Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Men Throw Out $1-Million Powerball Ticket And Sue New Jersey Lottery

Quote:Yeah, I'll give you some other instances of those in the bin who are not like your example. In 1969 my father left our house and my mother with 6 kids. My mother was always a mother never holding a job in her life. Her oldest child (my brother) was a senior in high school who was accepted at North Carolina State University for the fall semester. She had a whopping $23 in her bank account when Dad left and she was 40 years old. Disgraced, she reluctantly did what she had to do to keep the family fed and together by receiving government handouts. She applied for and received grants to go to college which she attended while the rest of us were in school in the mean time struggling to wash clothes, keep a house together, attend PTA meetings, et. al. She earned her college degree when she was 45 years old.

By the time she passed away in 2005 she was a multi millionaire, all 6 of her children had, not only college degrees from major universities, but advanced degrees and successful careers and successful marriages with fine families of their own.

Again, I know some people abuse the system but others are embarrassed to be in it yet need it to survive. It really is disgusting to me for people who have never walked in those shoes to claim those in the welfare system have a "welfare mentality".

Regards....................the Chiefjag

Wow!  Your mom was da man.  Smile

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I beg to differ on that one.  Taxes are not necessarily "forced" on anyone.  However, the State of Florida makes a huge sum of money off of the lottery.  How many "winners" are there compared to "losers" when it comes to the lottery?  Who primarily plays the lottery?

Sure it is not a direct tax like most of us pay (property taxes), but it does add to the treasury.  It is more-or-less an indirect tax, and who is paying it?

How in the world can you compare something you pay for on your own free will to a tax?  Just because the government receives the money doesn't make it a tax.  I don't care which income bracket you fall in, it doesn't make it a tax.

(This post was last modified: 07-03-2014, 08:35 AM by Jagwired.)

Quote:How in the world can you compare something you pay for on your own free will to a tax?  Just because the government receives the money doesn't make it a tax.  I don't care which income bracket you fall in, it doesn't make it a tax.
Dude doesn't want to see the difference between a voluntary purchase of something and a government (State or federal) enforced tax. He seems to want to project his personal moral standpoint of the lottery into the conversation disregarding the fact that no one in any income bracket as you correctly point out is forced to pay his so called "Indirect Tax".

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.