Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Canadian woman convicted of killing 2 after stopping on interstate to save ducks

It is truly amazing just how stupid people can be.

What makes it even worse is that I saw this story on another site, and the comments attached to it there were worse than the act itself.  There were people on there blaming the man who was killed...over ducks.  A woman saw her entire family wiped out because someone wanted to save ducks. 

As a motorcyclist who logs a lot of miles, I've seen people do some truly stupid things from the comfort and safety of their cages.  They don't bother to pay attention to what's going on around them.  This girl decided to stop in the left lane of a provincial highway (the Canadian equivalent of our interstates), not set the hazards, and run to save ducklings.  I've seen similar things happen here.  I've seen drivers completely oblivious to what's going on around them. 

It just takes a little common sense for everyone to get home alive. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I would be interested to hear what her thought process was in doing that. Sometimes people show such a shocking lack of common sense that it's hard to understand their rationale.

Side story:

Two men died down the road from me a few nights ago because they were driving tractor on opposite sides of the highway, and stopped on the side of the road to have a conversation.

They pulled the tractors parallel to the road, left them running with the lights on and facing traffic, and stood behind them on the road to talk.

Sad story all around. 

She's a good soul. She thought she was doing a good thing helping save something that couldn't fend for itself in that situation...but she also wasn't responsible herself in how she went about trying to go about the kind act. You can't just stop your car in the middle of the interstate and expect nothing bad to come of that. 

She's

Quote:I would be interested to hear what her thought process was in doing that. Sometimes people show such a shocking lack of common sense that it's hard to understand their rationale.

Side story:

Two men died down the road from me a few nights ago because they were driving tractor on opposite sides of the highway, and stopped on the side of the road to have a conversation.

They pulled the tractors parallel to the road, left them running with the lights on and facing traffic, and stood behind them on the road to talk.

She's a rabid animal lover apparently.  In one of the articles I read on this (it may be in this one), it pointed out she's only been driving for 3 years.  I guess they were trying to use her inexperience to explain her stupidity.  She stopped in a traffic lane and got out of her vehicle.  No emergency.  She just saw ducklings. 

People do the dumbest things.  Tractors?  Conversations? 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Sad story all around. 

She's a good soul. She thought she was doing a good thing helping save something that couldn't fend for itself in that situation...but she also wasn't responsible herself in how she went about trying to go about the kind act. You can't just stop your car in the middle of the interstate and expect nothing bad to come of that. 

Good soul or not, she wiped out 2/3 of a family of humans to save ducklings. 

Quote:Good soul or not, she wiped out 2/3 of a family of humans to save ducklings. 

Hence, "sad story all around". ..

She'll probably get off with a slap on the hand during sentencing. 

Quote:She'll probably get off with a slap on the hand during sentencing. 

I doubt that.

Then again, its not like she should be given the chair here, either...

She's not going to get anything close to the life sentence that is possible.  It's Canada. 

Quote:I would be interested to hear what her thought process was in doing that. Sometimes people show such a shocking lack of common sense that it's hard to understand their rationale.

Side story:

Her thought process was simple. Save the animals. Her method of doing so was not so good.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:She's not going to get anything close to the life sentence that is possible.  It's Canada. 

Nor does she really deserve a life sentence. There was no willful intent to kill anyone here. 

Quote:Her thought process was simple. Save the animals. Her method of doing so was not so good.

Exactly. 

Quote:Nor does she really deserve a life sentence. There was no willful intent to kill anyone here. 

Exactly. 

Never implied there was, nor did I indicate I thought she deserved a life sentence.  Still, two people are dead as a result of a bleeding heart.  She'll have to live with that cloud hanging over her head for the rest of her life. 

(This post was last modified: 06-23-2014, 01:48 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Never implied there was, nor did I indicate I thought she deserved a life sentence.  Still, two people are dead as a result of a bleeding heart.  She'll have to live with that cloud hanging over her head for the rest of her life. 

As said, its pretty much a sad and very tragic situation all around. 

I won't come down on her for trying to help something that couldn't help itself. If the world had more people like that, it'd be a better place. 

What I will come down on her for was the careless execution of how she went about it. 

2 people died because of that. 

She deserves punishment, just not to the fullest extent of the law since there was clearly no intent to kill here. 

Quote:Her thought process was simple. Save the animals. Her method of doing so was not so good.

I guess that's kinda my point. How does the thought process just end there? You're on an interstate highway.

Quote:I guess that's kinda my point. How does the thought process just end there? You're on an interstate highway.

I still don't understand the reasoning behind stopping on a highway vs. pulling over.  Doesn't really explain anything about that, nor the accident, in the article. 

Quote: 

I won't come down on her for trying to help something that couldn't help itself. If the world had more people like that, it'd be a better place. 

Extreme lack of common sense, no matter the intent, would not make the world a better place. It would be very, very dangerous.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

(This post was last modified: 06-23-2014, 03:31 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Extreme lack of common sense, no matter the intent, would not make the world a better place. It would be very, very dangerous.

Lets try some reading comprehension.....

I obviously was referring to her compassion with the "better place" comment, not the lack of common sense/ careless part. 

Good Lord....

I didn't think I'd have to explain that. :wacko: 

Quote:Extreme lack of common sense, no matter the intent, would not make the world a better place. It would be very, very dangerous.

Bingo.  Good intentions don't trump the complete lack of common sense here. 

(This post was last modified: 06-23-2014, 03:55 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Bingo.  Good intentions don't trump the complete lack of common sense here. 

Bingo? He completely miscomprehended my responses....

LOL....

No one is giving her a pass for the lack of common sense, and careless/ recklessness of her actions. 

I was speaking purely about her compassion as a person. 

This thread proves some posters will just take counter arguments for the sake of arguing with each other.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]