Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Men Throw Out $1-Million Powerball Ticket And Sue New Jersey Lottery

Sounds like someone will be diagnosed with premature miscalculation.
Signature goes here.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I might be wrong, but I don't think you're allowed to pay for the tickets using debit/credit cards.

That is very true. Well, I know it's true in my state anyway. Always have to use cash.

The lotto is just a tax on the poor
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:The lotto is just a tax on the poor

Well America was built on hopes and dreams.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Well America was built on hopes and dreams.

America was built on hard work, lotto is all about dumb luck, it's pretty much the anti-american. Get lucky and get rich, opposed to work hard and earn your keep. 

Lotto is not a tax on the poor, it's a tax on people with bad math skills.

And for TMD: your "welfare mentality" comments are insulting. There are many, many, many people who turn to welfare when circumstances are so desperate they need help to eat or house their children. They have been doing things correctly for years then the corporate execs make bad decisions and their jobs are lost. Through no fault of their own they are destitute and what jobs are available are sought by dozens of people. It's a numbers game. Sure, some people abuse the system, but most are embarrassed to be in it and would crawl through broken glass to get out of it. [BLEEP]!

Regards.....................the Chiefjag

Quote:Because they had the winning lottery ticket (allegedly), looked at the official site for the lottery numbers, saw they lost, and threw it away?

If I'm running a contest where I'm giving out millions of dollars, there has to be some sort of responsibility on me to do things in a timely manner.  Football scores for 16 games a week can be given in real time (play by play online as well...) so updating lottery numbers with high stakes shouldn't be that hard.

This wouldn't have happened in the 60's, right?

It clearly states on the website, above the numbers: "winning numbers (date)." These guys are morons, plain and simple.

Quote:America was built on hard work, lotto is all about dumb luck, it's pretty much the anti-american. Get lucky and get rich, opposed to work hard and earn your keep.

Have you been in America lately? Put on TLC for an hour and then make those statements.

Quote:Have you been in America lately? Put on TLC for an hour and then make those statements.

I wouldn't say America as of late is the same America

Quote:Lotto is not a tax on the poor, it's a tax on people with bad math skills.

And for TMD: your "welfare mentality" comments are insulting. There are many, many, many people who turn to welfare when circumstances are so desperate they need help to eat or house their children. They have been doing things correctly for years then the corporate execs make bad decisions and their jobs are lost. Through no fault of their own they are destitute and what jobs are available are sought by dozens of people. It's a numbers game. Sure, some people abuse the system, but most are embarrassed to be in it and would crawl through broken glass to get out of it. [BAD WORD REMOVED]!

I respectfully have to disagree with you on this point.  From what I have seen, the majority of people that actually play and follow the lottery are "poor" or low income hoping to strike it rich "the easy way".

The "welfare mentality" is very much a real thing.  While yes, I agree with most of what you had to say about it, I also saw in another forum that I frequent something kind of disturbing.  The topic was related to a person that has been convicted of hacking computer systems.  He spent time in prison and is out, and part of his now 5 year probation is he can not use a computer or any internet connected device.

One of the comments in that thread suggested that he apply for disability, since his "only skill" involved computers.  There was no consideration to the FACT that this is a healthy 25 year old male capable of doing other things.

While disability is not welfare, in this case it pretty much is.  Replace "welfare" with "I can't do what I want so I should get free money".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

And you're pulling an isolated case out of the bin to categorize the entire bin. That's what TMD does.

Nobody is forced to buy lottery tickets. People are forced to pay taxes. Therefore lottery tickets are not anything close to a tax.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:Nobody is forced to buy lottery tickets. People are forced to pay taxes. Therefore lottery tickets are not anything close to a tax.

I buy lottery tickets probably once or twice a year, the thing is I can afford it.  If I had hungry kids at home, or couldn't afford to give them money for lunch...I wouldnt be buying that.

Unfortunately, thats not everyones mentality.

Quote:I buy lottery tickets probably once or twice a year, the thing is I can afford it.  If I had hungry kids at home, or couldn't afford to give them money for lunch...I wouldnt be buying that.

Unfortunately, thats not everyones mentality.
Yeah, I buy them quite often. it's gambling, I like gambling. I just stick to the old caveat of don't gamble scared money. If I was strapped for cash I would not purchase them.

Quote:And you're pulling an isolated case out of the bin to categorize the entire bin. That's what TMD does.

