Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tony Dungy would not have drafted Michael Sam

Quote:So you agree that Dungy should be able to express his opinion without repercussions?

The first amendment protects from abridgement of speech by the government.

Did the government stop him from expressing himself?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Freedom of speech does not necessarily protect one from repercussions.

I agree. See: Don Sterling.

I'm talking about what Dungy said. There are no grounds for which Dungy should face punishment, but some people think there is.

Quote:I agree. See: Don Sterling.

I'm talking about what Dungy said. There are no grounds for which Dungy should face punishment, but some people think there is.

Unless you are the President of NBC or Comcast, I don't think you really have any way of knowing that.

Quote:Lol, you set the bait...he took it.

Some people make it too easy.

Quote:Unless you are the President of NBC or Comcast, I don't think you really have any way of knowing that.

I guess we'll see if NBC or Comcast punishes Dungy. I'm thinking they don't.

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2014, 01:58 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:Here comes the thought police.

This.

Quote:I agree. See: Don Sterling.

Donald Sterling is allowed to say whatever he wants.  He just has to be ready for the reprocussions.  The government is not going after Donald Sterling, his employer is based on a contract he signed.

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2014, 02:24 PM by JagsFan1.)

Quote:It isn't hypocritical at all. He simpky said he didn't feel like he could handle the situation, for whatever reason. Obviously he felt he could handle Vick and Plax.

Which are two entirely different situations by the way. The only one you could compare to the circus and attention of Michael Sam would be Michael Vick. For what it's worth I wouldn't have taken Michael Vick but that has little to do with the dog fighting or the negative attention he would bring. Plax isn't even close.

I can imagine Tony Dungy isn't the only one league wise (retired or not) who felt Michael Sam the player and what he brings to the table from a talent standpoint would not be worth the attention and distraction.
Exactly. Someone gets it.

His clarification basically points out my main point.  At the time a possible reality show was going to follow him around, and that was beyond the mainstream coverage that would be focused on him.  I can understand why a coach that has to lead a group would think that distracts from the team.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/22/tony-du...m-comments

Quote:I guess we'll see if NBC or Comcast punishes Dungy. I'm thinking they don't.

Is that before or after he issues an apology and says he was taken out of context?

Quote:His clarification basically points out my main point.  At the time a possible reality show was going to follow him around, and that was beyond the mainstream coverage that would be focused on him.  I can understand why a coach that has to lead a group would think that distracts from the team.

That's how I see it, too.

Quote:His clarification basically points out my main point.  At the time a possible reality show was going to follow him around, and that was beyond the mainstream coverage that would be focused on him.  I can understand why a coach that has to lead a group would think that distracts from the team.

His logic is perfectly fine.  Unfortunately, it's not in synch with the politically correct mindset that permeates the media these days.  There will be backlash from the same thugs who attack anyone who doesn't promote a pro gay viewpoint.  People aren't' entitled to their opinions on the subject.  If they dare to express something that is even remotely out of the sheep think of the mainstream media, he'll be unfairly labeled a bigot or homophobe.  The very circus he would have been trying to avoid as a coach will eat him alive now.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

That is exactly what I've been trying to say.  Anyone that thinks the majority of the NFL decision makers didn't consider the distraction that was going to be brought with Sam when deciding whether or not to select him would be foolish.  What attention (good or bad) he brings with him should absolutely be weighed into the decision.  Everyone will weigh it differently but it matters.  He had a reality show lined up to follow him around for crying out loud.  We're not talking about a top 5 pick, he is a late round fringe roster type guy.  A guy that many struggle to find a true position for at the NFL level.  

He went to a good situation.  He has some good pass rushers to learn from and the chance to make the roster as a reserve/role player on a team with a solid overall pass rush.  I hope he does make it, I don't wish any draft pick to fail.  

Quote:His logic is perfectly fine.  Unfortunately, it's not in synch with the politically correct mindset that permeates the media these days.  There will be backlash from the same thugs who attack anyone who doesn't promote a pro gay viewpoint.  People aren't' entitled to their opinions on the subject.  If they dare to express something that is even remotely out of the sheep think of the mainstream media, he'll be unfairly labeled a bigot or homophobe.  The very circus he would have been trying to avoid as a coach will eat him alive now.

The NFL is prime bait for the media.  Anything that anyone does or says is up for discussion and ridicule.  Teams have to tread very lightly now a days and its a major reason Goodell has been so stern on handing out punishments.  He knows any blemish tot he brand will hurt.

Quote:His logic is perfectly fine.  Unfortunately, it's not in synch with the politically correct mindset that permeates the media these days.  There will be backlash from the same thugs who attack anyone who doesn't promote a pro gay viewpoint.  People aren't' entitled to their opinions on the subject.  If they dare to express something that is even remotely out of the sheep think of the mainstream media, he'll be unfairly labeled a bigot or homophobe.  The very circus he would have been trying to avoid as a coach will eat him alive now.

This was what I was trying to say earlier. Maybe "freedom of speech" was the wrong choice of words, but this was my point.

Reminds me of 2003 when nobody was allowed to oppose the Iraq War. The Baseball Hall of Fame cancelled a celebration of Bull Duham because of it. That was because of the PC Police, right? Thought police?

I'm always amused by the fact that usually the people crying over supposed violations of Freedom of Speech, so often have no idea what it means exactly.

real talk

Quote:Probably the same thing alot of baseball managers said about Jackie Robinson back in the 40's.

lol 100% identical....same thing...

Quote:So, when will the LBGT mafia set their sights on Dungy and demand he's fired from NBC?  Count on it happening. 

You know it

Quote:It doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

He shouldn't have said what he said.

NBC will force him to apologize.

Why shouldn't he be allowed an opinion? 

He's not demanding everyone agree with his opinion. 

Don't worry I get it... tolerant until someone says something that goes against the movement. 

Quote:Come on guys Dungy CANT be a homophobe he coached Manning for how long!

One can disagree with homosexuality and not be a homophobe. 

Oh wait....in todays society, I guess you can't...my bad. 

Quote:Here comes the thought police.

You got that right. 

Quote:He's being a hypocrite for one.

He was one of Michael Vick's most vocal supporters in his return to the NFL.

He was also a mentor and advocate for Plaxico Burress.

I didn't realize those 2 were homosexuals. 

Quote:I don't agree with him but I agree he shouldn't have to apologize.

I agree with the above take. 

Quote:I wouldn't have drafted Michael Sam either.

Me neither. I don't like slow "tweeners" . 

If Michael Sam was more of a prototypically size/ speed LB, I'd have no issue drafting him. But then again, I wouldn't force another team/ person to agree/ follow my lead.