Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Florida Couple could face jail time for feeding the homeless

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/flor...ss-n103786

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Meh, I can definitely see why the city is making a big deal about this.

In this Country alone, it's practically a crime in and of itself to be homeless. Ridiculous. 

The authorities at Daytona Beach should be ashamed of themselves.

Quote:In this Country alone, it's practically a crime in and of itself to be homeless. Ridiculous. 

The authorities at Daytona Beach should be ashamed of themselves.

It isn't illegal to be homeless.

Also, while extremely kind, this couple's actions had adverse consequences. The article mentions that the homeless were urinating and defecating around their business. That hurts their business. In the long run, customers don't return when they see a crowd of homeless around the businesses they choose to shop. If these business don't get customers, taxes aren't paid, the parks began to deteriorate, and now the city doesn't have the capability to care for the park. 

At what point do you stop it?

Yeah, if they want to help the homeless in Daytona, they can do it by donating to one of the local shelters. Why cause other businesses in the area to suffer by having to deal with the mess left behind?

What they're doing is great. The execution, not so much.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

They want to feed the homeless at that particular place...stick around and clean up after the mess that their homeless "family" are making and I bet there wouldn't have been a problem. It's bad enough going to a public park and stepping in dog poop...its not just nasty, it's dangerous to be stepping in people poo!!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:They want to feed the homeless at that particular place...stick around and clean up after the mess that their homeless "family" are making and I bet there wouldn't have been a problem. It's bad enough going to a public park and stepping in dog poop...its not just nasty, it's dangerous to be stepping in people poo!!!

Exactly. There's a way this could have been done more effectively. They can play the victims, but they're showing a complete lack of consideration for the taxpayers of Daytona.

I'm no fan of the DBPD. The way they treat bikers during Bike Week and Biketoberfest is shameful considering how much money that brings to the region. There's a reason these events have migrated more and more to the Ormond Beach area. But, in this instance, they're doing the right thing here.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Got to love the media, they spin it as if the people doing the good deed are getting a bad wrap.

What they are doing is awesome, but, as the article points out, coordinate with the city on a time and place for this. I don't see why you'd spend money in court fighting that.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

The homeless don't normally go hungry, nor do they have to beg or steal to eat  Walk behind any Winn Dixie and eat as much day-old baked goods and produce as you want.  Walk behind the Salvation Army store and they are throwing out tons of donated stuff they don't have room for on the shelves.  Homelessness is largely an addiction problem or a lifestyle choice.

Quote:The homeless don't normally go hungry, nor do they have to beg or steal to eat  Walk behind any Winn Dixie and eat as much day-old baked goods and produce as you want.  Walk behind the Salvation Army store and they are throwing out tons of donated stuff they don't have room for on the shelves.  Homelessness is largely an addiction problem or a lifestyle choice.

I know four guys personally that have been homeless for an extended period of time.

1. he was undiagnosed schizophrenia he couldn't keep a job or a place to rent. he was convinced the CIA was watching him and the Devil was running the CIA. Once he was baker acted and forced onto medication he settled down, ended up with a steady job and last I heard he got married and started a family. For him it was a medical issue

2. he was and still is an alcoholic. He calls himself a functioning alcoholic but when I worked with him I wouldn't call it functioning at all. He works enough to pay off bills to keep from shutting off his lights or TV and the rest goes to drinking. Had his Father not given him a trailer to live in he'd still be homeless, he was homeless in New Jersey but always talked about it not being that bad. He always said, if things went south all he needed was beer and a tent. for him it was an addiction issue

3. he's not legal, he's not even supposed to be here so I'm not surprised he's still homeless. Basically he's been living state side "illegally" for a while I think at one point he might have been legal not sure? But leaching off Family for a while, so they finally go tired of it and he's homeless at the moment. They got sick of it because he has addiction issues, they'd give him money and he'd spend it on drinking.

4. Lost touch with him long time ago, we where in grade school together, heard from the grapevine he was homeless. He was always off but I'm assuming whatever was wrong got worse over time. his parents have tried to bring him home but he refuses from what I know, for him it's a choice.

I'd say it's accurate and fair to say most homeless in the United States are either by choice or addition.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:I know four guys personally that have been homeless for an extended period of time.

1. he was undiagnosed schizophrenia he couldn't keep a job or a place to rent. he was convinced the CIA was watching him and the Devil was running the CIA. Once he was baker acted and forced onto medication he settled down, ended up with a steady job and last I heard he got married and started a family. For him it was a medical issue

2. he was and still is an alcoholic. He calls himself a functioning alcoholic but when I worked with him I wouldn't call it functioning at all. He works enough to pay off bills to keep from shutting off his lights or TV and the rest goes to drinking. Had his Father not given him a trailer to live in he'd still be homeless, he was homeless in New Jersey but always talked about it not being that bad. He always said, if things went south all he needed was beer and a tent. for him it was an addiction issue

3. he's not legal, he's not even supposed to be here so I'm not surprised he's still homeless. Basically he's been living state side "illegally" for a while I think at one point he might have been legal not sure? But leaching off Family for a while, so they finally go tired of it and he's homeless at the moment. They got sick of it because he has addiction issues, they'd give him money and he'd spend it on drinking.

4. Lost touch with him long time ago, we where in grade school together, heard from the grapevine he was homeless. He was always off but I'm assuming whatever was wrong got worse over time. his parents have tried to bring him home but he refuses from what I know, for him it's a choice.

I'd say it's accurate and fair to say most homeless in the United States are either by choice or addition.

I had a close friend that ended up homeless because of a meth addiction. Very sad to watch.