Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Any school teachers that teach in Duval County on the board?

Are their any school teachers or a spouse of someone that teaches in Duval County (or any of the surrounding counties) on this message board? My wife is a special ed teacher in Shreveport, La and is in the process of becoming Nationally Board Certified and once she does we will be relocating and Jacksonville is on our early early list of potential cities. Can someone with any kind of knowledge on the subject tell me about the school systems in the city? We have read info online, but getting insight and facts from a real teacher or spouse of a teacher in the county would be more beneficial. Thanks guys.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Skip Duval and apply at Clay county schools.

Btw, I ain't no teacher.

Quote:Skip Duval and apply at Clay county schools.

Btw, I ain't no teacher.

I'm interested to know why you'd say that.

E. Blue, I'll pm you shortly with what fair and balanced (and not in the Faux News kind of way) info I can share. 

# EVEN IF HE'S RELEASED

Quote:E. Blue, I'll pm you shortly with what fair and balanced (and not in the Faux News kind of way) info I can share.

Hahaha. Thanks!

Quote:I'm interested to know why you'd say that.

E. Blue, I'll pm you shortly with what fair and balanced (and not in the Faux News kind of way) info I can share. 

http://www.news4jax.com/news/education/s...o/26898704

I have/had five children in Duval County schools.  It never ceases to amaze me what they don't teach them.  IMHO, there seems to be a race between the state and the county; the state is running to lower its education standards, and Duval County is racing to achieve them.  I'm aware of the discipline and achievement problems brought about by widespread parental apathy, most is not the problems of the teachers.  In an effort to avoid warehousing academically stagnant children, standards are continuously lowered in the hopes these kids will achieve the simplest goal to move them on.  Clay county is close to Jacksonville and doesn't seem to suffer to the extent the level of problems Duval is experiencing.  Again, these are just my observances.  Hopefully this clarified my stance.  I tried not to give the CNN version which omitted facts that conflicted with my bias.

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2014, 05:25 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:Are their any school teachers or a spouse of someone that teaches in Duval County (or any of the surrounding counties) on this message board? My wife is a special ed teacher in Shreveport, La and is in the process of becoming Nationally Board Certified and once she does we will be relocating and Jacksonville is on our early early list of potential cities. Can someone with any kind of knowledge on the subject tell me about the school systems in the city? We have read info online, but getting insight and facts from a real teacher or spouse of a teacher in the county would be more beneficial. Thanks guys.
I am in Clay County, right next to Duuuuuuuuuuuuuvvvaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllll! Been with CC school board for a total of 13 years. Went to elementary through high school in the county as well.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:http://www.news4jax.com/news/education/s...o/26898704

I have/had five children in Duval County schools.  It never ceases to amaze me what they don't teach them.  IMHO, there seems to be a race between the state and the county; the state is running to lower its education standards, and Duval County is racing to achieve them.  I'm aware of the discipline and achievement problems brought about by widespread parental apathy, most is not the problems of the teachers.  In an effort to avoid warehousing academically stagnant children, standards are continuously lowered in the hopes these kids will achieve the simplest goal to move them on.  Clay county is close to Jacksonville and doesn't seem to suffer to the extent the level of problems Duval is experiencing.  Again, these are just my observances.  Hopefully this clarified my stance.  I tried not to give the CNN version which omitted facts that conflicted with my bias.

Yeah, but people in Clay County have to deal with that Superintendent ...

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

My sister has been a teacher in the Duval County school system for 20 over years, and my father was a principal at a Clay County school for 19 years. I can only say my sister gripes more than my Dad ever did, but that is due more to their individual nature. Despite all her grievances, she has passed on a few opportunities to seek greener pastures, and her reasons were beyond merely hanging on to her tenure and retirement.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

my sister teaches in Clay County and she loves it.  When I finally am able to move my family back to the area I WILL NOT HAVE MY KIDS IN DUVAL COUNTY SCHOOLS!!!!! 

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->;

;

Teach in Clay or SJC.

She will be overworked and rundown within 6 months teaching in Duval.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:Teach in Clay or SJC.

Agreed.  Duval should be the last county to look for a job in especially with special needs kids. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2014, 01:31 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:Agreed.  Duval should be the last county to look for a job in especially with special needs kids. 

