Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kernan Middle School teacher suspended for twerking.

Quote:This is true from others I know. My son is only 11 months right now and I have twins on the way. I haven't decided what we will do, but public school is definitely on the bottom of the options.

I find that home schoolers are almost always more well educated abd better off for it. There is a common misconception stemming from ignorance that home schoolers can't carry on everyday conversations with people because they didn't have classmates in public school. It just isnt true.
There are plenty of programs offered that allow home school kids to integrate with those attending brick and mortar schools so that they get the full experience.  I've known several families who have participated and they all felt it was the best choice for their children, and based on the results, they're right.  The kids are doing exceptionally well. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2014, 05:29 PM by NH3.)

Quote:I never understand why people make light on stories like this when it involves a female teacher with male students.

Lets pretend the story was a male teacher/coach drinking at a party with female middle school students. He telle girls to put their phones away and proceeds to give lap dances to a few students. He then drives one of the students home.

Is anybody laughing?
There's. NO Pretending...

It's a known fact that an Male teacher soliticing an Female student acquires prison time while an Female teacher soliciting an Male studen usually only gets fired...

If you don't believe... GOOGLE...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:There's. NO Pretending...

It's a known fact that an Male teacher soliticing an Female student acquires prison time while an Female teacher soliciting an Male studen usually only gets fired...

If you don't believe... GOOGLE...

NH3...

Did you attend a DCPS?

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

As I interpreted the latter half of this thread and as it's evolved into Home Schooling I give My Two Cents for what's it worth...

I have family that Home Schools and I'll be the first to say that it's nothing more than parents thinking that they can teach their children better than the school system can. What they fail to recognize is the Student Interaction...

I have an Home Schooled nephew that doesn't have a Clue. I feel sorry for him because he's Ill prepared for the next level...

Sorry Sis...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:Did you attend a DCPS?

No I didn't attend an DC Public School...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:. I feel sorry for him because he's Ill prepared for the next level...

NH3...
Unfortunately the same can be said for probably 75% of public school graduates.....and that's of the ones that actually do graduate.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:Unfortunately the same can be said for probably 75% of public school graduates.....and that's of the ones that actually do graduate.
Exactly.  They advance them no matter what these days.  Most are not prepared for the real world.

Quote:No I didn't attend an DC Public School...

NH3...
But you did attend public school?

Quote:Unfortunately the same can be said for probably 75% of public school graduates.....and that's of the ones that actually do graduate.

This is also true as I witnessed especially if they're athetically gifted...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:But you did attend public school?

Y to the E to the S...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:This is also true as I witnessed especially if they're athetically gifted...

NH3...
It's not just the athletes.  Teachers are being forced to advance kids to keep the stats up so their school doesn't get a failing grade.  The new superintendent is making all sorts of changes to the rules that make it appear on paper that things are getting better in the public school system when the reality is it's getting worse.

On top of that, teachers are not permitted to discipline the kids.  DCPS has eliminated the schools they send problem students to, forcing schools to keep these kids, and if they're causing issues, they're supposed to send them to the library for basically a time out.  One teacher I know quite well teaches at an elementary school in a decent area of town.  She had a kid who was nothing but trouble.  Refused to take tests or to do anything.  He'd tell her where she could go, and what she could stick where when she got there.  The last day of school, he stabbed her with a pencil.  This is a 2nd grader.  Despite not taking half his tests, he was advanced to the 3rd grade. 

Quote:It's not just the athletes.  Teachers are being forced to advance kids to keep the stats up so their school doesn't get a failing grade.  The new superintendent is making all sorts of changes to the rules that make it appear on paper that things are getting better in the public school system when the reality is it's getting worse.

On top of that, teachers are not permitted to discipline the kids.  DCPS has eliminated the schools they send problem students to, forcing schools to keep these kids, and if they're causing issues, they're supposed to send them to the library for basically a time out.  One teacher I know quite well teaches at an elementary school in a decent area of town.  She had a kid who was nothing but trouble.  Refused to take tests or to do anything.  He'd tell her where she could go, and what she could stick where when she got there.  The last day of school, he stabbed her with a pencil.  This is a 2nd grader.  Despite not taking half his tests, he was advanced to the 3rd grade.

Well Said and So So True...

My best friends wife has been an teacher for the past thirty years. What you described is spot on. She once taught at an troubled school (no names mentioned) where the staff refused to break up fights in fear of retaliation. We put students in Fail Mode and is comfortable in watching them Fail...

ALL FOR SCHOOL RATINGS...

Go Figure...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Nothing like pulling numbers out of the air.

If you can afford it and wish to do so, send you kid to private school. Who can blame you?

But most people can't afford that. Public schools need support. Throwing junk stats around is not productive.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Nothing like pulling numbers out of the air.

If you can afford it and wish to do so, send you kid to private school. Who can blame you?

But most people can't afford that. Public schools need support. Throwing junk stats around is not productive.

Throwing bogus stats around is how their status is attained until the real status/results are unveiled as per the rescent outcome. Teachers pad stats to pad their pockets w/bonuses. Some could care less of the true student in need.

That student that needs an extra push.

That student that needs extra time after school.

That student that they'll send to the next level knowing that that student didn't pass their past level...

This is why the U.S. is bringing up the rear worldwide in learning. We have the best schools but not the best school system...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:Nothing like pulling numbers out of the air.

Do some research, less than 75% of Duval county students reach graduation. Of those approx 72% ,less than 60 % of them are college ready. That means that the others are qualified to do exactly squat besides labor or service jobs which I have already stated is fine because society needs those types pf employees, but with the enormous amount of tax dollars both federal,state and local the PS system receive they are doing an incredibly poor job.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:Throwing bogus stats around is how their status is attained until the real status/results are unveiled as per the rescent outcome. Teachers pad stats to pad their pockets w/bonuses. Some could care less of the true student in need.

That student that needs an extra push.

That student that needs extra time after school.

That student that they'll send to the next level knowing that that student didn't pass their past level...

This is why the U.S. is bringing up the rear worldwide in learning. We have the best schools but not the best school system...

NH3...

...Nah, its probably more because we allow the inmates to run the asylum. 

Joe Clark had the right idea. 

(This post was last modified: 07-12-2014, 11:43 AM by Adam2012.)

When did this start happening? This elitism, this us versus them?

Our Presidents and Senators all seem to be Ivy League college graduates - I guess we should just be quiet and do what our Betters tell us.

Or we could do what we can to improve the public school system.

Or we could continue to denigrate the teachers and students - unless, of course, they went to Bolles or Episcopal.

Funny thing is, most of us attended public schools, but now we're too good for them?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

I think this thread is officially off topic.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:I am also a little surprised she was just suspended and not fired.

Right now I am certain they are "convincing" her to resign instead.

(This post was last modified: 07-12-2014, 12:03 PM by homebiscuit.)

Quote:Do some research, less than 75% of Duval county students reach graduation. Of those approx 72% ,less than 60 % of them are college ready. That means that the others are qualified to do exactly squat besides labor or service jobs which I have already stated is fine because society needs those types pf employees, but with the enormous amount of tax dollars both federal,state and local the PS system receive they are doing an incredibly poor job.

They're merely dealing with rampant parental apathy.  Yes, there are bad teachers, but by and large the majority of poor performance and discipline issues are a direct result of lazy uninvolved parents.  Low standards in the schools are an increasing historical result of this.