Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Planning a trip to the US West Coast

So with having a proper full time job now and thus having the funds to actually go on a proper vacation as well I've been looking into the another US/NFL trip and I've kind of zeroed in on the San Diego game followed by the Pittsburgh game in Jacksonville. First plan was to drive from San Diego to Jacksonville but on second thought driving through the flyover states isn't as interesting as sticking to the West Coast and then flying to Jacksonville. But I need a few suggestions/ideas on planning my trip, here's what I got so far:

Places I definitely want to visit:

Grand Canyon

San Francisco

Places I want to visit but can drop if it doesn't fit:

Los Angeles

San Diego (outside of the game)

Las Vegas

California State Route 1 (the coastal highway that snakes up the Pacific coastline)

Plan right now is to go to the game in San Diego, drive to the Grand Canyon straight afterwards (like from parking lot to Arizona/Nevada), then Las Vegas, San Fran, up the coast to whatever airport takes me to Jacksonville directly, probably Portland or Seattle though Seattle might be one city too far. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

How long is your vacation time?

Driving from Cali to Florida would take at least 3 days and you wouldn't have much time to stop and see things.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:How long is your vacation time?

Driving from Cali to Florida would take at least 3 days and you wouldn't have much time to stop and see things.
Yeah, that's why I'm not doing that. In the current plan I arrive in San Diego on Saturday, game on Sunday then drive straight to Grand Canyon. Spend the week driving up the West Coast, then fly to JAX on Saturday, game on Sunday, fly back on Monday or Tuesday.

If money will allow I might fly back on Friday or Saturday after the second game after driving down to Miami and the Keys as well. 

I think you'll enjoy the coastal hwy. why not fly in somewhere further north, then drive down the coastal hwy headed towards San Diego catch the game drive to the Grand Canyon then fly over to see the game in Jacksonville. If it were me I'd skip San fransciso. But that is just me.

There aren't many Asian school girls in the keys. And if you find some they may actually be guys. Just a heads up. Unless... Of course your into that...

Oh, you may want to stop by this small town in Oklahoma. I think it's called Jefferson or something. They've got the worlds largest Asian school girl museum/petting zoo.

While you're in Oklahoma, swing by and kick Justin Blackmon in the nuts for us.

Quote:I think you'll enjoy the coastal hwy. why not fly in somewhere further north, then drive down the coastal hwy headed towards San Diego catch the game drive to the Grand Canyon then fly over to see the game in Jacksonville. If it were me I'd skip San fransciso. But that is just me.
In short; money issues. Your plan would require two full weeks, whereas I can only really afford a week and a half. 

Also; I can book my international flight easily with Dutch website but what's a decent site to book my flight from the West Coast to Jacksonville?

Quote:In short; money issues. Your plan would require two full weeks, whereas I can only really afford a week and a half.
Whatever you do go see the Grand Canyon. That's a must. Other than that, plan everything out. That's a short period of time to see west coast and east coast plus catch a couple games. It's certainly doable. But you'll have to keep a tight schedule, which could put a damper on enjoying your time off.

DF, I'd suggest going to the SD game, driving up highway 1 along the Central Coast to SF, fly to Vegas, see the Grand Canyon, fly out of Vegas to JAX.

SFO->LAS is about $63 and LAS->JAX is about $175. That also hits every city and route on your list. Bingo Bango Bongo.

Quote:DF, I'd suggest going to the SD game, driving up highway 1 along the Central Coast to SF, fly to Vegas, see the Grand Canyon, fly out of Vegas to JAX.

SFO->LAS is about $63 and LAS->JAX is about $175. That also hits every city and route on your list. Bingo Bango Bongo.

^^ the man in Cali would know best

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

The California coast is remarkable, especially if you pass through Big Sur. Make sure you include that, you won't be sorry.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:DF, I'd suggest going to the SD game, driving up highway 1 along the Central Coast to SF, fly to Vegas, see the Grand Canyon, fly out of Vegas to JAX.

He's gonna be out your way...maybe he'll massage your bunches!! Wink
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

You're suggesting DF drive???

...I'm not sure thats a good idea. :whistling: 

Quote:The California coast is remarkable, especially if you pass through Big Sur. Make sure you include that, you won't be sorry.

Agreed. If choosing between the central coast and the northern coast along HWY 1, I'd choose the former. Although I do love the scenery of Southern Oregon. Beautiful time of the year for either really.

If you are going to see the Grand Canyon (the good part of it) that is a pretty good drive from San Diego.  We drove from Vegas to San Diego and it took a while.  To get from Vegas to the Grand Canyon was about an hour, but thats apparently the boring part of it.  Its 4-6 hours to the good part of the canyon from Vegas.  To do that and then get back to the northern part of California would take a while, especially to get any good sight seeing in.

We stayed a few days in Vegas, a couple days in San Diego, and about a week in LA.  LA was fun, but i wouldnt spend more than two days there.  I was working the Espy's so that took some time.  I would also not suggest looking the guy thats high on something directly in the eye.  He will try to fight you...even if you're twice his size.  Just make sure there is an Old Navy to dip into.

OK, so new plan:

Saturday: Arrive in San Diego and see whatever the city has to offer.

Sunday: Gameday, drive to Santa Barbara straight after game, skip LA.

Monday: Sight seeing in Santa Barbara, drive to Big Sur (have to check what part I want to see before committing)

Tuesday: More of Big Sur. Drive to San Fran in the evening.

Wednesday: Sight seeing in San Fran.

Thursday: Fly to Vegas, spent evening gambling and drinking irresponsibly.

Friday: Grand Canyon day.

Saturday: Fly to Jacksonville.

Sunday: Gameday.

Monday: Die from sleep deprivation.

Quote:OK, so new plan:

Monday: Sight seeing in Santa Barbara, drive to Big Sur (have to check what part I want to see before committing)

Just hire cabs this time.  No rental cars.  The light poles will thank you. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:OK, so new plan:

Look into the side of the Grand Canyon close to Vegas.  I know they have a glass bottomed thing you can walk out onto over the Canyon on an indian reserve.  From what I've heard its expensive and not worth it. 

We are going to take a week vacation at some point in the next few years to see the Eastern portion of the Canyon.   We've heard its better.  I'm not saying dont try the western side, but I'd be interested in what you had to say about it.