I can't speak for Duval, but having been in Clay County for some time now, I can say I really love it. I teach ESE as well, and the support from the county, and the school administration, faculty, and staff is tremendous. I have heard stories from Duval teachers, but I don't get both sides.

;

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2014, 01:05 PM by homebiscuit.)

Quote:I can't speak for Duval, but having been in Clay County for some time now, I can say I really love it. I teach special ed. and the support from the county, and the school administration, faculty, and staff is tremendous. I have heard stories from Duval teachers, but I don't get both sides.

Maybe generation J could tell you.

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2014, 01:36 PM by EricC85.)

If she's going to SJC just avoid St. Augustine High it's the armpit of SJC for sure. speaking from experience class of '03

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

I have been in Duval my whole life. Started out in Orange Park Elementary, than we moved around and I ended up in Hogan Spring Glenn for a year, and then finished up my 2nd - 5th grade years at Beauclerc Elementary. Went to Twin Lakes Middle and then finished up at Sandalwood Highschool. Throughout my entire education. I noticed two key things.

1. English/Language Arts and American/World History teachers were the best teachers IMHO that would actually get up in front of the class, educate, use valid reference points, and engage the classroom. I really enjoyed these teachers. I still remember their names after all of these years and even moments in their classrooms. Outside of that, I didn't really care much for the other classes. I did excel in Art classes though. And I honestly regret not taking my Senior Art's Class teacher's advice to go to the Jacksonville Institute for Arts.

2. You can virtually "skate" by now in the public education system. And honestly, it's a bit sickening. The concept of "No Child Left Behind" is truly unfair to the hardest working students in each classroom and to the parents that put in the overtime after work to make sure their child or children are getting extra attention for improvement. It shouldn't be an even level playing field. If you fail, you fail. All of these remedial courses, or online "safety net" courses you can now take are a joke. It's been that way now since atleast 2003 when I started out at Sandalwood.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:I have been in Duval my whole life. Started out in Orange Park Elementary
Hmmmm......

;

Quote:Hmmmm......

I'm glad somebody caught that.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I have been in Duval my whole life. Started out in Orange Park Elementary, than we moved around and I ended up in Hogan Spring Glenn for a year, and then finished up my 2nd - 5th grade years at Beauclerc Elementary. Went to Twin Lakes Middle and then finished up at Sandalwood Highschool. Throughout my entire education. I noticed two key things.

1. English/Language Arts and American/World History teachers were the best teachers IMHO that would actually get up in front of the class, educate, use valid reference points, and engage the classroom. I really enjoyed these teachers. I still remember their names after all of these years and even moments in their classrooms. Outside of that, I didn't really care much for the other classes. I did excel in Art classes though. And I honestly regret not taking my Senior Art's Class teacher's advice to go to the Jacksonville Institute for Arts.

2. You can virtually "skate" by now in the public education system. And honestly, it's a bit sickening. The concept of "No Child Left Behind" is truly unfair to the hardest working students in each classroom and to the parents that put in the overtime after work to make sure their child or children are getting extra attention for improvement. It shouldn't be an even level playing field. If you fail, you fail. All of these remedial courses, or online "safety net" courses you can now take are a joke. It's been that way now since atleast 2003 when I started out at Sandalwood.

I've got news for you. I'm not proud of this, because it only made my pursuit of further education more difficult, but I skated through Orange Park High School in the mid 70s. I literally spent every day of my junior and senior years pursuing either the perfect buzz, the perfect wave, or both. This is nothing new.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:I can't speak for Duval, but having been in Clay County for some time now, I can say I really love it. I teach ESE as well, and the support from the county, and the school administration, faculty, and staff is tremendous. I have heard stories from Duval teachers, but I don't get both sides.

It's more socioeconomic. 

The parents of these ESE kids, were probably ESE themselves as students. Add to the fact they basically have little to no support at home, and are probably never going to advance at a level where they can live as independent adults. 

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:I've got news for you. I'm not proud of this, because it only made my pursuit of further education more difficult, but I skated through Orange Park High School in the mid 70s. I literally spent every day of my junior and senior years pursuing either the perfect buzz, the perfect wave, or both. This is nothing new.
Nope, you got it. Kids have changed little over the years. Some highly motivated, some not at all.

;