Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jack: linebacker or safety?

Now that the season is almost over guys which position do you see him at next year? 

I know it all depends on the new HC and which scheme we'll be using.

I was more oriented on him playing LB (not at the current position though) but recently I started leaning more towards him playing safety. 

I know it was discussed before and some users on here suggested it but then I recently found this pre draft article: 

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spor...story.html

To cut it short for people who don't want to read it all:

<p style="font-size:18px;font-family:Georgia, 'Droid Serif', serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">“They really envision me as a DB,” Jack said in a recent phone interview. “Even at my pro day, toward the end, they kind of jumped in and had me do DB drills. They really envision me there. … They feel like I can fill that spot Eric Weddle was at. Obviously, they want me at a lower weight, but with my skill set, they can see me in the slot, covering and running.

<p style="font-size:18px;font-family:Georgia, 'Droid Serif', serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">“Like they were saying, the NFL is moving to mostly sub-packages. So I think that’s where the Chargers see me fitting in, a sub-package type of deal where I’m coming in and playing nickel and the safety-type role. They have plans for me. If they draft me, then I think that’s the role I’ll be playing in.”

<p style="font-size:18px;font-family:Georgia, 'Droid Serif', serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Also in a recent article by Ryan O'Halloran after Jack perfectly covered Minnesota TE in the end zone it's explained that he only had a few opportunities to drop in coverage because of the scheme and the fact that he goes out in nickel situations (opposite of what San Diego wanted to do with him) : 
http://jacksonville.com/jaguars/2016-12-...ortunities

<p style="font-size:18px;font-family:Georgia, 'Droid Serif', serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">In the article Jack explains how much he loves dropping in coverage to cover TE or receivers while at the OTTO position he mainly has to just cover his side for run plays or the flats. 

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);">By Jack words It seems that even he sees himself more as an hybrid safety-LB so considering his speed, athleticism he could definitely fit the position and be a big upgrade to Cyprien(and with his skillset a potential bro bowler at the position for years)

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);">So where do you see him at? Still as the MLB of the future replacing Poz? Still at SAM/OTTO but without having him off the field on obvious passing situations?  or are you open to have him playing the safety position instead of Cyprien? 

<p style="font-size:18px;font-family:Georgia, 'Droid Serif', serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);"> 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

[Image: 67031947.jpg]
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Hybrid him out. If he's good enough to reverse roles mid game I agree with Skeet. Mix it up with him. Carolina has done it for years with Thomas Davis. I think the Rams did or do it now with Mark Barron. It wouldn't hurt to throw the offense off here and there with some funky looks. Rex Ryan and Bill Belichick do it and have done it from time to time. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2016, 09:25 AM by diamondjag28.)

In the box safety who can cover rbs and tight ends in man coverage easily. He's a playmaker

Alls I know is... kid saw the field for like his most (or second most) action of the season and the D played great.

Good coaches will figure out a way to get their best players on the field, despite scheme.

I like the idea of using him more creatively until Poz begins to decline or moves on. (Only one year left on contract)

At that point he deserves a shot at MLB.

Jack at MLB and Poz at OTTO

I've been all for putting him at SS since the moment he was drafted.  He needs to be on the field in position to make plays, and at LB that's tough with Smith and Poz playing at the level that they are.

PA Jags Fan
;
; Supporting from long distance

Quote:Jack at MLB and Poz at OTTO

Hopefully we don't have an "Otto" next year

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Get him on the field for every snap, period!

Also on Sunday his snap count was 24 which is considerably higher than the 8 snaps the week before and 12 snaps a couple of weeks ago. Seems like Marrone immediately got him more involved.

In college he was a great cover linebacker. Yet Gus was using Jack at SAM, which is mainly rushing the QB and defending the run. He is actually pretty good at defending the run but not at pass rush

MLB.

Mike would be the best spot for him if he can pick it up like we hope he can. If he is going to beast somewhere, that's where it would have the most impact. 

Dude is still only 21 years old. I say start him at MLB for the next 10 years.

Quote:Also on Sunday his snap count was 24 which is considerably higher than the 8 snaps the week before and 12 snaps a couple of weeks ago. Seems like Marrone immediately got him more involved.

I honestly wondered at times if Gus was having him sit on the bench most of the year to try and use him as an excuse to stick around for another year. That's how mind blowing it was that he was rarely ever playing. 

PR & KR with his pace!!

Seriously though, MLB.

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

I've said from the get go, if we change our Defense scheme, I see him going to SS. But I do like him lined up next to Telvin and hopefully another future LB stud we draft or pull in FA; once Poz is gone of course.

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Linebacker.  I prefer a converted large corner to play safety.  Malcolm Jenkins type.  

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:Linebacker.  I prefer a converted large corner to play safety.  Malcolm Jenkins type.  

Myles Jack is 6'1"

Jenkins is 6'0"

Jenkins is a Free Safety, Jack would be Strong Safety.

He's got the size, and he's already shown an ability to absolutely smother TEs in Coverage.  His athleticism and skillset is perfect for SS.

PA Jags Fan
;
; Supporting from long distance