Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kernan Middle School teacher suspended for twerking.

Quote:Conflict resolution is a very important skill to learn and that kind of thing doesn't happen when mom or dad are involved in every aspect of the child's life.

I think that's a better version of what I (and TMD) was trying to say, you're on fire today.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

These kids social interaction was some ditz with a college degree twerking all over them. Hooray school.

Home school does not mean locking your children away from society. It is simply a different choice of education, certainly not meant for all.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:I think that's a better version of what I (and TMD) was trying to say, you're on fire today.

I have my moments! :thumbsup:
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:So, if parents were present, why does the article say according to this child and that child. Why not just ask an adult what happened?

They were probably too busy partaking of the same adult beverages she was.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Great - then we have some of the people that The Drifter introduces us to home schooling their kids.

Not a good idea. Some of the people I know of have no business schooling anyone.

There are home schooling standards that parents must abide by in order for their children to advance.  I have a neighbor who home schools their kids, and it's not just a situation where the kids are home goofing off.  It's not for everyone, but it's a viable alternative to putting your children into the Duval County Public School system where the level of education is suspect depending on where your child is going.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2014, 03:55 PM by badger.)

Quote:Kind of hard to do with mommy or daddy with them everywhere they go. Social interaction doesn't mean just hanging out with other people.
Is that what i said? You have a common misconception of what home schooling is..."mommy and daddy everywhere they go" no, its not like that. However, parents are the most important teachers in any child's life. People have actually become lazy as parents in teaching common lessons in life because they just send their kids to public schools to learn them.

I'm also a product of the public school system. It wasn't bad, but certainly isn't as necessary as some make it out to be. I have plenty of friends who were home or private schooled. They get along great if not better than me.

You are making the assumption that public school is absolutely necessary for social interaction. It isn't.

Quote:I think the social interaction that schools provide to children is every bit as vital as the education.

Most home schooling programs have social interaction built into them.

Quote:Is that what i said. You are making the assumption that public school is absolutely necessary for social interaction. It isn't.

PUBLIC school is not absolutely necessary for social interaction.  There are plenty of alternatives.

Quote:Conflict resolution is a very important skill to learn and that kind of thing doesn't happen when mom or dad are involved in every aspect of the child's life.

Agreed. 

Quote:I think that's a better version of what I (and TMD) was trying to say, you're on fire today.

Yes, BB4 articulated it much better than I did.  (Lol, what else is new right?? :teehee:  )

Quote:PUBLIC school is not absolutely necessary for social interaction.  There are plenty of alternatives.

Thats right....I went to CATHOLIC school. Wink 

Quote:These kids social interaction was some ditz with a college degree twerking all over them. Hooray school.

Home school does not mean locking your children away from society. It is simply a different choice of education, certainly not meant for all.

From the sound of it the parents that were also at this party didn't put a stop to any of the activities as they were happening, so parents aren't perfect either.

And I know many people that home school, and I will disagree with you because for the most part it is about keeping kids away from other people...be it their lifestyles or their ideals. It's all about control. And while I think controlling your kids is good to an extend, your job as a parent is to raise a productive human being...not just little carbon copies of yourself.

Quote:Thats right....I went to CATHOLIC school. Wink
How's your knuckles? :devil:

Quote:From the sound of it the parents that were also at this party didn't put a stop to any of the activities as they were happening, so parents are perfect either.

And I know many people that home school, and I will disagree with you because for the most part it is about keeping kids away from other people...be it their lifestyles or their ideals. It's all about control. And while I think controlling your kids is good to an extend, your job as a parent is to raise a productive human being...not just little carbon copies of yourself.
Sounds as if those folks you speak of are not going about it correctly. Some home schoolers absolutely come off as holier than thou but I also know of folks who's children are excelling. Same with public schools as well.

Quote:From the sound of it the parents that were also at this party didn't put a stop to any of the activities as they were happening, so parents are perfect either.

+1 spot on especially that last line. 

Quote:How's your knuckles? :devil:

Oh, believe me....I'm surprised I don't have arthritis by now after that experience Laughing 

Quote:Most home schooling programs have social interaction built into them.

Social interaction just doesn't mean just being able to hang out with other kids a few times a week at some "fun" activity where everyone is more than likely going to get along any way.

Quote:Social interaction just doesn't mean just being able to hang out with other kids a few times a week at some "fun" activity where everyone is more than likely going to get along any way.

There's a lot more to it than that based on what my neighbors are doing. 

My job as a parent is not for you to decide. You also make another assumption on what home schooling is about. Carbon copies? No, its about guiding your child in the way you see fit. You dont have to let the state tell you how and what to think.

Quote:My job as a parent is not for you to decide. You also make another assumption on what home schooling is about. Carbon copies? No, its about guiding your child in the way you see fit. You dont have to let the state tell you how and what to think.

But there is still a specified curriculum that must be followed.  Home schooling isn't for everyone, but it is a viable alternative, especially in a county where you have 22 failing schools, and if you talk to any teacher in DCPS especially at the elementary or middle school level, you'll find out just how bad things really are. 

My child has attended private school from Pre-K3 into high school. My wife and I made the decision based on the direction we saw the public school system headed.  I'm paying enough to get her a great college education, which will follow soon enough.  I see every penny I invest in her education as money well spent.  I don't regret for a moment the fact that my child will never attend a public school. 

Quote:But there is still a specified curriculum that must be followed. Home schooling isn't for everyone, but it is a viable alternative, especially in a county where you have 22 failing schools, and if you talk to any teacher in DCPS especially at the elementary or middle school level, you'll find out just how bad things really are.

My child has attended private school from Pre-K3 into high school. My wife and I made the decision based on the direction we saw the public school system headed. I'm paying enough to get her a great college education, which will follow soon enough. I see every penny I invest in her education as money well spent. I don't regret for a moment the fact that my child will never attend a public school.

This is true from others I know. My son is only 11 months right now and I have twins on the way. I haven't decided what we will do, but public school is definitely on the bottom of the options.

I find that home schoolers are almost always more well educated abd better off for it. There is a common misconception stemming from ignorance that home schoolers can't carry on everyday conversations with people because they didn't have classmates in public school. It just isnt true.

Quote:Holy crap, hell has frozen over. I agree with something Adam2012 said. 

It is getting cold in here.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.