I simply gave an example of one case that I'm familiar with.  Are you saying that the one case does not represent "the bin"?

If so, then please give an example of another case "out of the bin".

The lottery is in fact a "tax on the poor" because that is the primary customer.  I suspect that you won't find many "rich" or "upper middle class" people in line at the local convenience store to buy lottery tickets.

"Welfare mentality".  That is also a very real thing.  I gave one example that you dismiss as "an isolated case out of the bin".  There is a growing number of people in our society that think that they are "owed" something.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Nobody is forced to buy lottery tickets. People are forced to pay taxes. Therefore lottery tickets are not anything close to a tax.

I beg to differ on that one.  Taxes are not necessarily "forced" on anyone.  However, the State of Florida makes a huge sum of money off of the lottery.  How many "winners" are there compared to "losers" when it comes to the lottery?  Who primarily plays the lottery?

Sure it is not a direct tax like most of us pay (property taxes), but it does add to the treasury.  It is more-or-less an indirect tax, and who is paying it?

Quote:I beg to differ on that one.  Taxes are not necessarily "forced" on anyone.  However, the State of Florida makes a huge sum of money off of the lottery.  How many "winners" are there compared to "losers" when it comes to the lottery?  Who primarily plays the lottery?

Sure it is not a direct tax like most of us pay (property taxes), but it does add to the treasury.  It is more-or-less an indirect tax, and who is paying it?
Only people that choose to, that's who's paying it. If you don't think taxes are forced try not  paying Uncle Sam his share of your income and they will come and force you to pay it or suffer the consequences of not. They will do it at gun point if necessary.

Quote:Only people that choose to, that's who's paying it. If you don't think taxes are forced try not  paying Uncle Sam his share of your income and they will come and force you to pay it or suffer the consequences of not. They will do it at gun point if necessary.
You're comparing federal tax to local and state tax.  It's not the same thing.

The people that "choose to" play the lottery are indirectly paying taxes to the state and the city.  What demographic typically plays the lottery on a consistent basis?  I'm by no means looking at race as part of the demographic, only looking at annual household income.

Yeah, I'll give you some other instances of those in the bin who are not like your example. In 1969 my father left our house and my mother with 6 kids. My mother was always a mother never holding a job in her life. Her oldest child (my brother) was a senior in high school who was accepted at North Carolina State University for the fall semester. She had a whopping $23 in her bank account when Dad left and she was 40 years old. Disgraced, she reluctantly did what she had to do to keep the family fed and together by receiving government handouts. She applied for and received grants to go to college which she attended while the rest of us were in school in the mean time struggling to wash clothes, keep a house together, attend PTA meetings, et. al. She earned her college degree when she was 45 years old.

By the time she passed away in 2005 she was a multi millionaire, all 6 of her children had, not only college degrees from major universities, but advanced degrees and successful careers and successful marriages with fine families of their own.

Again, I know some people abuse the system but others are embarrassed to be in it yet need it to survive. It really is disgusting to me for people who have never walked in those shoes to claim those in the welfare system have a "welfare mentality".

Regards....................the Chiefjag

Quote:Yeah, I'll give you some other instances of those in the bin who are not like your example. In 1969 my father left our house and my mother with 6 kids. My mother was always a mother never holding a job in her life. Her oldest child (my brother) was a senior in high school who was accepted at North Carolina State University for the fall semester. She had a whopping $23 in her bank account when Dad left and she was 40 years old. Disgraced, she reluctantly did what she had to do to keep the family fed and together by receiving government handouts. She applied for and received grants to go to college which she attended while the rest of us were in school in the mean time struggling to wash clothes, keep a house together, attend PTA meetings, et. al. She earned her college degree when she was 45 years old.

By the time she passed away in 2005 she was a multi millionaire, all 6 of her children had, not only college degrees from major universities, but advanced degrees and successful careers and successful marriages with fine families of their own.

Again, I know some people abuse the system but others are embarrassed to be in it yet need it to survive. It really is disgusting to me for people who have never walked in those shoes to claim those in the welfare system have a "welfare mentality".

Regards....................the Chiefjag

Your story is truly touching, and I can understand where you are coming from.

It brings back memories of me as a child eating the "government cheese" and going with my mother to the local church to "get our share" of what was available.  I can honestly say that "I've been there".

I get where you're coming from, and if I offended you, I must ask you for your forgiveness.  I really mean that.

I tend to get so caught up in "today's society" that sometimes I forget where I came from.