/ reasonable. 

I set my estimate at week 10, but we're picking at straws there. 

Quote:Bortles will start when he is ready and when the offensive line is ready. 

...and when Lee/ Robinson already have some seasoning. 

Developing faster than expected.. He is already growing out of his training bra.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Not really concerned about Blake's progress  at the moment - as long as he's actually progressing.  While we may indeed see him start before this season ends, it's next year that will tell the tale on Bortles.   Bortles/Lee/A. Robinson starting in their second season seems very appealing.  I expect good things at that point. 

At this point, I expect Blake to look like a rookie.  He's got widely documented issues to correct with technique and footwork and he's got a hefty offensive playbook to digest. We may see some good things in preseason, but  we'll see some bad too and I do think he'll benefit from sitting for at least half of the season. 

Quote:Pete's Jaguar camp review posted this morning.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete...ng-bortles
"On<a class="" href='http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24647275/jaguars-training-camp-coaches-should-change-take-on-starting-bortles#'> Saturday night</a>, Bortles showed he's a gamer, the kind of player who might not light it up on the practice field but shows up in game-like situations and games. He was clearly a different-looking player in the scrimmage than what he has shown on the practice field."

This stood out to me, which is the opposite of the last first round QB we had. This Friday will be a better measuring stick in live action (like some have said "when the red shirt comes off").

Gus' maxim is 'competition" and I'm rooting for our first round pick to beat out a proven defaulted commodity like Henne. Bortles has work to do but his rawness (in my mind) translates a bit more in game situations (quoted above) were his size and athleticism has showed to allow him to improvise to make big plays.

Seems like people want to explain away the idea of Bortles beating out Henne. It really doesn't seem that farfetched.

No one is safe.

Quote:I dont think the Jags fit into the same area as the Seahawks, Redskins, Panthers and such as they still had more talent at the time of drafting. But we are building and you can see it.

This is true, but we are in better shape than the Dolphins in 2012 and we compare favorably to the 2008 Falcons.

Quote:Per Pro football talk...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/cat...umor-mill/

Considering he was also made second team QB and not third, is it possible he may become starter earlier than anticipated?

I think the team doesn't want to rush him.

However, if they were 100% married to the idea they would not rush Bortles' development and he would not start this year under any circumstances, they would have made him the 3rd QB.

Over the summer, the subject of Bortles getting playing time/starts this year was the subject of debate on this board.

It appears those indicating he will get starts this year have a little more evidence they were right.
A rookie that is progressing quick start him, relax they've publicly said he will not start...

and we always beleive the front office...

dont we?

Quote:"On Saturday night, Bortles showed he's a gamer, the kind of player who might not light it up on the practice field but shows up in game-like situations and games. He was clearly a different-looking player in the scrimmage than what he has shown on the practice field."

This stood out to me, which is the opposite of the last first round QB we had. This Friday will be a better measuring stick in live action (like some have said "when the red shirt comes off").

Gus' maxim is 'competition" and I'm rooting for our first round pick to beat out a proven defaulted commodity like Henne. Bortles has work to do but his rawness (in my mind) translates a bit more in game situations (quoted above) were his size and athleticism has showed to allow him to improvise to make big plays.

Seems like people want to explain away the idea of Bortles beating out Henne. It really doesn't seem that farfetched.

It's not strange to think that a top 5 pick QB can beat out a guy who's never had more TD's than INT's in his career.  I fully expect Bortles to take over the starting spot sooner rather than later.  I don't know how long Gus can wait with Henne having 2-4 batted balls per game with only around a 6 ypa average.

Quote:It's not strange to think that a top 5 pick QB can beat out a guy who's never had more TD's than INT's in his career.  I fully expect Bortles to take over the starting spot sooner rather than later.  I don't know how long Gus can wait with Henne having 2-4 batted balls per game with only around a 6 ypa average.

Exactly. We know what Henne is. We are just starting find out what Bortles could be.

I like Bortles I thought he was the best QB in the draft I also like what you guys did at WR better than what we did ,Seattle fan here,   though on our forum if you say something like that they get out the torches and pitchforks.

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2014, 10:42 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I like Bortles I thought he was the best QB in the draft I also like what you guys did at WR better than what we did ,Seattle fan here,   though on our forum if you say something like that they get out the torches and pitchforks.

Don't kid yourself.....its like that on our forum too. 

You're frowned upon unless you are cheerleading 100% of the time. 

I like Bortles, but think Bridgewater was the best QB in the draft. 

Bridgewater was most ready. I hope Bottles reaches a higher ceiling after developing

He can see the line he just can't see over it LOL.

I'll repeat what I said before.

Pocket passer: Teddy

Dual threat: Johnny

It's clear I was wrong about Johnny. Gus wanted a dualthreat and after watching the most prolific pocket passer in NFL history get spanked in the Super Bowl, it was an easy decision for Caldwell. Speaking of dual threat, have we called any option plays? I remember Gabbert and Henne had a few last season despite their lack of wheels. Blake has showcased more clutch moments than Teddy too

Quote:He can see the line he just can't see over it LOL.

Russell Wilson is even shorter than Teddy, and he seems to be doing ok.