Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
8 oz. Beer?

Quote:Your dum. The amber is good to.

My splitting headache the next morning disagrees with you.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:My splitting headache the next morning disagrees with you.

Does the beer you drink affect the amount of hangover you feel the next day?

Quote:Does the beer you drink affect the amount of hangover you feel the next day?

If it's Budweiser, yes.

The most tenacious hangover? Soju

Quote:Does the beer you drink affect the amount of hangover you feel the next day?

Icehouse. Beware!
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:If it's Budweiser, yes.

The most tenacious hangover? Soju

I've been eyeing the Soju at this place I frequent since the last time you mentioned it, but it looks too powerful.

Lets throw out "cheap" stuff. I'm wondering if some of you are more affected by say a good porter over a good lager and such. 

Quote:I've been eyeing the Soju at this place I frequent since the last time you mentioned it, but it looks too powerful.

Lets throw out "cheap" stuff. I'm wondering if some of you are more affected by say a good porter over a good lager and such.
My head usually hurts too bad to worry about my hangover.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:If it's Budweiser, yes.

I can vouch for this.  I can only drink one or two Budweisers, and it will screw me up.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Lets throw out "cheap" stuff. I'm wondering if some of you are more affected by say a good porter over a good lager and such. 

Typically, a good porter or a good stout will also give you a massive hangover, but it's not a "hurtful" kind of hangover.  If I over-indulge, I typically wake up thirsty and a bit shaky.  I need to drink plenty of water/fluids and get some food in my stomach to get over it.  After that, then I just find myself "tired" for the rest of the day.  I don't typically experience a headache or anything like that.

If I over-indulge on a cheaper domestic beer, the story changes.  I'll still wake up thirsty, possibly a bit shaky but I also tend to have the associated headache and nausea.  Recovering from this kind of hangover is pretty much the same, but along with water/gatorade/juice I also drink some green tea.

I never take any kind of medication with the exception of a possible Pepscid AC if my stomach is messed up.  Stay away from ibuprofen (Tylenol) as it in combination with alcohol can damage you pretty bad.  Aspirin might help if you have a headache, but it will do your stomach no favors.

Just look at what alcohol in general does to your body.  It WILL dehydrate you, hence being thirsty.  It will also raise your blood sugar level significantly.  You essentially get a "sugar high" along with the associated "crash".

To "cure" a hangover, you need fluids and you need to bring your blood sugar level back to an acceptable level.

After that, it's just rest and maybe a bit more sleep.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Spend some time in Germany. It will forever change your idea of what really good beer is all about.
Beer, sausage, and women.

You left a couple out.

I will never understand why they put their brats on a bun that looks like a bagel though. It's kind of strange. Once I start eating it, I forget all about any shortcomings of the bun.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:Typically, a good porter or a good stout will also give you a massive hangover, but it's not a "hurtful" kind of hangover.  If I over-indulge, I typically wake up thirsty and a bit shaky.  I need to drink plenty of water/fluids and get some food in my stomach to get over it.  After that, then I just find myself "tired" for the rest of the day.  I don't typically experience a headache or anything like that.

If I over-indulge on a cheaper domestic beer, the story changes.  I'll still wake up thirsty, possibly a bit shaky but I also tend to have the associated headache and nausea.  Recovering from this kind of hangover is pretty much the same, but along with water/gatorade/juice I also drink some green tea.

I never take any kind of medication with the exception of a possible Pepscid AC if my stomach is messed up.  Stay away from ibuprofen (Tylenol) as it in combination with alcohol can damage you pretty bad.  Aspirin might help if you have a headache, but it will do your stomach no favors.

Just look at what alcohol in general does to your body.  It WILL dehydrate you, hence being thirsty.  It will also raise your blood sugar level significantly.  You essentially get a "sugar high" along with the associated "crash".

To "cure" a hangover, you need fluids and you need to bring your blood sugar level back to an acceptable level.

After that, it's just rest and maybe a bit more sleep.

Ha, thanks man but I think you misunderstood what I was asking.

I was not looking for general information on hangovers, I was just wondering if some of the beer drinkers here have specific beers that affect them differently than even similar beers.

For instance, if I drink multiples pints of Guinness in a night, it affects me differently the next day than even other irish stouts. I've always kind of wondered if everyone has a beer or two like that or if it's possibly just me.

Quote:Ha, thanks man but I think you misunderstood what I was asking.

I was not looking for general information on hangovers, I was just wondering if some of the beer drinkers here have specific beers that affect them differently than even similar beers.

