Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jets offensive coordinator calls Chris Johnson a "first ballot hall of famer"

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/mornhinwe...is-johnson

Now this is getting ridiculous.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I expect no less from the jets.  They have to tailor to their fan base you know

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

I feel for running backs and the HOF.  With the changes to offenses, how are these guys going to compare?

AP and LT are locks pretty much but who else is getting in?  I really, really hope Fred T can get in but the teams tailing off didn't help him out.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I enjoy seeing the Jets run their mouths about everything. Makes it so much more fun when they lose.

CJ has mounds of work to do if first ballot HOF'er is the goal.

Peterson, McCoy, Charles, and Lynch are the best the league has to offer right now. Outside Peterson, it's tough to say if any of the others will be inducted into the HOF

CJ has run for at least 1,000 yards in every single year of his career and 2,000 yards in one of them.

As much as you hate to hear it, he's on his way. But he'll fall off this year if the Jets make him the feature back. He needs to go to a committee.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Johnson could run for 2,000 2 more times and not get in unless he wins a SB. Thats just the way the NFL is.

By the way he is washed up.

Quote:CJ has run for at least 1,000 yards in every single year of his career and 2,000 yards in one of them.

As much as you hate to hear it, he's on his way. But he'll fall off this year if the Jets make him the feature back. He needs to go to a committee.

He's far from it. 1k a year isn't going to cut it, especially considering the history of the position he's going to fall off the cliff in a few years.

Quote:Johnson has 7,965 rushing yards in his career, which is nowhere near enough to merit Hall of Fame consideration. (Jerome Bettis has almost 6,000 more yards than Johnson and has been voted down by the Hall of Fame Selection Committee.)

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Johnson could run for 2,000 2 more times and not get in unless he wins a SB. Thats just the way the NFL is.

By the way he is washed up.

I think 3 2K seasons makes him a first ballot. No doubt about it.

As for SB's, RB's really aren't judged heavily on those.

Quote:He's far from it. 1k a year isn't going to cut it, especially considering the history of the position he's going to fall off the cliff in a few years.

No one's saying he's ready to go right now, so I'm not sure why you're comparing his stats today to Bettis.

Let me clarify: He's on pace to at least merit consideration

Will he get there? Probably not. Is he currently on pace? Absolutely. If breaking 1,000 yards is "slowing down" for CJ, his career numbers might not dip as much as we're lead to believe.

Quote:No one's saying he's ready to go right now, so I'm not sure why you're comparing his stats today to Bettis.

Will he get there? Probably not. Is he currently on pace? Absolutely. If breaking 1,000 yards is "slowing down" for CJ, his career numbers might not dip as much as we're lead to believe.

1000 a season isn't really a big deal anymore. If you're playing in a system that features 1 rb that's only 62.5 yards a game. Even on a split load 62.5 isn't a big deal. Also his td numbers are low. He is not on pace to be a hall of famer. He isn't even worth consideration as top 5 in the league right now and there aren't 5 guys ahead of him that would be hall of famers.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:No one's saying he's ready to go right now, so I'm not sure why you're comparing his stats today to Bettis.

The article was comparing Bettis numbers to CJ. Its relevant because Bettis was recently shunned in the HoF voting and he actually has the numbers to consider entry. CJ needs AT LEAST another 6,000 yards and possibly a SB ring to be in the conversation. He's going to have a hard time doing that with maybe 3 good years left on him.

Quote:The article was comparing Bettis numbers to CJ. Its relevant because Bettis was recently shunned in the HoF voting and he actually has the numbers to consider entry. CJ needs AT LEAST another 6,000 yards and possibly a SB ring to be in the conversation. He's going to have a hard time doing that with maybe 3 good years left on him.

In fairness though, I think Bettis averaged only 3.0 ypa.  I think that is the major factor holding him back.  I think CJ will probably end up in the "Hall of Really Good" category of players.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Worst grill hall of fame

There are a lot of hall of fames out there.  Are we sure he's talking about NFL?

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:The article was comparing Bettis numbers to CJ. Its relevant because Bettis was recently shunned in the HoF voting and he actually has the numbers to consider entry. CJ needs AT LEAST another 6,000 yards and possibly a SB ring to be in the conversation. He's going to have a hard time doing that with maybe 3 good years left on him.
Bettis is the definition of a volume back. I wouldn't send him in either. But I actually didn't click that article because everything related to the Jets reeks of TMZ, thanks for pointing that out.

Well, however it goes, CJ's resume is still quite impressive. Very few backs can string together that many 1,000 yard seasons, and the only backs that I can think of that have done it the first 6 years of their career are Barry Sanders, Curtis Martin and LaDainian Tomlinson.

Quote:1000 a season isn't really a big deal anymore. If you're playing in a system that features 1 rb that's only 62.5 yards a game. Even on a split load 62.5 isn't a big deal. Also his td numbers are low. He is not on pace to be a hall of famer. He isn't even worth consideration as top 5 in the league right now and there aren't 5 guys ahead of him that would be hall of famers.

Of course he isn't top 5 in the league anymore. He's at a point in his career where sustaining above average numbers (1,000 yards, 7-10 TDs) will be considered a successful season.

1,000 yards a season will always be a big deal, and will be an even bigger one as teams opt to go with committees in the backfield rather than feature backs and offenses become even more pass happy.

Hall of Fame running backs are often judged by how long they can do "it", not by putting up ridiculous numbers. It's a big reason why Terrell Davis isn't in even though you'd be hard-pressed to find someone that doesn't think he isn't one of the greatest backs to ever play football, or why Shaun Alexander will never be in.

But like I said, we'll see. I'm actually curious to see what all these aging backs from the mid-2000s and up will do this year.

Fireman Ed can beat Chris Johnson in a sack race.

Quote:Bettis is the definition of a volume back. I wouldn't send him in either. But I actually didn't click that article because everything related to the Jets reeks of TMZ, thanks for pointing that out.

Well, however it goes, CJ's resume is still quite impressive. Very few backs can string together that many 1,000 yard seasons, and the only backs that I can think of that have done it the first 6 years of their career are Barry Sanders, Curtis Martin and LaDainian Tomlinson.

Of course he isn't top 5 in the league anymore. He's at a point in his career where sustaining above average numbers (1,000 yards, 7-10 TDs) will be considered a successful season.

1,000 yards a season will always be a big deal, and will be an even bigger one as teams opt to go with committees in the backfield rather than feature backs and offenses become even more pass happy.

Hall of Fame running backs are often judged by how long they can do "it", not by putting up ridiculous numbers. It's a big reason why Terrell Davis isn't in even though you'd be hard-pressed to find someone that doesn't think he isn't one of the greatest backs to ever play football, or why Shaun Alexander will never be in.

But like I said, we'll see. I'm actually curious to see what all these aging backs from the mid-2000s and up will do this year.

This is another arguement in itself, but I dont think Terrell Davis was a great tailback.  He was very good, but I think the system he was put in is what did it for him.  That Denver zone blocking scheme back then was nasty....look at the running backs that blew up for them during that time.

It's hard to take Marty Mornhinweg seriously as a talent evaluator after he thought that Ty Detmer was a starting caliber NFL QB. 

I want him in my fantasy league.
Only a chump boos the home team!