Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags could be the biggest turnaround story in the NFL in 2014?

I know it's Bleacher Report, but still, it's an article that lays out why the team could wind up being the biggest turnaround in 2014.  It's not a huge stretch.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I know it's Bleacher Report, but still, it's an article that lays out why the team could wind up being the biggest turnaround in 2014.  It's not a huge stretch.

I saw the article this morning. While anything could happen the guy is completely missing the target. KC had great players, they just needed strong direction, they got that in 2013. The Jaguars aren't a team full of pro bowl talents yet.

The author also makes the mistake of latching on to that "4-4 after the bye" thing that people around here do. Sweeping the team with the #1 pick and squeaking out a couple of wins against teams that imploded on the field isn't an indication of increasing performance. The Jaguars team that went onto the field against Indy and got blown away in week 17 is the same team that went onto the field against KC in week 1 and got blown away. The improvement in the second half of the season was illusory.

We must focus our thoughts as negatively as possible!!!!!!
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:I saw the article this morning. While anything could happen the guy is completely missing the target. KC had great players, they just needed strong direction, they got that in 2013. The Jaguars aren't a team full of pro bowl talents yet.

The author also makes the mistake of latching on to that "4-4 after the bye" thing that people around here do. Sweeping the team with the #1 pick and squeaking out a couple of wins against teams that imploded on the field isn't an indication of increasing performance. The Jaguars team that went onto the field against Indy and got blown away in week 17 is the same team that went onto the field against KC in week 1 and got blown away. The improvement in the second half of the season was illusory.

So in your expert estimation, the Jaguars play did not improve in the 2nd half of the season.  It was all just a fluke.  Got it.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

While I think that there will be some turn around this season, I wouldn't expect a "Kansas City" type turn around.  I do expect to see some improvement, and if the team makes .500 I would consider it a huge improvement.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

The author of the article clarified his point about the KC turnaround.  He wasn't predicting a 14-2 season. 

Quote:So in your expert estimation, the Jaguars did not improve in the 2nd half of the season.  It was all just a fluke.  Got it.

They did improve in some positions, but the overall competitiveness of the team didn't improve. This is still likely to be a team that is routinely a double digit dog against playoff level teams.

The real problem the Jaguars had last year, though, is still the same problem they have this year. They don't have a QB, and you don't win in this league with guys who are only measured positively when they're compared to guys like Gabbert.

Once Bortles is ready to show why he was drafted #3 is when the team will actually be competitive.

The columnist laid out the positive case for this year's Jaguars to turn things around, but I can also think of a dozen reasons why they wouldn't turn it around.   There's just no way to know, and that's the beauty of it.   One of these days, our season will be a pleasant surprise.   It seems like we've been wandering in the wilderness for so long.

Quote:The author of the article clarified his point about the KC turnaround.  He wasn't predicting a 14-2 season. 

I understand that.  However, saying that the Jaguars will be the "2014 Chiefs" is kind of a stretch.

Quote: 

But they will be this year's Chiefs, a team that seemingly comes out of nowhere and turns it around.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I understand that.  However, saying that the Jaguars will be the "2014 Chiefs" is kind of a stretch.

Exactly. Is it really a big story if the Jaguars win 6 or have great fortune and win 7 games this year? I'd say no. No one sees a 2 or 3 game improvement as that significant and it's really pushing it to imagine this team can go even .500 with Henne at the helm.

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2116502-why-jacksonville-jaguars-will-be-nfls-biggest-turnaround-story-in-2014#articles/2116502-why-jacksonville-jaguars-will-be-nfls-biggest-turnaround-story-in-2014'>I know it's Bleacher Report, but still, it's an article that lays out why the team could wind up being the biggest turnaround in 2014. It's not a huge stretch. </a>

Makes a lot of sense, I think the team is definitely making great strides. While that may not quite get us past .500, I think even being in that area will be quite a shock to some people although it really shouldn't be.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:Exactly. Is it really a big story if the Jaguars win 6 or have great fortune and win 7 games this year? I'd say no. No one sees a 2 or 3 game improvement as that significant and it's really pushing it to imagine this team can go even .500 with Henne at the helm.

I would have to disagree with this, but then again, it goes along with your usual agenda.

Quote:I would have to disagree with this, but then again, it goes along with your usual agenda.

Rolleyes

Quote:I understand that.  However, saying that the Jaguars will be the "2014 Chiefs" is kind of a stretch.
Again, he explains his point. 

Quote:Again, he explains his point. 

The point being what?  That it's feasible for the Jaguars to improve to .500?  Yes, he does lay that out and I'm a firm believer in that.  However, if I look at a team to be the "2014 Chiefs" I would be looking at a team that all of the sudden becomes a "team to beat" for a playoff bound team.

I just don't see the Jaguars "coming out of nowhere" and turning their record around as drastically as the Chiefs did.

Can we get a site admin to change someone's name to jagidontbelieve?

Huh

Quote:SOMEONE MAKE THAT GUY DRINK THE KOOLAID!

Fixed it for ya.

Hey it is good on the organization to have the team heading in a seemingly good direction.  To build up the fan base after years of poor rosters is a feat in and of itself.  I like what I see out of this team but we still need talent and improvement at the QB position.

I don't trust Henne.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I really enjoy the optimistic view from bleacher report and I hope it proves to be true. I'm not holding my breath, however. Yes, I realize that anything is possible in the NFL... I also realize that I could win the lottery (even though I don't buy tickets..) and that while writing this I could be struck by a rogue meteor. The probability of it though is such that to pin hopes on it seems ridiculous. And it is much the same with the Jaguars. I think there is no reason not to expect us to be a 'little' improved. We've acquired some quality defensive players from the Seahawks. We have a new running back who is both strong and fresh who should breath a little new life into the running game. We have what should be a pretty good receiver corps now. Out offensive line 'might' be better with the return of Luke but we don't actually know since this year will more or less be his rookie year. Our offensive line has been a problem for a long time now and it isn't going to get fixed over one season.

Still, we have reason to be optimistic that we should have, at the very least, a slightly better record than last year. We do have more talent now. We are playing a more favorable schedule this year than we did last. For the first time in a while some of the players will get to have the same head coach for two seasons! I don't agree with the extremely negative article from Yahoo predicting us to finish #32. On the other hand, going 13-3 this year is not, in my opinion, a very likely scenario either. We aren't the Kansas City Chiefs; they had a lot more pro bowl caliber talent last year than we do now. We are getting better and moving in the right direction, but we simply aren't there yet. I think a far more probable record would be from 5-11 to

7-9. And if we do 8-8 or better... then holy smokes batman!

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

You all are funny with your over-analyzing everything. It's really quite simple math: 2-14, 4-12, so 8-8 this year and 16-0 next year.