Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tony Dungy would not have drafted Michael Sam

Let me first say that I am glad Michael Sam is in the league.  I will watch him and I hope he does really well.....but, I can see where Dungy is coming from.  Everyone talked about the Tebow hype machine and how much media and pressure were all around the team on whichever team he was on.  Sam will bring a similar media attention. 

The correlation between the media attention to Tebow is almost the same.  Broncos/Jets/Pats players had to constantly answer questions about a guy they couldn't control.  The Rams players will have to do the same thing. 

What if an incident happens and Michael Sam speaks out about harassment?  Your team will have that shadow forever cast around them.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foot...ill-happen

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The media attention didn't stop the Broncos from drafting Tebow so why would it stop other teams from drafting Michael Sam?

Quote:The media attention didn't stop the Broncos from drafting Tebow so why would it stop other teams from drafting Michael Sam?

It also didnt stop the Rams from drafting Michael Sam.

The media attention stopped teams from wanting Tebow.  They learned.

I agree with the article. Disappointing hearing this from Dungy. It would have been one thing to say that he wouldn't be willing to draft him because he doesn't think he can play (which is a legit enough question for Sam in the NFL, especially in regards to what position he'd play.

The Nets signed Jason Collins to their active roster, and aside from the 1st week that he was there, he was really a non-story for that team...and that team is in NY, not St. Louis.

Probably the same thing alot of baseball managers said about Jackie Robinson back in the 40's.

Quote:Probably the same thing alot of baseball managers said about Jackie Robinson back in the 40's.

Very true.  It only took one person to draft him.  I actually thought that at this point a few more players may have come out with all this going on.

So, when will the LBGT mafia set their sights on Dungy and demand he's fired from NBC?  Count on it happening. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:The media attention didn't stop the Broncos from drafting Tebow so why would it stop other teams from drafting Michael Sam?

It didn't stop the Broncos, that doesn't mean it didn't stop other teams. The Broncos may have been the only team willing to deal with the attention. 

Quote:I agree with the article. Disappointing hearing this from Dungy. It would have been one thing to say that he wouldn't be willing to draft him because he doesn't think he can play (which is a legit enough question for Sam in the NFL, especially in regards to what position he'd play.

The Nets signed Jason Collins to their active roster, and aside from the 1st week that he was there, he was really a non-story for that team...and that team is in NY, not St. Louis.

I imagine that Sam's attention will die down much like it did for Collins. 

Either way, it's possible that Dungy doesn't believe Sam's potential or expected level of performance justifies the negative attention he may bring. It isn't as though Sam is a world-beater. If this were a Clowney-level talent, I don't think anyone would even discuss the attention. When it's a mediocre player (like Sam), then it should be a consideration. These may be professionals, but they're still people and drama may fracture a locker room.

Quote:Either way, it's possible that Dungy doesn't believe Sam's potential or expected level of performance justifies the negative attention he may bring. It isn't as though Sam is a world-beater. If this were a Clowney-level talent, I don't think anyone would even discuss the attention. When it's a mediocre player (like Sam), then it should be a consideration. These may be professionals, but they're still people and drama may fracture a locker room.

But that's not what Dungy said.

Quote:But that's not what Dungy said.

He didn't say it wasn't that, either.

Quote:He didn't say it wasn't that, either.

It doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

He shouldn't have said what he said.

NBC will force him to apologize.

Quote:It doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

He shouldn't have said what he said.

NBC will force him to apologize.

It doesn't take a genius to figure what out? He said that Sam had every right to play in the NFL, and his choice not to pick him didn't have to do with disagreeing with his choices. 

You assuming anything at all is entirely unfounded. 

I agree that NBC will make him apologize.

Come on guys Dungy CANT be a homophobe he coached Manning for how long!
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

It may be worth noting for the conversation that Coach Dungy is an Evangelical Christian.

When I remembered this about him it made me question does he feel this way about Sam being a distraction purely from a running a football team standpoint or does he feel this way more so because of his religious convictions? 

