Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tony Dungy would not have drafted Michael Sam

Quote:But after all those words, FBT didn't really say anything.

I think he summed up our point of view pretty well and if you don't see that then you are trying not to see it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:But after all those words, FBT didn't really say anything.

Other than expressing his own paranoia about "them" he still hasn't pointed out what "they" will do to the NFL or the Rams.

Will "they" get Jeff Fisher fired? Will thousands not renew their Rams season tickets? Will "they" refuse to buy Rams' jerseys?

It seems that "they" have convinced you and FBT of their immense power and influence.

Some of the rest of us are more skeptical.

Paranoia, paranoia. Everybody's comin' to get me

Quote:It has nothing to do with the size of Sam's fan base,  It has more to do with the vocal minority who will shred anyone who they perceive to be high profile and anti-gay in any way, shape, or form.  

Look at the situation in NY with the Giants hiring David Tyree.  The usual suspects have jumped in front of any camera they can find to shred the Giants for hiring someone who indicated he was against gay marriage 2 years ago.  They get media attention because gay marriage and all things homosexual are considered the cause celeb right now.  It doesn't take thousands of people charging the gates to create a hostile environment.  All it takes is one activist organization to call ESPN or some other outlet to schedule a press conference.  Suddenly it's national news. 

There was no "Christian" lobby that was prepared to pounce on anyone who attacked Tebow for his beliefs, or to blast a team that dared to cut him.  It's almost a red herring to use Tebow as a comparison to the Sam situation.  For Tebow, it was about a very loyal group of fans who supported him.  For Sam, it's a bunch of activists who are only intent on using his situation as a way of furthering an agenda.  

The gay activists are a small, but very vocal, and very powerful lobby group.  Look at what happened when it was revealed that the new CEO of Mozilla had donated money to the traditional marriage campaign in California years ago.  The activists went after Mozilla, and ended up forcing him to resign.  And for what?  Donating a few bucks to a political campaign? 

The hoopla surrounding the 7th round selection of Sam was unprecedented, and it had nothing to do with his football skills.  It had nothing to do with him having a huge national fan base.  It had everything to do with what he represented.  He could be used by activists to push an agenda.  They saw an opportunity for media attention and they jumped on it.  Oprah gave him a reality show. ESPN and the NFL Network fawned over him as if he was a top draft pick.  For what? 
So have the New York "football" Giants' operations come to a screeching halt because they hired Tyree? 

Last I checked, no.

PETA is known for some...unusual...protests over a variety of things.  Did the Eagles shut down because they hired Michael Vick, who killed and abused dogs?  No.

The Giants have been around for quite some time, and during their history, they've had some negative national press.

The Rams have had it too.  While with the Rams, Leonard Little has had repeated DUIs, including one that killed a person.  They have drafted players of dubious character, including Lawrence Phillips and Darryl Henley.  Heck, there was controversy surrounding the former owner (Carroll Rosenbloom/Georgia Frontiere).  The team relocated.  Somehow, I don't think if "one activist organization" managed a press conference that made the national news regarding Sam, the Rams would care.

It's silly to suggest that just because there was no organized Christian Lobby to defend Tebow from all criticism he had no defenders.  Heck, all you had to do was read this board, the T-U, the Broncos' board and the Jets Boards and you'd see that yourself.  There were guys at the stadium-in Jacksonville- wearing those board signs advocating signing Tebow.  But aside from the large number of unorganized fans trumpeting Tebow, there were groups that pushed for Tebow.  One organized a rally at the stadium to urge the Jaguars to sign Tebow.  That made national news, if you recall.  There were also those who petitioned President Obama via the website to get him to force the Jaguars to sign Tebow, which also made national news.  The fact is, there were large groups of unorganized individuals and specific organizations clamoring for the team to sign Tebow.  What impact did that have on the Jaguars?  Absolutely none.  To date, you have mentioned these gay "lobbying" groups, but I haven't seen any evidence of these so called lobbying groups pressuring any branch of the federal government, state government, or local government to force the NFL or any of its teams to draft or sign Sam.  I haven't seen any evidence to suggest they have coerced the Rams into keeping Sam. Can you name one of these groups and document what efforts they made to force NFL teams to draft Sam?  I haven't seen any evidence to suggest the Rams would cave to the demands of any such group if they were pressured.  Tebow is absolutely a fair basis of comparison here, and thus far there's far more pub over Tebow than Sam.  Not even close.

