Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Can I get some clif notes?

I've been lurking for a while and I'm trying to figure somethings out. Learning about the team from the media is almost impossible. For example, if you go by ESPN you would think the Panthers lost the #1 receiving corps in the league when really they lost a receiving corps that made ten catches a game. What am I missing about the Jaguars? What are the strengths? Weaknesses? What's the expectations of this draft class? What are the expectations of the team? What do I need to look for in the preseason and the actual season?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/top...-of-trust/

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

What do you need to look for?  I'd start with the cheerleaders... Ya can't go wrong there...

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

This message board IS the Cliff's Notes. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:This message board IS the Cliff's Notes.

It really is lol. Just pick a tread and start reading

Quote:This message board IS the Cliff's Notes. 

I dunno, I've actually passed some tests using Cliff notes before. I'm not sure this board would provide the same benefit.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I dunno, I've actually passed some tests using Cliff notes before. I'm not sure this board would provide the same benefit.

I guess it just depends on the test...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I studied all night long once for a drug test and STILL failed that stupid thing. Big Grin

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:I studied all night long once for a drug test and STILL failed that stupid thing. Big Grin

Josh Gordon?

Quote:I dunno, I've actually passed some tests using Cliff notes before. I'm not sure this board would provide the same benefit.

And Cliff's Notes don't always help either. 

If someone claims they've been lurking for a long time, that would imply they've been reading, unless they just sit on the main screen staring at the forum topics for hours at a time. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:....unless they just sit on the main screen staring at the forum topics for hours at a time.

You're not supposed to do that?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

there have been some weird topics started lately

Quote:there have been some weird topics started lately

It's that time between OTAs and Training Camp. It's always weird. Its like the full moon on a football forum.

Justin Blackmon is the new receiver's coach after Jerry Sullivan got arrested and suspended for a few DUI over the last few years......

Wait....

What?.....

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 07-17-2014, 06:27 PM by jvillejagsn1.)

First off, never look to the media for honest and relative information regarding the Jags (even though there has been more than usual positive reports on our team lately). The media is lazy and ignorant and only report information to further develop the ignorance of the rest of the fan base. The Jags have some of the best fans in the league. Numberwise, we are lacking because we haven't been around for a lengthy time frame; and we haven't been great compared to other teams for a good bit of time during the team's lifespan. To answer your questions 1) Strengths of the team: Owner, GM, Head coach, WR coach, D-line coach, and a young, talented, up-and-coming roster (still needs improvements at areas, but who doesn't?); 2) Weaknesses: Young team with lack of depth at positions and unproven players at positions (Defense will be our main strength this year with the offense possibly being great depending on QB growth, WR growth, and improved O-line play) Also, having a team that the media has bashed for years; which creates little or no national coverage; 3) Expectations of draft class: To get better everyday! (Gus juice here!) 4) Expectations of the team: To be better than last year. We don't expect a playoff run this year. If it happens, then just one more reason to praise Gus Bradley, Dave Caldwell, and Mr. Khan for what they've done here. We expect 6-7 wins this year (at least I do); 5) What to look for in preseason: Look for the competition between Henne and Bortles and the growth of Bortles. His outlook is key to our future success. Look to see what kind of pressure the front 4 on defense bring now with the latest additions. With a good rotation within our front 4, this could help our entire defense. The LBs, corners, and safeties can do their jobs more effectively with a productive front 4. Also, look to see how Gerhart performs as our starting back. If he gets 2-3 yards a carry, we might be in trouble on offense. However, D-Rob will also need a close eye as well.

There is more to watch for more detail into our team, but this is some of the major spots. Hope this helps.

GO JAGS!!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Thanks for typing all that up. That's the insight I'm looking for.

What's the run game look like? Passing?

I just picked up my NFL Sunday Ticket streaming so I'm ready. I'm from North Carolina and a Panthers fan so I know what a bad season feels like. It seems like once you get that negative stereotype from the media it never goes away. That's why I can't here to get up to speed. If you just read the media says you would think we lost the greatest receivers in the league. In reality we lost ten catches a game.

Thanks for putting up with my ignorance!

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2014, 12:06 AM by Firesky.)

As far as the running game goes, It'll be interesting to see, Gerhart was 2nd for the heisman in college and performed well when given snaps behind adrian peterson (averaged 8 yards a carry). He can also pass block well and catch the ball out of the backfield. They'll feed him enough times to get that 1000 yard season but his YPC is anyones guess. If the passing game and unproven WR corps (LOADED with potential though) can take pressure off him Gerhart could have a monster season. That said, Gerhart's a power back and isn't an "ideal" fit for our zone blocking scheme that Jedd Fisch is a proponent of; I still think he'll get around 1200-1300 yards and 10 TD's because I don't see anyone on the roster as more than a change of pace back that'll steal away the lions share of carries from him.

The passing game, Cecil Shorts should be healthy this year now that his groin/hernia is absolved, and He looks like he'll be the first Jags receiver since Jimmy Smith retired in 2005 to reach the 1000 yard mark. If Blackmon somehow gets reinstated we could have arguably the most deadly receiving corps in the league, but I wouldn't expect him back till week 8 at least (if at all). We also have a shifty receiver in Ace Sanders who can be used in a variety of ways much like Denard Robinson, although he's best suited in the slot and for gadget plays (he can run the reverse and throw on trick plays as he showed last year). Lastly our 2 2nd round picks: Marqise Lee (won the Biletnikoff as the best WR in college football back in 2012) and Allen Robinson (Penn States biggest threat, a physical possession WR that has some speed and playmaking ability; should take over blackmons role in the offense IMO), if they both live up to their draft grades and billing we'll have a receiving corps that's 4 deep (at least) and can score from anywhere!

The other aspect of the passing game, the Quarterback, will be intriguing. Bortles has enormous potential but has some throwing mechanics and footwork issues that he needs to correct before taking the reigns, idk if he starts this season or not but he needs to get some seasoning in the pros as he came out early and although played well against top competition, still came from a "lesser" conference. Henne can win some games for us in the meantime, and hold down the fort until Bortles is ready, but I wouldn't expect too much. He'll be streaky but that's no shock, guaranteed to have a ton of batted balls at the line, as well as throw some interceptions that make you scratch your head. Then he'll come back the next drive and throw a beautiful strike down the seam for a huge gain. 

All in all 6 wins or so, the team isn't deep enough to overcome injuries or make a deep run, and a lot of players in key positions are unproven and need to cut their teeth at the pro level. If players like Cyprien, Gratz etc. take the next step this team could be a FORCE in a year or two with a little more talent added. 

sorry for the long writeup 

Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Bring on the long write ups. I've been rehashing the other team since January. Eight yards a carry is huge. He is a beast with an O line that is formidable. I'm glad to be jumping on the bandwagon before anyone notices.

I guess six wins is realistic. With my limited knowledge I would guess 6-8 wins. But I'm coming as an outsider and I don't know how much talent has been lost since last season.

Football can't get here fast enough