# EVEN IF HE'S RELEASED

I disagree with Coach Dungy but I don't fault him in any way for having that opinion.  It's only that, an opinion and he's allowed to have it.  I also disagree that NBC should make him apologize.  We as a society have become overly sensitive and I see zero reason for the need to apologize for what was said.  He's hardly alone in that opinion I'm sure, he just chose to put it out there.  

All will be fine, Sam will hopefully be judged by his on field play (from the Rams standpoint) and he should be treated as any other player in terms of being on the roster.  I've seen some say it will be almost impossible for the Rams to cut him...why?  If he isn't good enough, then he isn't good enough.  There will be plenty of people that want a story if he's cut but that will die down just as the attention focused on him will.  Either way I wish the best for him and hope he has a long career in the league.

Quote:It may be worth noting for the conversation that Coach Dungy is an Evangelical Christian.

When I remembered this about him it made me question does he feel this way about Sam being a distraction purely from a running a football team standpoint or does he feel this way more so because of his religious convictions? 

Gee...I'll give you one guess.

Quote:I disagree with Coach Dungy but I don't fault him in any way for having that opinion.  It's only that, an opinion and he's allowed to have it.  I also disagree that NBC should make him apologize.  We as a society have become overly sensitive and I see zero reason for the need to apologize for what was said.  He's hardly alone in that opinion I'm sure, he just chose to put it out there.  

All will be fine, Sam will hopefully be judged by his on field play (from the Rams standpoint) and he should be treated as any other player in terms of being on the roster.  I've seen some say it will be almost impossible for the Rams to cut him...why?  If he isn't good enough, then he isn't good enough.  There will be plenty of people that want a story if he's cut but that will die down just as the attention focused on him will.  Either way I wish the best for him and hope he has a long career in the league.

What if it was a retired coach/TV analyst who said he wouldn't have drafted a black QB because of his skin color. It's only an opinion and he's allowed to have it. Right?

We as a society have become overly sensitive and I see zero reason for the need to apologize for what was said.  He's hardly alone in that opinion I'm sure, he just chose to put it out there. Right?

Quote:What if it was a retired coach/TV analyst who said he wouldn't have drafted a black QB because of his skin color. It's only an opinion and he's allowed to have it. Right?

We as a society have become overly sensitive and I see zero reason for the need to apologize for what was said.  He's hardly alone in that opinion I'm sure, he just chose to put it out there. Right?

Did Coach Dungy say he wouldn't take Sam because of his sexuality?  

I think I need to read the article.

I took it as he wouldn't want Sam on his roster because of the circus and attention that would follow him.  Much like Tebow.  The circus or "hoopla" would too much to and too big of a distraction.  I can certainly see that point of view. I'm not saying that it's right (I actually think Dungy is wrong) but I don't have a problem with him voicing that opinion.  

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2014, 09:58 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

Quote:What if it was a retired coach/TV analyst who said he wouldn't have drafted a black QB because of his skin color. It's only an opinion and he's allowed to have it. Right?

He didn't say Dungy was free to say anything without consequence. Since Dungy represents the organization at the frontline, he should absolutely be held accountable for anything he may say. I don't believe, however, that Dungy said anything worthy of an apology. I assure you that there are people that get offended by even the most politically correct phrases. Should we apologize when anyone gets offended? Dungy has a different opinion, and you (and others) were never promised a life without being offended. 

Dungy never said his unwillingness to pick Sam for a team was based on his sexuality. Dungy, in fact, said that Sam had a right to play in the NFL.

Quote:It may be worth noting for the conversation that Coach Dungy is an Evangelical Christian.

I think there are two issues Dungy is dealing with. One you mentioned - Dungy being a Evangelical Christian. He's made his feelings known about certain aspects of players and coaches that he doesn't like (cursing, etc.). I have to wonder if his religious convictions are coloring his view of Sam.

And Dungy was a football coach. Football coaches are notorious for being control freaks and risk averse. Why have to deal with the hassle if you don't have to? Like Hard Knocks. Now, for a game changer, maybe. Dungy has spoken favorably about J. Manziel, at least as a football player. Michael Sam is not seen as a game changer.

I'd be surprised if NBC tries to have Dungy apologize. Everybody loves Tony.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.