Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles signs his deal as expected this morning.

Quote:You are a gift. To the message board.

Thanks.

I always love when people are bitter about how much pro athletes make.  Thousands of people go watch them....if that many people went and watched you at work, you would probably make more too.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He earned the opportunity to get a deal like this.. Whether he proves he was worth it is not yet known.

Quote:Harrrrrrrumph           Harrrrrrrrrrumph

"I didn't get a 'harrrumph' out of that guy!"

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

This means he'll be keeping his hottie girlfriend for a while.

Quote:"I didn't get a 'harrrumph' out of that guy!"

Give the governor harrumph!
Shock the world

Quote:"I didn't get a 'harrrumph' out of that guy!"

Oh, to have someone quote that movie on this board is such a joy.

That's a movie that couldn't be made today, that's for sure. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Actually he doesn't deserve any of it. He hasn't produced 1 TD in the NFL. It's just a gift.

Let's relate this statement to an ordinary job...

Say a person just got hired as a factory worker @ $38.5 yearly. Does this person NOT deserve the pay?

NH3...
"AZANE"

I'm glad that BB5 can continue concentrating on being the best that he can be w/o an contract destraction...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:That's a movie that couldn't be made today, that's for sure.

Why?

Quote:Why?

Seriously?

The Redskins trademarks were canceled today because a bunch of politicians found the team name offensive.

Watch the movie and let me know if a white guy could honestly do that movie today and not catch flak.  Mel Brooks himself has said there's no way in the politically correct environment we live in today where people think they have a right to not be offended he could make that movie.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

It'a Serious Shame that individuals or groups can change history as such. If I'm not mistaken, the Natives had no problem w/the name until the lobbyist got envolved...

I dislike the Skins because Dallas was My First Love (Prior to the birth of our Jaguars) wiping the sweat off my brows, but to be forced to chance their name is Ludicrous...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:Oh, to have someone quote that movie on this board is such a joy.

That's a movie that couldn't be made today, that's for sure. 

Ohh, it's twue, it's twuuue, it's twue, it's twue..

Quote:It'a Serious Shame that individuals or groups can change history as such. If I'm not mistaken, the Natives had no problem w/the name until the lobbyist got envolved...

I dislike the Skins because Dallas was My First Love (Prior to the birth of our Jaguars) wiping the sweat off my brows, but to be forced to chance their name is Ludicrous...

NH3...

A guy in my English101 class told us he's part Cherokee and two of his uncles both own Cherokee jeeps!

Quote:Ohh, it's twue, it's twuuue, it's twue, it's twue..

"I'm tired.... Tired of the game.... "
Signature goes here.

Quote:Seriously?

The Redskins trademarks were canceled today because a bunch of politicians found the team name offensive.

Watch the movie and let me know if a white guy could honestly do that movie today and not catch flak. Mel Brooks himself has said there's no way in the politically correct environment we live in today where people think they have a right to not be offended he could make that movie.

Yeah, I figured it was a half baked attempt at some sorta commentary on the ills of political correctness.

Unfortunately in your haste to broad brush society, you failed to consider the fact that Family Guy packs more racist jokes in one 30 minute episode than what's on that entire movie. On a Tuesday afternoon. On network television.

Quote:I assume he will make in one cheerful stroke of the pen, more than I will make in my whole life. Disgusting.

And just who is at fault for that?  Why is it so "disgusting"?  Is it because he maybe EARNED the contract that he just signed?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Why is it disgusting?
Because he will never make as much as Bortles. 

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Quote:Seriously?

Watch the movie and let me know if a white guy could honestly do that movie today and not catch flak.  Mel Brooks himself has said there's no way in the politically correct environment we live in today where people think they have a right to not be offended he could make that movie.

I don't think it could be made today, but not for the reasons listed above.

Simply put, Mel Brooks was brilliant, and I don't think there is a comedic movie director today that comes close.

There are two scenes from that movie that illustrates this point.

First, when the guy from the rooftop announces, "The sheriff's a -------------"

Later, this same sheriff, facing a hostile crowd, puts his own gun to his head and threatens to blow this -------- head off if the crowd doesn't cooperate. The white mob completely fell for it in a spectacular demonstration of collective stupidity.

With those two scenes, within the context of the movie, the epithet was effectively neutered.

The use of the word and other similar words and stereotypes in his movies weren't instruments of bigotry as much as they were comedic tools.

In short, Brooks was a comedic genius and, for want of better phrasing, an equal opportunity "offender."

Many have tried to replicate his humor. Very few have even come close to pulling it off successfully

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:I don't think it could be made today, but not for the reasons listed above.

Simply put, Mel Brooks was brilliant, and I don't think there is a comedic movie director today that comes close.

There are two scenes from that movie that illustrates this point.

First, when the guy from the rooftop announces, "The sheriff's a -------------"

Later, this same sheriff, facing a hostile crowd, puts his own gun to his head and threatens to blow this -------- head off if the crowd doesn't cooperate. The white mob completely fell for it in a spectacular demonstration of collective stupidity.

With those two scenes, within the context of the movie, the epithet was effectively neutered.

The use of the word and other similar words and stereotypes in his movies weren't instruments of bigotry as much as they were comedic tools.

In short, Brooks was a comedic genius and, for want of better phrasing, an equal opportunity "offender."

Many have tried to replicate his humor. Very few have even come close to pulling it off successfully

Completely agree with you on this.

The only thing that I do disagree with is that the movie could be made today.  Even with the pure genius of Brooks, the culture has changed.  People scramble to find things to be offended about, and while Brooks is an equal opportunity offender, some would still be outraged in the environment today.

There's an interview of Mel Brooks in the anniversary edition of the BluRay of the movie.  He said it himself that there's simply no way the movie could be made today because of how the environment has changed.

Slippery slope boys….