For instance, if I drink multiples pints of Guinness in a night, it affects me differently the next day than even other irish stouts. I've always kind of wondered if everyone has a beer or two like that or if it's possibly just me.
All I drink is beer. I stay away from liquor for the most part because I am very afraid of the hangover, which would most likely involve a jail cell and some big, unsavory dudes who want me to be their new "girlfriend".......

No thanks.

Beer doesn't give me hangovers, especially the one listed above.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Bud Light out sells Miller Lite 3 to 1 in my place. The IPO is a fad, so goes the Angry Orchard and Johnny Appleseed, much like the wine coolers of the 80's and 90's. The heavy lagers, a thing of the past but still a strong audience amongst seniors and those who don't mind the calories. The lime flavored beers, again a fleeting fad, are dwindling in sales.

One thing you can count on, true beer drinkers may test the new flavors but they always go back to Budweiser, Heinekin, Yuengling, Michelob, Corona, and Sam Adams.

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2014, 08:38 PM by xJAGGYx.)

Quote:Bud Light out sells Miller Lite 3 to 1 in my place. The IPO is a fad, so goes the Angry Orchard and Johnny Appleseed, much like the wine coolers of the 80's and 90's. The heavy lagers, a thing of the past but still a strong audience amongst seniors and those who don't mind the calories. The lime flavored beers, again a fleeting fad, are dwindling in sales.

One thing you can count on, true beer drinkers may test the new flavors but they always go back to Budweiser, Heinekin, Yuengling, Michelob, Corona, and Sam Adams.
We don't always agree, but when we do, you owe me a beer. So tell me where your bar is so I can claim my free

bL.

Edit: draft of course. I don't want that bottled crap.

Quote:Ha, thanks man but I think you misunderstood what I was asking.

As soon as I put a bud or bud light to my lips, I can feel the headache. PBR will do it as well, but nothing is as reliable as an Anheuser Busch related hangover.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Icehouse. Beware!
Drink 8 pints of Steel reserve and see how your entire body feels the next day. It's like they put motor oil in that crap.

Yuengling is the way to go if you wanna drink good tasting beer. I normally just buy the cheap stuff though(PBR, Rolling Rock, High Life, Icehouse, occasionally Natty Ice). IPA's are good, but the way some people are so snobby about beer it almost makes me not want to drink the damn things.

60% of the time, It works Everytime...

[Image: BS5hg.jpg][Image: m5Lb.jpg][Image: 5YnyA.jpg][Image: U2VW7.jpg]

Yeungling tends tends to make me fuzzy and a bit gassy the next day. Still a good beer though.

As far as beer that goes well with food, Rolling Rock is about the best, in my opinion.

Quote:Beer, sausage, and women.

You left a couple out.

I will never understand why they put their brats on a bun that looks like a bagel though. It's kind of strange. Once I start eating it, I forget all about any shortcomings of the bun.

I ate quite a bit of traditional German food while there but I discovered Germans are as eclectic in their food tastes as Americans. It's likely to see them eating pizza as schnitzel. The difference being they know when to stop. You don't see many fat Germans.

Rolling Rock is a good beer on a hot day

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

Quote:So my supervisor was tasked with getting some beer for one of the owners and a higher level manager for my company.  The beer was set to be put in a cooler and "smuggled in" to a trade show.  The request was for nothing fancy or exotic, just a 12 pack or so of Bud Light.  :yucky:

My supervisor is not a drinker at all, and went out and bought a "12 pack" of Bud Light as instructed.  He was proud of himself because it was "on sale" and got a 12 pack for around 6-7 dollars.

When we went to put them into the cooler, we saw that the "12 pack" was actually 12 8oz beers.  :woot:

Who in their right mind would serve just 8oz of beer if it wasn't a sample of some sort?

Needless to say, I had to make a run to the nearest convenience store to get a "real" 12 pack of "beer" (Bud Light)  :yucky: .
You're lucky Florida isn't a 3.2 beer state!  He probably would have bought that if he had seen it.   :woot:

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

I'm surprised this forum did not recognize the true and beautiful role for these tiny beers.  I used to bring an 8-pack of Miller Pony's (7-oz) to the Jag games back in the old-school 1990's.  We called them "breakfast beers" and they were the perfect start to any tailgate party.  When you are slamming Irish Car Bombs before noon, it helps to ramp up with a preliminary breakfast beer at around 9:00 or 10:00.