Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Libertarian

Quote:That's the point. The animal can't consent meaning it can't be legal.

Oh what next, you going to say that relations with a sweet little Japanese Painted Fern is illegal too?

Scoff!

{Don't listen to them, honey}

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Eric, I grew up in a town with two black kids and they were brothers. Do you really think that every business in town that didn't serve those two kids would go out of business?

...aaaand this is a very good point, too. 

All this talk about libertarians.  What does someone who works in a library have to do with politics?

Quote:I don't believe in the whole anarcho-capitalism sect of libertarians (not all libertarians think this way obviously), that thinks businesses should do as they please, and public services should be privately controlled, but I do think they have it right on personal liberties.     

Then you're not a libertarian, you're a liberal. 

Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

Quote:A free market works the same as a game of Monopoly; everyone starts out the same but soon one player gains an advantage is able to exploit that to remove the other players from the game. Every game ends up with the final player holding a complete monopoly over the once free market, their wealth and power is completely unchallenged and they can effectively do as they please. 

Free market in the real world end up the same; a true free market will always result in a monopoly. 

Except in the game of monopoly, you are limited to 28 properties.  That's a limited supply.  

The only way a Monopoly can exist is if a company provides a product at a price that competitors would be unable to reduce and still make profit, and even then they can simply improve the product to make it more valuable.  New advantages will be found.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Oh what next, you going to say that relations with a sweet little Japanese Painted Fern is illegal too?

Scoff!

{Don't listen to them, honey}

Don't ask don't tell....
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Don't ask don't tell....

I didn't!  How did you guys find out??

Quote:Eric, I'm going to assume you've never taken an economics class if you think a true free market would be successful. It's good in theory but applied to the real world is not feasible. We don't live in a world of unicorns and fairy Godmothers.

Sure I have me and you just disagree on the application of a true free market. We've seen what the regulated market leads to, insider trading, powerful politicians, and a big intrusive government, I'm ready for an alternative.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014, 04:27 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:I didn't!  How did you guys find out??

It's all over your face.

I mean it's written all over your face.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:All this talk about libertarians.  What does someone who works in a library have to do with politics?

Who are you, Emily Latella?

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Except in the game of monopoly, you are limited to 28 properties.  That's a limited supply.  

The only way a Monopoly can exist is if a company provides a product at a price that competitors would be unable to reduce and still make profit, and even then they can simply improve the product to make it more valuable.  New advantages will be found.
Carnegie and Rockefeller beg to differ. They held practical monopolies over the oil and steel industries, simply buying out, driving out and/or destroying any form of competition in in those sectors. It wasn't until the government stepped in that things changed. 

Quote:Who are you, Emily Latella?

Never mind!

Quote:Don't ask don't tell....

You can ask.

Please, ask.

Quote:Carnegie and Rockefeller beg to differ. They held practical monopolies over the oil and steel industries, simply buying out, driving out and/or destroying any form of competition in in those sectors. It wasn't until the government stepped in that things changed. 

I'm not sure how you can say they 'beg to differ'.  Just because it wasn't until the government stepped in (to protect less efficient businesses btw) doesn't mean that the free market wouldn't have prevented a monopoly as well.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:A free market works the same as a game of Monopoly; everyone starts out the same but soon one player gains an advantage is able to exploit that to remove the other players from the game. Every game ends up with the final player holding a complete monopoly over the once free market, their wealth and power is completely unchallenged and they can effectively do as they please. 

Free market in the real world end up the same; a true free market will always result in a monopoly. 

Regulation is simply governments monopoly on a free market. So by that definition there is always a monopoly.

In a true free market you would have more private "small business" the modern day corporate monopolies only exist by the means of federal exceptions to tax laws, health care laws, and so on, if they where forced to play by the same rules as the "little guy" there wouldn't be as many mega monopolies.

Quote:You can ask.

Please, ask.

I don't wanna know about you and your geisha plants naught naught times!! Tongue
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Regulation is simply governments monopoly on a free market. So by that definition there is always a monopoly.

In a true free market you would have more private "small business" the modern day corporate monopolies only exist by the means of federal exceptions to tax laws, health care laws, and so on, if they where forced to play by the same rules as the "little guy" there wouldn't be as many mega monopolies.

What exactly are you getting at here?

Quote:What exactly are you getting at here?

The argument is that we need regulation to prevent monopolies, I'm pointing out that monopolies exist with and without regulation. That in fact under the current system of heavy regulation you have a monopoly over private business in the form of government regulation. You can't compete with government, and it's become near impossible to change government.

with private monopolies you could at least to compete against them, good luck competing against a federal government.

Quote:The argument is that we need regulation to prevent monopolies, I'm pointing out that monopolies exist with and without regulation. That in fact under the current system of heavy regulation you have a monopoly over private business in the form of government regulation. You can't compete with government, and it's become near impossible to change government.

with private monopolies you could at least to compete against them, good luck competing against a federal government.

You seem to the characterizing the government as a participant.  The way I see it, they act as a referee, not a player.  

Quote:You seem to the characterizing the government as a participant.  The way I see it, they act as a referee, not a player.  

Government is very much a participant, heck government in its current form is the main player in most markets and the only player in many markets such as Education for one.