Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Libertarian

[Image: LIBERTARIAN-left-right.png]

My first full on political thread,

A former GOP Conservative I'm a pretty firm Libertarian these days. Just looking for some good conversation on the topic, what are your thoughts on the Libertarian Movement. Do you support or oppose them and why? Should Libertarians continue to try and work within the two party system or move to break away.

Those of you who don't know much about Libertarians I encourage you to research them or even ask about it here, I'll do my best to give my viewpoints and thoughts. 

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Oh and for the Record, Glenn Beck is not a libertarian, I know he calls himself one but he's not. 

Libertarian looks good in theory....

I'll have to do some reading up on it. 

I find myself leaning more and more Libertarian. I'll do what I want and you do what you want.

I like my government like I like my women: Lean, unobtrusive, and not prone to starting unnecessary wars in Asia.

Quote:I find myself leaning more and more Libertarian. I'll do what I want and you do what you want.

I like my government like I like my women: Lean, unobtrusive, and not prone to starting unnecessary wars in Asia.

I find my government is a lot like my women; Neither will make me a sammich.

[quote name="HIGH SCORE" post="240069" timestamp="1406527548"]

I find myself leaning more and more Libertarian. I'll do what I want and you do what you want.

I like my government like I like my women: Lean, unobtrusive, and not prone to starting unnecessary wars in Asia.[/]

Agreed their foreign policy was probably the biggest factor in me leaving the GOP for the libertarian party

Quote:[Image: LIBERTARIAN-left-right.png]

My first full on political thread,

A former GOP Conservative I'm a pretty firm Libertarian these days. Just looking for some good conversation on the topic, what are your thoughts on the Libertarian Movement. Do you support or oppose them and why? Should Libertarians continue to try and work within the two party system or move to break away.

Those of you who don't know much about Libertarians I encourage you to research them or even ask about it here, I'll do my best to give my viewpoints and thoughts. 

How do libertarians feel about laws regulating and minimizing pollution of our air and water?  

The issues aren't so black and white unfortunately. For example, I defend people's right to bear arms, but I would like to see the loophole closed that allows any felon to buy guns at gun shows. Saying that to some people is "taking away their guns" which is just silly. I think we already are spending enough money on the military and feel sliding a billion of that budget to education which some, for some reason don't view as a wise investment in America. Saying that to some means we will have a weak military. By comparison, the next closest three militaries in the world combined would still be like Bowling Green trying to beat Alabama in football. I have very liberal views on personal freedoms and very conservative views on fiscal responsibility, yet the Libertarian model as I have seen it does not apply to me. Even though I am thoroughly fed up with the two party system.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:How do libertarians feel about laws regulating and minimizing pollution of our air and water?  

Libertarians support local legislation fighting pollution at the state level rather than the federal level. It's the broad one-size fits all approach that often makes the EPA ineffective.

Quote:The issues aren't so black and white unfortunately. For example, I defend people's right to bear arms, but I would like to see the loophole closed that allows any felon to buy guns at gun shows. Saying that to some people is "taking away their guns" which is just silly. I think we already are spending enough money on the military and feel sliding a billion of that budget to education which some, for some reason don't view as a wise investment in America. Saying that to some means we will have a weak military. By comparison, the next closest three militaries in the world combined would still be like Bowling Green trying to beat Alabama in football. I have very liberal views on personal freedoms and very conservative views on fiscal responsibility, yet the Libertarian model as I have seen it does not apply to me. Even though I am thoroughly fed up with the two party system.

The loophole at gun shows has nothing to do with felons. It's still illegal for felons to buy guns at gun shows. However the 3 day waiting period and background check are not required when a private citizen is selling a gun to another private citizen.

As for the defense budget I absolutely agree we spend way to much on the military and there is colossal waste in their budget. As a Libertarian however I'd advocate returning that money to the tax payer instead of shifting it to another federal bureaucracy. Libertarians support school choice and most would like to see the federal department of education abolished all together.

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014, 09:23 AM by Kotite.)

Yeah.. the DOE has been defunded every year I have been alive. Doing away with a department you are setting up to fail doesn't sit well with me. Let's be honest. The average American is dumb enough. Maybe give them some of the tools to succeed before you scrap them.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Yeah.. the DOE has been defunded every year I have been alive. Doing away with a department you are setting up to fail doesn't sit well with me. Let's be honest. The average American is dumb enough. Maybe give them some of the tools to succeed before you scrap them.

Or run schools at the local and state level, as they were meant to be.

The best thing about State's Rights is the requirement for State's Responsibilities. Let the Federal government pave roads and defend our borders, let the states educate and legislate.
Signature goes here.

Honestly, sometimes I feel like there's not a political party for me.  I tend to vote Libertarian, but there's many things I disagree with all parties on.  Issues I consider important.  Maybe I'm just weird.  I do feel that there should be more political parties.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Libertarians support local legislation fighting pollution at the state level rather than the federal level. It's the broad one-size fits all approach that often makes the EPA ineffective.

What about when someone in one state pollutes another state?   For example, air pollution from Georgia drifts into Florida, or water pollution from Mississippi flows into Louisiana?  

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014, 11:14 AM by hailtoyourvictor.)

How do Libertarians feel about business owners not allowing people into their establishment? If a restaurant owner wants no blacks or gays on at their restaurant, they have the personal right to hang signs like this, right?

[Image: whites-only.png]

Quote:How do Libertarians feel about business owners not allowing people into their establishment? If a restaurant owner wants no blacks or gays on at their restaurant, they have the personal right to hang signs like this, right?

[Image: whites-only.png]

If said business owner is willing to face the ensuing backlash, he should have a right to serve whoever the heck he wants.
Signature goes here.

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014, 11:22 AM by hailtoyourvictor.)

How do Libertarians feel about sex laws? People should have their personal right to have sex with a goat, right? Who is government to tell them what they can't do.

Quote:If said business owner is willing to face the ensuing backlash, he should have a right to serve whoever the heck he wants.

So your answer is yes? Business owners should be allowed to deny service to blacks based on the color of their skin? ......Neat.

Quote:So your answer is yes? Business owners should be allowed to deny service to blacks based on the color of their skin? ......Neat.
Just call them gay, slap a religious freedom claim on there and you're A-OK!

Quote:Just call them gay, slap a religious freedom claim on there and you're A-OK!

Cute....I see you're referring to the wedding cake story from several years ago.