Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If the Jaguars won the Superbowl would you still be a fan?

Or at least be as enthusiastic about the team as you are now? 

I know that it sounds crazy but one of the reasons why I think any of us even follow a team like the Jaguars is because we're all waiting for that one moment where our patience for the many years of enduring back to back losing seasons, disappointing draft picks (Gabbert, Harvey.), and poor management/coaching (Shack Harris, Gene Smith, JDR, and Mularkey) finally pays off by seeing our team one day in the not so distant future raise the Lombardi Trophy and having our franchise QB say: "I'M GOING TO DISNEYWORLD!"

But have any of you ever thought about the consequences (Both positive and negative.) of the Jags winning a Superbowl? One thing that would almost certainly happen to this team is an increasing fanbase due to the number of fairweather and bandwagon fans who would suddenly identify themselves with this team. Despite the fact that many of these people who are Jaguar "Fans" probably never originally supported the team to begin with. Have no connections to Jacksonville or Florida in general. And probably don't have any respect for the true diehard fans like us that are on this forum and how we had to live through all of the miserable seasons and terrible management prior to this Superbowl win.

Increasing media exposure and press coverage would focus more of their attention on the city and bring to light some of the more negative aspects of the city. (Which can be interpreted as being either good or bad for the city.)

To me, I have never thought of us as being just a "Fanbase" but more like a "Fraternity". And if we suddenly had an inflating fanbase it would take away that sense of "Brotherhood/Sisterhood" for us due to our quark sized fanbase. And a horde of new fans suddenly aligning themselves with the team would take away that sense of "We're all in this together."

On the other hand, a Superbowl win would be good from a business perspective due to more TV deals, merchandise sales, and higher ticket prices. The city would find itself in a much more competitive position to host other sporting events and other non-sporting events due to an increased marketing campaign.

Teams like New England and New Orleans had to endure some brutal years before their teams eventually became winners. And when they both finally won a Super Bowl/s it really seemed like their originally core and loyal fanbases from the beginning were suddenly replaced by an arrogant, and self-entitled group of new fans who had never endured the earlier crucibles.

If the Jaguars were to suddenly, and abruptly win the Superbowl this year it would without a doubt be one of, if not the, greatest turnaround in not only the NFL, but the entire history of sports IMO. On the other hand, it would also be bittersweet for a number of reasons as well.

I'm certain that a lot of you reading this thread will have a number of different opinions, beliefs, and perspectives about the idea, and this is why I think that it is important that we as fans should ask ourselves these questions first.

I look forward to reading your opinions.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-24-2014, 01:23 PM by knarnn.)

What in the....what? It's way to early to be drinking. Time to put down the bottle my friend.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Wut

I think most people would love to have a reason to be an arrogant fan base.

Sometimes it's best to keep your thoughts to yourself.

Huh

Quote:What in the....what? It's way to early to be drinking. Time to put down the bottle my friend.
We could all pick it up and join him!

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

No comment.

Would you still be a fan of women if you lost your virginity type of question?  You scream and cheer and want more, more, more SuperBowl wins (one win is never enough)!

I'm hungry for a back-to-back after the first SB.  Ask again after a 3-peat, it would also coincide with hell freezing over and monkeys flying out of my butt.

Kaishakunin for hire.

* (disclaimer) If you think I'm serious, hit yourself in the face w/ a hammer.

If they won, a strong contingent of the posters on this board would still be whining about something.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 06-24-2014, 01:46 PM by trunt87.)

How exactly are more fans a negative?  Instead of us handing out tickets for nothing every week to avoid blackouts we will actually be selling them. 

Bring on dem bandwagoners. 

Of course I'd still be a fan.

uh....yes

[BLEEP] breh
"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

I'd probably have to find a new team since I hate winning.

Wow.

Just win baby!!!!!

This is arguably one of the dumbest questions anyone has ever asked on this board with a whole lot of words backing it up in the OP.

I've been a fan from the very beginning.  Win or lose, nothing changes that fact. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

All those words for such a ridiculous premise.

My goodness.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

If my aunt had a pair of cajones, she'd be my uncle.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

As evidenced in the previous comments, starting a thread w/such antics is LUDICROUS ...

In a time when even the media is starting to give positive feed back some fans just keep on trucking down Negative Blvd...

NH3...
"AZANE"