Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Planning a trip to the US West Coast

Quote:No need for books on tape. Just get the hardbacks. I saw an infomercial for this suction thingy he can use and mount it on the windshield. It's totally safe because your hands free. Especially if your a slow reader like me. However, your your a really fast speed reader that's when it starts to get dangerous constantly taking your hand off the wheel to turn the page.

I know! Idiot page turners are constant menace on the roads. Smaller print and larger pages, people! It's not rocket science.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I know! Idiot page turners are constant menace on the roads. Smaller print and larger pages, people! It's not rocket science.

Or rocket reading. Right guys...?

Quote:I have family in Palm Springs. Would always recommend the Grand Canyon. I do a flight to Vegas, spend a night, go to the Grand Canyon for a day and then drive to South California. It's alot of driving but you see some great sites.

Also, the drive from LA to San Francisco is a heck of a drive. Bring some good books on tape.

"Books on tape"

Showing your age there.

Quote:Hey...why'd it have to be a blonde moment???? :angry:

Well, if you have to ask, you could be having one Big Grin :whistling: :woot: 

Just messin', bunnie 

Getting back on topic; since the thought of having to book 10 hotels separately for 1 night each was making me go cross eyed I checked in with a travel agency that does extended car trips in America and they had some rather nice tips.

New plan is to fly to Las Vegas on Thursday. See Grand Canyon on Friday, travel to SD on Saturday, game on Sunday. Then Monday to Friday is busy with driving to and staying in San Fran. Saturday fly to Jacksonville with another game on Sunday. Fly back on Monday or Tuesday.

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2014, 11:10 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Getting back on topic; since the thought of having to book 10 hotels separately for 1 night each was making me go cross eyed I checked in with a travel agency that does extended car trips
 in America and they had some rather nice tips.

New plan is to fly to Las Vegas on Thursday. See Grand Canyon on Friday, travel to SD on Saturday, game on Sunday. Then Monday to Friday is busy with driving
 to and staying in San Fran. Saturday fly to Jacksonville with another game on Sunday. Fly back on Monday or Tuesday.

Are you purposely trying to bait us with this??? :woot:

Quote:Are you purposely trying to bait us with this??? :woot:
I don't know what you're talking about, I have never crashed a single car when driving forward.

Quote:Just again saw the movie. You can't go wrong with Roman Polanski and Jack Nicholson..

As Two Jakes proved, remove Roman Polanski from the equation and the quality suffers.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:I don't know what you're talking about, I have never crashed a single car when driving forward.

That was your only accident ever?

Quote:That was your only accident ever?

Yes.

Quote:Yes.

Wow.....talk about some bad luck, haha 

Quote:Getting back on topic; since the thought of having to book 10 hotels separately for 1 night each was making me go cross eyed I checked in with a travel agency that does extended car trips in America and they had some rather nice tips.

New plan is to fly to Las Vegas on Thursday. See Grand Canyon on Friday, travel to SD on Saturday, game on Sunday. Then Monday to Friday is busy with driving to and staying in San Fran. Saturday fly to Jacksonville with another game on Sunday. Fly back on Monday or Tuesday.

10 hotels in 10 nights is easy.   Just get up each morning, pick your destination, go on Expedia or some similar website, and find a hotel for that night.  It takes about 5 minutes to do that.   You don't have to have them all set up in advance. 

Question: how do you guys read hotel reviews on sites like Trip Advisor?

The lady at the travel agency has put together a nice list of stopovers and I'm checking them out right now. First one has almost all 4 or 5 star reviews so that's nice. Another is 70-80% bad reviews so I'll probably change that but I also have one with an almost perfect distribution of good and bad. It's a Super 8 so I'm not expecting much but I would like to be able to filter the reliable reviews from the fake or useless reviews. 

Quote:Question: how do you guys read hotel reviews on sites like Trip Advisor?

The lady at the travel agency has put together a nice list of stopovers and I'm checking them out right now. First one has almost all 4 or 5 star reviews so that's nice. Another is 70-80% bad reviews so I'll probably change that but I also have one with an almost perfect distribution of good and bad. It's a Super 8 so I'm not expecting much but I would like to be able to filter the reliable reviews from the fake or useless reviews. 

I didn't know travel agents still exist.   I thought everyone used something like Expedia. 

I am very careful of hotel reviews.  I almost always disregard 5-star reviews.  I think a lot of them are fake.  I try to read the bad reviews.  Those are more informative.   But sometimes the bad reviews are just people making some ridiculous complaint.   On the other hand, if you get multiple bad reviews, all saying the same thing, then you can tell there's an element of truth there.   I look for stuff like "I wouldn't stay there again because this was a very bad neighborhood and I didn't feel safe."  Or "There were stains on the sheets and the wallpaper was peeling."   Stuff like that. 

Expedia claims that their reviews are from people who they can verify have stayed at the hotel in question.  

I don't get all this attention to hotels while traveling alone.  Just travel until you get where you want to go and get a hotel.  You just need it for a few hours of sleep and a shower.  

Quote:I don't get all this attention to hotels while traveling alone.  Just travel until you get where you want to go and get a hotel.  You just need it for a few hours of sleep and a shower.  
It's mostly about avoiding the absolute dives and junk hotels. The ones where you never truly sleep alone. 

Quote:It's mostly about avoiding the absolute dives and junk hotels. The ones where you never truly sleep alone. 

Stick to the reputable chain hotels and you can't go wrong.  

Quote:Question: how do you guys read hotel reviews on sites like Trip Advisor?

I like to use Oyster but Trip Advisor isn't bad either. Like Marty said, I usually skim for common bad reviews because I'm usually only worried about major negatives rather than slight positives. That being said, I'm pretty familiar with Morro, Cayoucos, Cambria so if you stop/need info on that section don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:Stick to the reputable chain hotels and you can't go wrong.

You mentioned you have a budget so I'd agree with HB. Major chains in the $100/night range will be perfectly clean and safe.

Quote:You mentioned you have a budget so I'd agree with HB. Major chains in the $100/night range will be perfectly clean and safe.

I've never had a bad experience at a Comfort Inn.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???