Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marijuana Breathalyzer Invented By Former B.C. Mountie

Marijuana Breathalyzer Invented By Former B.C. Mountie

A retired B.C. RCMP officer has spearheaded a breathalyzer designed to detect marijuana on a driver's breath.

Kal Malhi was inspired to develop the device after coming across a Swedish study about breath testing technology, according to the Delta Optimist.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/06/16/...ird%20News

Wants to join the "cereal box" dating service. I've dated enough flakes and nuts...all I want is the prize now.
[Image: mds111.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Soon to be a moot point everywhere!

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Too bad he can't cash in now. 

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

Quote:Soon to be a moot point everywhere!

Driving under the influence is going to be legalized?

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

No biggie, just grab some of that undetectable weed that Tommy knows about.

Quote:Driving under the influence is going to be legalized?

No, read the article. It just said the test can tell you smoked. Soon, that won't be an offense. They'll have to use the good old field sobriety test anyway.

There is a Cheech and Chong bit in here somewhere.

Quote:No, read the article. It just said the test can tell you smoked. Soon, that won't be an offense. They'll have to use the good old field sobriety test anyway.

This breathalyzer can apparently test if you have smoked in the last two hours. It will always be an offense to drive under the influence of a substance.

Quote:This breathalyzer can apparently test if you have smoked in the last two hours. It will always be an offense to drive under the influence of a substance.

Bingo.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Bingo.

The problem will be in the details - setting a standard which is determined to be over the line. Good luck with that.

I guess we'll have to call on Dudley Doright.

Quote:Soon to be a moot point everywhere!
Why?

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Why?

Just going on the assumption that before too long weed will be legal everywhere - except in the Bible Belt. That might take a while longer.

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2014, 05:40 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

Quote:No, read the article. It just said the test can tell you smoked. Soon, that won't be an offense. They'll have to use the good old field sobriety test anyway.

The point in the breathalyzer is to show that there is something in your system that may cause impairment. They would use the marijuana-related breathalyzer in the same way they would use the alcohol-related breathalyzer. Field sobriety usually comes after using one of these.

I must be missing your point because there would be a huge need for these things even if weed is legal. 

Quote:The point in the breathalyzer is to show that there is something in your system that may cause impairment. They would use the marijuana-related breathalyzer in the same way they would use the alcohol-related breathalyzer. Field sobriety usually comes after using one of these.

I must be missing your point because there would be a huge need for these things even if weed is legal. 

I was just wondering as to the level to determine impairment. The breathalyzer has a determined level of intoxication (0.08 in FL. - how was that determined, anyway?) Who and how will the weed impairment level be set? Even if you have a mechanism to determine usage will that be all that's needed, or will you have to have exceeded a certain level of toking? 

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2014, 10:54 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:I was just wondering as to the level to determine impairment. The breathalyzer has a determined level of intoxication (0.08 in FL. - how was that determined, anyway?) Who and how will the weed impairment level be set? Even if you have a mechanism to determine usage will that be all that's needed, or will you have to have exceeded a certain level of toking? 

Studies have proven that regular users of marijuana build up a measurable tolerance to THC. This is different than a alcohol user claiming he can hold his liquor better than others. These tests measured reaction times and decision making, and the results were remarkable. Determining a fair standard will be interesting.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2014, 12:12 AM by JagNGeorgia.)

Quote:I was just wondering as to the level to determine impairment. The breathalyzer has a determined level of intoxication (0.08 in FL. - how was that determined, anyway?) Who and how will the weed impairment level be set? Even if you have a mechanism to determine usage will that be all that's needed, or will you have to have exceeded a certain level of toking? 

I was  under the impression that this was a handheld device which would not be the same machine you agreed to use upon receiving your license. In other words, this machine (as far as I know) would only register the presence of marijuana on the breath, not the amount that is in his system. 

In Georgia, there is a DUI per se and a DUI -- Less Safe (encompasses marijuana-related DUIs). It doesn't require a certain quantity, only that a foreign substance has caused impairment and it shows in their driving. The device in the article would verify that the marijuana is on his breath and likely in his system too. The officers would still be required to verify their findings with field sobriety evaluations. Obviously, weed is a lot harder to quantify but it can be done. Like rj said, however, it wont be as accurate for those with higher tolerances. 

It probably wont change the criminal charge... you can still get a lesser version of DUI while under the influence of marijuana. It'll make THAT charge harder to fight. 

That's my guess at least.