Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gabbert "Very Impressive"

Quote:I think pirk was referring to the QB class, not the overall class. Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder made a trifecta of disappointment. 

I didn't think it needed that much explanation, but considering it's shangster... maybe it did.

IMO, what makes it hurt more in some folks minds is that he was our bust.  Plus, one that couldn't have come at a worse time.  Not only are we a work in progress at QB, you could say that about just about every position on the field.  Double whammy... as our rookie QB struck out, the entire team was bottoming out as well.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I didn't think it needed that much explanation, but considering it's shangster... maybe it did.

IMO, what makes it hurt more in some folks minds is that he was our bust.  Plus, one that couldn't have come at a worse time.  Not only are we a work in progress at QB, you could say that about just about every position on the field.  Double whammy... as our rookie QB struck out, the entire team was bottoming out as well.

But, that crash may turn out to be a blessing. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I didn't think it needed that much explanation, but considering it's shangster... maybe it did.

Right.......You know, just because Gabbert flat out sucked doesn't mean you have to downplay the rest of the 2011 QB class. A pretty bad QB class would be like the 2006 class, or even 2010, where only one QB selected in the first three rounds could potentially be long term.

2011 class has a ratio of 50/50 in the first three rounds: Newton, Kaep, and Dalton / Gabbert, Ponder, and soon to be Locker. With the exception of the 2012 class, the 2011 class is one of the better classes since 2004.

But knowing you, of course you don't have the common sense to think of that. Keep singing your tune, though.

Quote:Right.......You know, just because Gabbert flat out sucked doesn't mean you have to downplay the rest of the 2011 QB class. A pretty bad QB class would be like the 2006 class, or even 2010, where only one QB selected in the first three rounds could potentially be long term.

2011 class has a ratio of 50/50 in the first three rounds: Newton, Kaep, and Dalton / Gabbert, Ponder, and soon to be Locker. With the exception of the 2012 class, the 2011 class is one of the better classes since 2004.

But knowing you, of course you don't have the common sense to think of that. Keep singing your tune, though.

The problem is the perception that none of those guys are a true elite guy.

Kaepernick throws for a pretty meager amount of yards and gets his butt kicked every time he faces Russell Wilson. Dalton looks like Schaub, a game manager who isn't going to make it over the hump, and Newton, while elite athletically, still isn't a sure thing as an actual take over the game QB.

So, to sum it up, when you take the lows of the class (Gabbert, Ponder, Locker) and consider that out of 4 guys taken in the first round 3 are already obviously never going to be elite and the 4th guy still has major doubts about him 3 seasons in makes it seem like a low end class even if 3 guys taken in it turn out to be pretty good. The problem is that pretty good just isn't good enough in the NFL at QB.

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2014, 01:46 PM by shangster.)

Why do they have to be elites to be justified as good draft picks? There are only four true elite QBs over the decade -- because they are very rare. Are Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Big Ben, Rivers, and Eli Manning elites? Heck no, but they are franchise QBs. Newton, Kaep and even the questionable Dalton all have early successes and at least two of them are already considered long-term franchise material QBs. Dalton and his Schaub-like game manager is going to get a reasonable extention with the Bengals. With the exception of the 2004 and 2012 QB classes, what other class since 2004 produced a 50/50 ration on QBs?

Again, just because Gabbert sucked doesn't mean you have to downplay the QB class. It's one of the better ones in the last 10 years.

Quote:Why do they have to be elites to be justified as good draft picks? There are only four true elite QBs over the decade -- because they are very rare. Are Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Big Ben, Rivers, and Eli Manning elites? Heck no, but they are franchise QBs. Newton, Kaep and even the questionable Dalton all have early successes and at least two of them are already considered long-term franchise material QBs. Dalton and his Schaub-like game manager is going to get a reasonable extention with the Bengals. With the exception of the 2004 and 2012 QB classes, what other class since 2004 produced a 50/50 ration on QBs?

Again, just because Gabbert sucked doesn't mean you have to downplay the QB class. It's one of the better ones in the last 10 years.

Big Ben is elite, Flacco and Ryan are closer to elite than anyone in the first round of the 2011 draft so far.

Having other years be bad, too, doesn't make the guys in a given year elite or even close to it.

Eli, Big Ben, and Rivers were/are never elites -- they are true franchise QBs. There has to be a consensus if they were deem as elites. Brees is the lesser of the big four QBs, but no one ever question whether or not he is elite.