Regarding hoopla over late draft picks, I'm not sure how you would measure that.  Every year, there is a well known player with some sort of fascinating story that falls in the draft and gets a lot of publicity.  A few years back, it was Myron Rolle and the novelty of a football player with a Rhodes scholarship that was all over ESPN and NFLN.  A few year before that, newspaper and television spent a lot of time covering Charlie Ward, who went undrafted. 

To me, much of the "controversy" over gays is contrived.  It's not as if Sam is the first ever gay to play in the NFL.  But let's not pretend this "gay lobby" is this overwhelming force under which no corporate entity can escape.  Plenty, including Chik-Fil-A, have done just fine being on the wrong side of these groups.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:So have the New York "football" Giants' operations come to a screeching halt because they hired Tyree? 

Last I checked, no.

PETA is known for some...unusual...protests over a variety of things.  Did the Eagles shut down because they hired Michael Vick, who killed and abused dogs?  No.

The Giants have been around for quite some time, and during their history, they've had some negative national press.

The Rams have had it too.  While with the Rams, Leonard Little has had repeated DUIs, including one that killed a person.  They have drafted players of dubious character, including Lawrence Phillips and Darryl Henley.  Heck, there was controversy surrounding the former owner (Carroll Rosenbloom/Georgia Frontiere).  The team relocated.  Somehow, I don't think if "one activist organization" managed a press conference that made the national news regarding Sam, the Rams would care.

It's silly to suggest that just because there was no organized Christian Lobby to defend Tebow from all criticism he had no defenders.  Heck, all you had to do was read this board, the T-U, the Broncos' board and the Jets Boards and you'd see that yourself.  There were guys at the stadium-in Jacksonville- wearing those board signs advocating signing Tebow.  But aside from the large number of unorganized fans trumpeting Tebow, there were groups that pushed for Tebow.  One organized a rally at the stadium to urge the Jaguars to sign Tebow.  That made national news, if you recall.  There were also those who petitioned President Obama via the website to get him to force the Jaguars to sign Tebow, which also made national news.  The fact is, there were large groups of unorganized individuals and specific organizations clamoring for the team to sign Tebow.  What impact did that have on the Jaguars?  Absolutely none.  To date, you have mentioned these gay "lobbying" groups, but I haven't seen any evidence of these so called lobbying groups pressuring any branch of the federal government, state government, or local government to force the NFL or any of its teams to draft or sign Sam.  I haven't seen any evidence to suggest they have coerced the Rams into keeping Sam. Can you name one of these groups and document what efforts they made to force NFL teams to draft Sam?  I haven't seen any evidence to suggest the Rams would cave to the demands of any such group if they were pressured.  Tebow is absolutely a fair basis of comparison here, and thus far there's far more pub over Tebow than Sam.  Not even close.

Regarding hoopla over late draft picks, I'm not sure how you would measure that.  Every year, there is a well known player with some sort of fascinating story that falls in the draft and gets a lot of publicity.  A few years back, it was Myron Rolle and the novelty of a football player with a Rhodes scholarship that was all over ESPN and NFLN.  A few year before that, newspaper and television spent a lot of time covering Charlie Ward, who went undrafted. 

To me, much of the "controversy" over gays is contrived.  It's not as if Sam is the first ever gay to play in the NFL.  But let's not pretend this "gay lobby" is this overwhelming force under which no corporate entity can escape.  Plenty, including Chik-Fil-A, have done just fine being on the wrong side of these groups.

Excellent post. I expect some responses telling you to get out from under your rock. If you are under a rock, get out, there isn't room for both of us.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2014, 02:00 PM by Bullseye.)

Quote:Excellent post. I expect some responses telling you to get out from under your rock. If you are under a rock, get out, there isn't room for both of us.

Hey...I was here first.  It's nice and cool under here.  Lots of shade, too.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!