Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kluwe vs Vikings

(This post was last modified: 07-19-2014, 05:00 AM by Andy G.)

So, the Vikings own investigation has concluded their special teams coach said something offensive to their player, Chris Kluwe and that part of the reason for Kluwes release was the "distraction caused by his activism". On top of that the coach, Priefer, has apologised to the LGBT community, to Kluwe, been suspended and agreed to take diversity training.

I'm sure this is all to head off the impending lawsuit, but it appears the Vikings are accepting most of Kluwe's claims (although they do say performance was the main reason for his release)

So, was Kluwe right to make his stand and how does thus affect your opinion of the Vikings ?

Edit

Just read the comments the investigators found he made about a child rape case

How does that change things ?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

"child rape case"

Do you mean his tweet of "two very well known Vikings players were caught in a compromising situation with an underage girl". ?

I think he's drumming all this up just to make a name for himself.  He was being paid like a top 10 punter by the Vikings but wasn't producing, and started running his mouth all the time and the team cut him.

God forbid anyone have their pwecious wittle feewings hurt.

To the Reducation Camp with you!

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

If he can prove political activism was the reason he was cut I hope he sues the balls off them.

Everything else... Meh.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:If he can prove political activism was the reason he was cut I hope he sues the balls off them.

Everything else... Meh.

Not surprised per the source....

And I'd think the....you know....SUCKING at his job thing, probably was the reason he was cut....but I know....thats just crazy talk...

Quote:God forbid anyone have their pwecious wittle feewings hurt.

I hear ya...its getting ridiculous. 

He is quickly becoming a very polarizing figure. The most talked about punter since Ray Guy.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:He is quickly becoming a very polarizing figure. The most talked about punter since Ray Guy.

He's a horses [BLEEP]

Quote:God forbid anyone have their pwecious wittle feewings hurt.

Does this sentiment apply to the people who fired the guy?

IF they fired him for having a differing veiwpoint (big if), aren't they actually the ones forcing their veiwpoint on others?

Quote:Does this sentiment apply to the people who fired the guy?

IF they fired him for having a differing veiwpoint (big if), aren't they actually the ones forcing their veiwpoint on others?

Just stop. 

They fired him because he sucked. Stop enabling the excusemaker who can't accept that he got fired for poor performance. 

If he was good at his gig there would have never been any firing, regardless of his viewpoints. 

Quote:Just stop.

They fired him because he sucked. Stop enabling the excusemaker who can't accept that he got fired for poor performance.

If he was good at his gig there would have never been any firing, regardless of his viewpoints.

And what opinion would you have on the matter if he had an outspoken political disposition that you supported?

You'd be off crying about constitutional rights, and society these days, and God awful political correctness.

don't bother denying it; we both know it's true.

Quote:And what opinion would you have on the matter if he had an outspoken political disposition that you supported?

You'd be off crying about constitutional rights, and society these days, and God awful political correctness.

don't bother denying it; we both know it's true.

None of the above refutes/ refuted the quote that you were responding to. 

Quote:None of the above refutes/ refuted the quote that you were responding to.

LOL.

No, the Vikings investigation refutes the above.

While the Vikings investigation does conclude Kluwe was cut for footballing regions (although it does also mention the distraction caused by his activism) I think there is still a question mark over whether he was right to report his coach for using offensive, homophobic language (and this is something the Vikings accept did happen)

So leaving aside the argument over whether he should have been cut or not, how has this affair affected your view of Kluwe and the Vikings ?

Or do you believe the homophobic issue was just a smokescreen ?

Quote:Not surprised per the source....

And I'd think the....you know....SUCKING at his job thing, probably was the reason he was cut....but I know....thats just crazy talk...

You aren't very good at reading are you?

I suppose you think NFL players shouldn't take part in democracy then?

(This post was last modified: 07-20-2014, 03:10 PM by Dakota.)

I think there's a real fear from many people that if they own a business and have to hire help, that they will be either stuck with bad help or will go broke by being sued, whether the suit is successful or not. All because the person they hired is an activist for (pick anything). That person just has to accuse the employer of discriminating against that form of activism. It's that easy.

There are more and more signs of that happening all over the place today, so it's not just something founded in paranoia. It's very real these days, and it's a very real impediment to commerce.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(This post was last modified: 07-20-2014, 03:18 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I think there's a real fear from many people that if they own a business and have to hire help, that they will be either stuck with bad help or will go broke by being sued, whether the suit is successful or not. All because the person they hired is an activist for (pick anything). That person just has to accuse the employer of discriminating against that form of activism. It's that easy.

There are more and more signs of that happening all over the place today, so it's not just something founded in paranoia. It's very real these days, and it's a very real impediment to commerce.

This man speaks the truth. :thumbsup:

Quote:I think there's a real fear from many people that if they own a business and have to hire help, that they will be either stuck with bad help or will go broke by being sued, whether the suit is successful or not. All because the person they hired is an activist for (pick anything). That person just has to accuse the employer of discriminating against that form of activism. It's that easy.

The way around that is to have very robust hiring, firing and disciplinary procedures. If the expectations of an employee are explicitly clear it is easy to monitor and if someone is bad at their job in most cases and in most work places, it shouldn't be too hard to prove it.

I agree that of course we don't want a situation where employers have their bosses over a barrel the whole time but going the other way wont help either. We live in a country where the vast majority of people work for someone else and it's only right they are protected from going broke and losing everything if they are fired for no good reason.

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2014, 09:02 AM by Deacon.)

You could also say that there is a real fear for people who are looking for work that they may need to conceal part of their beliefs or lifestyle just to hold down a job. Just because someone is giving you a paycheck does not mean that you sacrifice your constitutional rights just to maintain employment.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!