Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Question of trust

Anyone who has read this board over the past year can tell you virtually nobody here has confused this team with a juggernaut.

We all know that despite the promise this offseason seems to have, we are still in the very early stages of a massive build.  This is far from a complete team, and there will likely be some uneven performances by the team overall.

The question is, if you had to pick a side of the ball to trust to carry us this year while the team improves, which side of the ball would it be, offense or defense?

Why?

Does your answer change over the course of the season?  What would determine it?

I think the defense will be the one carrying the offense, especially early on in the year.

First, the defense has more proven performers.  While older, guys like Poz, Bryant and Clemons give this team ability and leadership, and at face value, Bryant and Clemons seem to represent immediate upgrades over their replacements from last year, as does Dekoda Watson, while Ziggy Hood should gives us better quality depth, if nothing else.  While Beadles and Gerhart represent veteran additions on the offensive side of the ball, I am not sure if the dramatic impact they may have will be as evident, especially early on.

Secondly, I think there are more young players in ascent on this side of the ball.  Cyprien, Gratz and Branch showed signs of improvement over the course of last year.  Cyp and Gratz are in their second years, while Branch is entering his 3rd.  The young guys on the offensive side of the ball are mostly rookies, especially at WR.   Rookie WRs rarely make much positive impact.  While Joeckel is technically in his second year, he is still a rookie for all intents and purposes.  He started out on the right side fro 4 games or so, then in his fifth, he moved back to LT where he got hurt for the year early in the Rams game.  Bortles likely won't play this year-according to the coaches-and even if he does-it likely won't be until later and it is highly unlikely he replicates Marino's or Roethlisberger's rookie year successes.  While Henne may show improvement with new skill players and linemen and another year in the offense, I think the offense's true improvement will come when Bortles is finally inserted in the lineup.  Shorts is in his prime, but Blackmon is not available, and he should be in his prime.  Rookie WRs rarely make much positive impact.  I think the latter part of this year and 2015 is when you will see the offensive improvement.

Finally, I think it's going to be easier for the defense to gel than the offense.  Two of the newcomers on the defense already know the scheme.  Meanwhile, the OL has four new starters from opening day last year.  It'll take them a while to get in synch, all recognize blitzes and know what to do, etc., which, in turn will affect the performance of the rest of the offense.  Besides, lets face it.  Bradley is a defensive coach.  This will be a defensive team under his watch.

So which side of the ball do you  trust to carry the team this year?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think you have to go with the D simply because the offense is so young and Bortles is the key lynch pin.  Until he plays and hopefully eventually proves his worth as a #3 pick, the D is going to have to put the team in position to win.  Henne is just a guy and most of the offensive weapons are still too young / unproven as of yet.  

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

It's the defense. 

We're in a transitional year on the offense where Bortles will be coming into his own as a rookie.  You're missing a major component with Blackmon being suspended.  Your offensive line is going to take time to develop. 

With a defensive minded coach, and a couple of guys added who are familiar with his system coupled with players now in their second year in Gus' defense, and I've got a lot more faith in that unit as of today.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

The only reason I would say defense is because of Bradley/ Henne. (for their respective positions) 

Otherwise, I think this team is much more talented on the offensive side of the ball, than defensive side. I think our secondary is suspect at best. 

The D baby.

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

Who carries us--Defense

Why-  Chad Henne.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

I'm going into this season with 0 expectations.

If the team shows dramatic improvement, that proves we are on the right path.

If the team does not show improvement, we know there is a problem in house.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:I'm going into this season with 0 expectations.

Your avatar is of poor taste. No class, man. 

Henne put up over 3,000 yards with no running game, cecil shorts and no other consistent target. If the running game comes on and these rookie wr's are productive this could be a dangerous offense.

Quote:Your avatar is of poor taste. No class, man. 
and yours sucks.  So what.

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2014, 06:59 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:and yours sucks.  So what.

Yours is nothing but an embarrassment to us as a fan base, a not so subtle shot at Justin and antagonizing the situation. 

Not something a real Jaguars fan would do. 

What purpose does that serve (you having Justin's mug shot as an avatar)?? Do you think thats cool, or funny?? Or what? Because its not. 

Quote:I'm going into this season with 0 expectations.

"Dramatic" improvement?? lol

I don't think any rational, level headed Jags fan is expecting much more than 5-6 wins at best for this season. 

In 2015? I expect a playoff season. That will give the new players some time to develop a bit. 

But to expect "dramatic improvement" in 2014 is laughable. 

Defense no doubt. That is where the experience is.

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2014, 11:01 PM by Kodiak.)

Special teams, no doubt. Its all about BAnger. /sarcasm
"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

Defense by a mile. We may be VERY good on defense in fact. I expect our offense to be very slow to come together because of youth and the offensive line being unproven.

In fact I am seriously worried about the line. I hope I am wrong

Quote:Yours is nothing but an embarrassment to us as a fan base, a not so subtle shot at Justin and antagonizing the situation. 

Not something a real Jaguars fan would do. 

What purpose does that serve (you having Justin's mug shot as an avatar)?? Do you think thats cool, or funny?? Or what? Because its not. 
You must got your panties in a bunch.  Stop crying like a little girl and act like a man.  People like you is what is wrong with social media by getting offended by the smallest things.  Go cry to someone who cares

Quote:"Dramatic" improvement?? lol

I don't think any rational, level headed Jags fan is expecting much more than 5-6 wins at best for this season. 

In 2015? I expect a playoff season. That will give the new players some time to develop a bit. 

But to expect "dramatic improvement" in 2014 is laughable. 
Stop acting like you know how this team is going to perform cause you don't.  I'm expecting 7 wins especially with how weak the afc south is.  You will be wrong as usual.

Defense. It will only allow 16 points a couple times this year and we will still lose.

Quote:Who carries us--Defense

Why-  Chad Henne.

Came here to say this

Quote:The only reason I would say defense is because of Bradley/ Henne. (for their respective positions) 

Otherwise, I think this team is much more talented on the offensive side of the ball, than defensive side. I think our secondary is suspect at best. 
An interesting take.

I think I could buy the argument the offensive additions make the offense more talented, but I don't think it will manifest itself until later in the season.

Granted nobody knows what will happen with this team next offseason, but I don't think it will be a stretch to say by next year, the offense will be the strength of this team, given the youth on the offense and guys like Clemons and Bryant will likely be in decline.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!