Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
New York Giants hire David Tyree who is against Gay Marriage

So long as his personal views don't interfere with his job, there shouldn't be a problem. Though I could see some people making it out to be one.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I agree.

I will give him about 3 months before he has to tote the Big Blue company line.

People who are Giants fans who support Gay marriage care, hence the "outrage".

It's being dug up to trash the Giants for their hire.

The reason I'm cautiously optimistic that David Tyree won't have to tote the Big Blue company line is that John Mara is the Giants co-owner.   When it comes to NFL owners that have common sense and do the right thing,   John Mara is at or near the top of the list.  

Quote:If true, it straddles the line between having an opinion and being an ignorant...ummm...punk, but it still doesn't answer the question of why holding an unpopular opinion would disqualify someone from holding a job within a private organization.
It's still just an opinion regardless.  No matter how misguided it may be, if people want him fired for what he thinks, where do we draw the line? 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:It's still just an opinion regardless.  No matter how misguided it may be, if people want him fired for what he thinks, where do we draw the line? 
IMO, you don't. Employers aren't thought police. Refusing to hire a guy because he's outspoken against the homosexual community is just as likely to draw a lawsuit as refusing to hire someone who's gay is. As pathetic as it is, the right answer in this day and age is to hire the best person for the job, then fire them when they inevitably open their mouth.

Quote:It's still just an opinion regardless. No matter how misguided it may be, if people want him fired for what he thinks, where do we draw the line?

That is a great question. If he was a white person and openly spoke against rights for black people, should that effect whether he should get a job or not? It's an interesting debate. There is a line. The question is where should it be drawn?

Quote:Just playing devils advocate, but shouldn't it be the same way for someone who feels the opposite?  There are a lot of outspoken players for gay marriage, but nobody worries if they are offending anyone.

Well...uhmmm, ...eerrrrr, uhhhh,.... thats because that doesn't matter. 

(This post was last modified: 07-24-2014, 02:33 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Pretty much this.  It is okay to disagree, but you still need to be respectful and that goes for both sides.

Quote: 

On the other side, I get annoyed when people think someone is using hate speech when they simply don't agree with gay marriage.  

Holy crap!!! I just fell off my chair. 

You obviously aren't a "true" liberal. 

But kudos, if the above is truly how you are and not just a facade. 

Thats how I see it too. Most of my ire on the homosexual topic comes from the point of view from a certain sect that "if you are "pro-traditional family"/ "traditional marriage", that you are a "hater" and using "hate speech". Remember the flack the guy from Chick Fil-A received for merely expressing his "pro traditional marriage" views???

Its crap. They do it intentionally as a thought-bullying tactic. 

Quote:Holy crap!!! I just fell off my chair. 

Thats how I see it too. Most of my ire on the homosexual topic comes from the point of view from a certain sect that "if you are pro-traditional family"/ "traditional marriage", that you are a "hater" and using "hate speech". 

I'm going to bet its how he really feels.  I don't think he's the type of person to come on a message board and lie like certain people here would.

ummmm, errrr, you.

Quote:I'm going to bet its how he really feels.  I don't think he's the type of person to come on a message board and lie like certain people here would.

ummmm, errrr, you.

If it is how he truly feels, I give him credit. Actions speak louder than words though. He could be saying one thing here and in reality not follow up/ apply those thoughts in real life world. None of us really know him so to "100%" assume that that is how he really feels is kinda silly/ naive. But, thanks for the slander at the end of the post, anyway. Not sure what I supposedly "lie" about.

Quote:Holy crap!!! I just fell off my chair.

Thats how I see it too. Most of my ire on the homosexual topic comes from the point of view from a certain sect that "if you are "pro-traditional family"/ "traditional marriage", that you are a "hater" and using "hate speech". Remember the flack the guy from Chick Fil-A received for merely expressing his "pro traditional marriage" views???

If you had to pigeon hole me then I'm more libertarian then anything else.

Quote:If you had to pigeon hole me then I'm more libertarian then anything else.

There seems to be a few who claim to be libertarian on this board...

I never met one who admitted so before this, so thats interesting. Maybe its a trend. 

I'm not very familiar with libertarian views. Is it supposed to be somewhere in the middle of conservative/ liberal? 

Quote:There seems to be a few who claim to be libertarian on this board...

I never met one who admitted so before this, so thats interesting. Maybe its a trend. 

I'm not very familiar with libertarian views. Is it supposed to be somewhere in the middle of conservative/ liberal? 

It would be more correct to say libertarian represents a further right position on most things without the concern for "moral" social issues that traditional right-wingers have.

So think anti big government pro tax cuts anti regulation without the intense thirst for abolishing birth control.

Quote:There seems to be a few who claim to be libertarian on this board...

I also vote libertarian.

(This post was last modified: 07-24-2014, 05:55 PM by jtmoney.)

Quote:If it is how he truly feels, I give him credit. Actions speak louder than words though. He could be saying one thing here and in reality not follow up/ apply those thoughts in real life world. None of us really know him so to "100%" assume that that is how he really feels is kinda silly/ naive. But, thanks for the slander at the end of the post, anyway. Not sure what I supposedly "lie" about.

I'm not sure what I have to gain telling people I don't know lies about how I think on a specific topic. I always try to look at things from other people's perspective even if I don't agree with that perspective.

Quote:It would be more correct to say libertarian represents a further right position on most things without the concern for "moral" social issues that traditional right-wingers have.

So think anti big government pro tax cuts anti regulation without the intense thirst for abolishing birth control.

Exactly.

Liberterian a "trend"... lol.

It's been around for quite some time.

It's what I probably most closely identify with as well.

I've found that The World's Smallest Political Quiz explains it quite succinctly.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

If the giants are stupid enough to discriminate against good players they will all lose their jobs in the end.

I suppose it doesn't help matters that Tyree spoke at a function for NOM which is classified as a hate group by SPLC.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:I suppose it doesn't help matters that Tyree spoke at a function for NOM which is classified as a hate group by SPLC.

As a supporter of NOM,  I consider SPLC a hate group.  

Quote:As a supporter of NOM,  I consider SPLC a hate group.  

OK - for the rest of us - what is NOM and SPLC?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.