Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Allen Hurns

(This post was last modified: 06-20-2014, 10:24 AM by La Arma.)

Gus has praised former Miami WR Allen Hurns for stepping up in OTAs and minicamp while the top receivers were injured. He's been getting first team reps (even if by default).

Hurns has the size (6'3" 195 lbs) to be that big, physical receiver that the receiving corps has been lacking. Any Miami fans out there with insight on the kid? Other thoughts?

@OnGuardJax

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

first of all, he's not 6-3. he measured at 6-1 at the combine.

secondly, he is physical though. he was UM's best receiver last year by a good margin.

he's still actually raw, as he didn't play in a passing offense in high school, so he's really just starting to touch the surface(i think) of his ability as a WR.

i think he'll make the PS. Numbers game not looking good for him right now.

Best case scenario, he is on the practice squad this year.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

He stood out whenever you watch tape of Miami. I think PS is for him.

Shock the world

Quote:first of all, he's not 6-3. he measured at 6-1 at the combine.

secondly, he is physical though. he was UM's best receiver last year by a good margin.

he's still actually raw, as he didn't play in a passing offense in high school, so he's really just starting to touch the surface(i think) of his ability as a WR.

i think he'll make the PS. Numbers game not looking good for him right now.

Weird, he's listed as 6'3" on the Jags website, as well as Miami's. http://www.jaguars.com/team/roster.html

@OnGuardJax

teams exaggerate height all the time.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/alle...id=2543817

Allen Hurns

Miami

6-1

10-0

9 1/4

http://walterfootball.com/combine2014WR.php

2" is quite an exagerration

He has 4.3 game speed.  He will wind up being the Jags best receiver.

Perhaps he will make up for 'Bust'er Bortles.

Quote:2" is quite an exagerration

It's a bit of an exaggeration, but not unusual.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Anyone actually go to mini camp and see him?

@OnGuardJax

I was there a couple times. He looked about as good as you could look in a shorts practice. Can't really tell much. He didnt drop anything that I saw, though.

Regardless of his underware ravings, he has entered a crowded and talented position to which youth is served up. (See Babin)...

He signed w/no concerns of the competition and seems to be extremely confident as well. It's always possible that he lands on the 53 man roster while another is released...

Time Will Tell...

Good Luck Sir...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:He has 4.3 game speed.  He will wind up being the Jags best receiver.
Please explain to me the physics of how a guy who runs 4.55 in shorts suddenly runs 4.3 in full pads.

It's ok, not every "fast" guy has to run 4.3. If a guy can run 4.55 in shorts and stay at that speed in pads, he's pretty quick by NFL standards. That's why Antwaan Randle El and his 4.65 were considered "fast". He stayed at that speed, whereas full pads would make those smaller 4.4 corners into 4.7 guys.

Quote:Please explain to me the physics of how a guy who runs 4.55 in shorts suddenly runs 4.3 in full pads.

It's ok, not every "fast" guy has to run 4.3. If a guy can run 4.55 in shorts and stay at that speed in pads, he's pretty quick by NFL standards. That's why Antwaan Randle El and his 4.65 were considered "fast". He stayed at that speed, whereas full pads would make those smaller 4.4 corners into 4.7 guys.

Game speed and timed speed aren't the same thing. Some guys just have an extra gear when they're in pads and have a bunch of DBs chasing them. Just like some guys time well but don't play nearly as fast, a la Matt Jones
10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

Quote:Game speed and timed speed aren't the same thing. Some guys just have an extra gear when they're in pads and have a bunch of DBs chasing them. Just like some guys time well but don't play nearly as fast, a la Matt Jones

So So True...

Me personally... When an Ankle Biter is chasing me, I perform my personal best...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:2" is quite an exagerration

Like you've never exaggerated 2 inches !!  :yes:

Quote:Like you've never exaggerated 2 inches !!  :yes:

He's a lousy carpenter.

This is one situation that you would'nt want to hit the nail on the head...

NH3...
"AZANE"

On the field Hurns doesn't look like a big WR.  He plays more like a quick slot WR, but you can tell he is bigger than the slot receivers.  But he has those types of moves.  Robinson plays like a big WR.  He is 6'3", 210 lbs.

Robinson pushes up against the CB, while Hurns runs around them.

I like Hurns.  I think if the team keeps 6 WR then he has a chance to beat out Tandon Doss.  We'll have to see what happens in training camp.