Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tony Dungy would not have drafted Michael Sam

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2014, 12:33 AM by Redsky39.)

Here comes the thought police.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The land of free speech unless you disagree with what was said.....

My interpretation of the article is that he wouldn't have wanted to deal with the media circus which I can understand coming from the perspective of a head football coach. His choice of words ,"things will happen", could have been better and could be easily misinterpreted, but I don't think it is enough to require an apology. If anything, he should clarify what he meant by "things will happen" so that there is no misinterpretation. Not every perceived sleight is actually a sleight and as such not every perceived sleight should warrant an apology.

Quote:The land of free speech unless you disagree with what was said.....

I don't think you understand the definition of freedom of speech.

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2014, 08:02 AM by JagsFan1.)

I don't agree with Dungy on his reasoning for not wanting Sam. Only way i wouldn't draft him is if I thought he couldn't play ball, But I don't have a problem with what he said. He just said that he couldn't have dealt with it. Maybe he's just not strong enough to handle all the attention that comes with having the first openly gay player on your team. What's the beef? And Can we stop comparing the LGBT community to the African American community. It's not the same. Never has and never will be the same.

Quote:I don't agree with Dungy on his reasoning for not wanting Sam. Only way i wouldn't draft him is if I thought he couldn't play ball, But I don't have a problem with what he said. He just said that he couldn't have dealt with it. Maybe he's just not strong enough to handle all the attention that comes with having the first openly gay player on your team. What's the beef? And Can we stop comparing the LGBT community to the African American community. It's not the same. Never has and never will be the same.

He's being a hypocrite for one.

He was one of Michael Vick's most vocal supporters in his return to the NFL.

He was also a mentor and advocate for Plaxico Burress.

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2014, 10:51 AM by JagsFan1.)

Quote:He's being a hypocrite for one.

He was one of Michael Vick's most vocal supporters in his return to the NFL.

He was also a mentor and advocate for Plaxico Burress.
I still don't see a reason to be upset by his comments. He just admitted as a coach he wouldn't be able to handle it. Maybe he felt he could handle the other two situations but not this one. This is a very sensitive subject. Do I feel the same way? No. As long as he's good I could give a crap. When it comes to his stance and support to Vick and Plax IMO not the same but I'm not gonna go to deep in that. Don't want PETA and the self righteous police to get me lol.

I don't agree with him but I agree he shouldn't have to apologize.

No one should care that Michael Sam is gay. No one should care that whoever is gay, or black, or anything.

No one goes to your house and questions you for adopting a black cat vs a white cat.

Society is too sensitive and society needs to realize we are smarter than we were hundreds of years ago. We're all the same on the inside.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:I still don't see a reason to be upset by his comments. He just admitted as a coach he wouldn't be able to handle it. Maybe he felt he could handle the other two situations but not this one. This is a very sensitive subject. Do I feel the same way? No. As long as he's good I could give a crap. When it comes to his stance and support to Vick and Plax IMO not the same but I'm not gonna go to deep in that. Don't want PETA and the self righteous police to get me lol.

It has nothing to do with "self righteous police", whatever that's supposed to mean.

It's about encouraging teams to take on the Michael Vick distraction but saying he wouldn't want to deal with the Michael Sam distraction.

Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

I wouldn't have drafted Michael Sam either.

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

Quote:I wouldn't have drafted Michael Sam either.
Why?

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:Why?

Tweener who isn't a good fit on the roster. Plus the circus.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:It has nothing to do with "self righteous police", whatever that's supposed to mean.

It's about encouraging teams to take on the Michael Vick distraction but saying he wouldn't want to deal with the Michael Sam distraction.

Plax situation is not the same. I could see Vick because of all the animal rights groups. My point was he probably feels he could have dealt with the Vick & Plax situation, But not Sam.   As humans we know what we can and can not handle. And if he feels he dosent have the strength to deal with it then whats to be upset about?

Quote:I don't think you understand the definition of freedom of speech.

To my knowledge, freedom of speech covers the right to have an opinion.

Quote:To my knowledge, freedom of speech covers the right to have an opinion.

Who is stopping Dungy from expressing his opinion?

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2014, 02:37 PM by Scarecrow.)

Quote:It has nothing to do with "self righteous police", whatever that's supposed to mean.

It isn't hypocritical at all. He simply said he didn't feel like he could handle the situation, for whatever reason. Obviously he felt he could handle Vick and Plax.

Which are two entirely different situations by the way. The only one you could compare to the circus and attention of Michael Sam would be Michael Vick. For what it's worth I wouldn't have taken Michael Vick but that has little to do with the dog fighting or the negative attention he would bring. Plax isn't even close.

I can imagine Tony Dungy isn't the only one league wise (retired or not) who felt Michael Sam the player and what he brings to the table from a talent standpoint would not be worth the attention and distraction.

Quote:Who is stopping Dungy from expressing his opinion?

Lol, you set the bait...he took it.

Quote:Who is stopping Dungy from expressing his opinion?

So you agree that Dungy should be able to express his opinion without repercussions?

Quote:So you agree that Dungy should be able to express his opinion without repercussions?

Freedom of speech does not necessarily protect one from repercussions.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:So you agree that Dungy should be able to express his opinion without repercussions?

That's what you think freedom of speech means?