Ryan and Flacco -- no, they are not elites (and I doubt they will ever be considered as elites) -- have been in the league for much longer than Newton, Kaep and Dalton. Both Newton and Dalton have better stats than Ryan in their first three seasons; Kaep has accomplished just as much as Flacco did in the post-seasons in their first three years.

With the exception of the 2012 class, give me a draft class that was considered better than the 2011 class in the last decade (or since 2004).

I'll take the class of 05' and 08' over 11'.  

Who were the QBs selected in the first three rounds of those classes?

Quote:Well, there were guys drafted ahead of him that did just as poorly.  Horrible draft class.
This is not how any one objective sees it. He was the worst

see Rotoworld

"49ers acquired QB Blaine Gabbert from the Jaguars for a sixth-round pick.

We're stunned the Jags could get even that. Perhaps the biggest first-round bust of the post-lockout era
, Gabbert withers in the face of pressure like few in recent memory. That being said, he's now the favorite for No. 2 duties in San Francisco. Colt McCoy is a free agent. If anyone can salvage Gabbert's career, it's coach Jim Harbaugh, but there's no reason to believe Gabbert will ever develop into even a serviceable backup. He just doesn't have an NFL skill-set.
"

Hmm, don't think they are Jaguars fans. Maybe they should order up some of the ol' Gene smith kool aid, I hear the mods keep some in the fridge, say it gets better with age...

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Who were the QBs selected in the first three rounds of those classes?

It's not about the first three rounds, it's about the whole draft. 05' had 14 QB's drafted and 10 are still in the league, that's a decade long career.

Alex Smith

Aaron Rodgers (Him alone puts this class above 11')

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Matt Cassel

Kyle Orton

One game breaker, two game managers, and two serviceable starters. 

2008 has a two franchise guys, Flacco and Ryan. I'd take both over anyone from 11'. 

OK, I stand corrected on the '05 class. I only thought of Rodgers and Smith as the only two QBs that worked out long term. I forgot that Fitz, Orton, and Cassel -- decent starters at one point, but they are just good back-ups now -- were in that class.

As for Ryan and Flacco, they are definitely franchise QBs, but they both have been in the league for much longer than Newton, Kaep, and Dalton. If you compare their first three seasons in the league, I'd the 2011 class is more impressive.

To me Gabbert struggled with getting the ball out quick. He tried to read defenses and over thought things.

The best QBs takes what the defense gives them and take 2 big shots per half to keep them honest.

Quote:OK, I stand corrected

Well, that was inevitable, and you should have just stopped there.  You were flat out wrong from the start.

(This post was last modified: 07-01-2014, 02:38 AM by shangster.)

Wrong from the start? When did I ever claim the '11 QB class was bad...ohh wait, that was you. Care to back up that claim? Just because Gabbert, Ponder, and potentially Locker didn't work out, it doesnt mean the entire class was bad. I dont know...maybe 'you' were wrong from the start?

Quote: I dont know...

Well, you are right about this, but little (if anything) else.

Quote:Well, you are right about this, but little (if anything) else.
Lol....cant back it up, huh? I understand Pirkster. You're always right, even if you're wrong.

Quote:Lol....cant back it up, huh? I understand Pirkster. You're always right, even if you're wrong.

I already have.  On the other hand, you haven't.  The weight is on you to bring any semblance of an argument to the "debate," (and I use that term very loosely for your benefit) which you haven't.  It was a poor class, as the results speak for themselves.

It was seen as a weak class going in... http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...k-reaches/

...and the results more than backed that up with that class being called a "warning" to those shopping for QBs in 2014 ( http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...eedy-teams ...just as many of us referenced leading up to the draft.)    One of the worst classes in quite a while.

Quantity over quality would be the theme of that class.  But yeah, just keep running with your unfounded opinion like a child rather than consider the facts.  Don't ever dare let those get in the way of a disagreement based on principle/agenda rather than fact.

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2014, 02:59 PM by shangster.)

Just look at the success ratio of the 2011 class vs the other classes before that. Only 2012 and 2005 has better success ratio. 2008 was close as only Flacco and Ryan were long term franchise starters; Chad Henne is the only one left in that class that is still in the NFL. 2011 has Newton, Kaep, Dalton, and maybe Mallett but I doubt it. All the other one since 2004 pretty much sucked because only Stafford and maybe Bradford are long term starters.

When any draft class can produce 3 solid, long term starters, it's far from a bad class.

Does anyone have any video of Blaine throwing in SanFran?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-...ikes-early

I am curious if he'll ever be an NFL starting QB, but I assume he's done and will only be a backup for now on if anything.