Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Men Throw Out $1-Million Powerball Ticket And Sue New Jersey Lottery

Men Throw Out $1-Million Powerball Ticket And Sue New Jersey Lottery

MAHWAH, N.J. (AP) — Two New York men are suing the New Jersey Lottery after they threw out a Powerball ticket worth $1 million.

Salvatore Cambria and Erick Onyango, of Suffern, New York, argue in their federal lawsuit that the lottery didn't quickly update its website with the winning numbers from the March 23 drawing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/26...weird-news

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

So it's the lottos fault that they didn't check the date for the numbers on the website...
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

...'Murica

I'm gonna sue because I was thinking about buying the winning Mega Millions ticket on Tuesday.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:So it's the lottos fault that they didn't check the date for the numbers on the website...

They have a case though....if the drawing is at 11, and they check it after 11, they should be updated.  We live in a different world now a days where information is readily available.

Plus, if they have the proof they had the winning numbers...can you blame them for being a little upset?

Quote:They have a case though....if the drawing is at 11, and they check it after 11, they should be updated. We live in a different world now a days where information is readily available.

Plus, if they have the proof they had the winning numbers...can you blame them for being a little upset?
I'll bet you there is a disclaimer on the website, ticket, or both.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:I'll bet you there is a disclaimer on the website, ticket, or both.

Could be, and if thats the case they are screwed.....I'm typically annoyed by frivolous lawsuits, but if this happened to any of us, I'm guessing we'd take similar steps.

I don't know how I feel about it.

On one hand, they did buy the ticket and win. If their State's lotto can prove that they won, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't have the money. Granted, they were stupid to throw it away so quickly, but if the lotto had a history of instantly putting up the numbers or doing it one way (that they didn't follow on that day), I could see them still paying out. 

If they can't prove they had the winning ticket, the whole thing is pointless.   Anyone could make that claim.  Heck, I could sue the lottery for not calling my numbers if I wanted to. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:They have a case though....if the drawing is at 11, and they check it after 11, they should be updated.  We live in a different world now a days where information is readily available.

They have a case?.....really??

This country is screwed with more of this mentality. Wallbash 

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2014, 05:09 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:If they can't prove they had the winning ticket, the whole thing is pointless.   Anyone could make that claim.  Heck, I could sue the lottery for not calling my numbers if I wanted to. 

Hey why not, right?? Thats what this country is all about anymore!! Find some friggin stupid loophole somewhere and sue to get rich. 

Welfare mentality. 

They really shouldn't have thrown it out.. That's a costly mistake.

Quote:They really shouldn't have thrown it out.. That's a costly mistake.
I'm sure they realize that now. 

If they did indeed buy the ticket, and they can prove it by auditing the location where the ticket was purchased, and possibly providing some photographic evidence that they purchased the ticket, they might have a leg to stand on.  Otherwise, life's tough. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:If they can't prove they had the winning ticket, the whole thing is pointless.   Anyone could make that claim.  Heck, I could sue the lottery for not calling my numbers if I wanted to. 
Don't point of sale machines for lottery tickets track which ticket was sold when, where and with what numbers? All he had to do after that was to show he was the one who bought the ticket. Easier said that done of course.

PS. This is why you should always paid for lottery tickets through electronic means, that way they can link your payment to the sale of the ticket.

Quote:PS. This is why you should always paid for lottery tickets through electronic means, that way they can link your payment to the sale of the ticket.

I might be wrong, but I don't think you're allowed to pay for the tickets using debit/credit cards.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Suffern, New York.  I wonder if that's the redneck area of the state?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ima gonna start playing powerball twice weekly. I'm going to win one day. You'll know when I win when I don't tell you I won. And when I'm sitting in the pools at the bank all alone.

Quote:Hey why not, right?? Thats what this country is all about anymore!! Find some friggin stupid loophole somewhere and sue to get rich. 

Welfare mentality. 

Priceless! And right on time. You're nothing if not predictable.

Do you have a tiny program that creates this same response each time The Drifter posts?

Should you be better spending your time responding to all the slams about New Jersey?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:They have a case?.....really??

This country is screwed with more of this mentality. Wallbash

Because they had the winning lottery ticket (allegedly), looked at the official site for the lottery numbers, saw they lost, and threw it away?

If I'm running a contest where I'm giving out millions of dollars, there has to be some sort of responsibility on me to do things in a timely manner.  Football scores for 16 games a week can be given in real time (play by play online as well...) so updating lottery numbers with high stakes shouldn't be that hard.

This wouldn't have happened in the 60's, right?